Month's Goal: $300, Received: $230.00 - (77%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 653 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Ingraham Model 17 clock motor repair/replacement

I have an Ingraham Model 17 clock motor from a 1950's PAM clock that is not working. I've taken the motor apart as far as I know how, to where I can lift the pinion shaft/gear and magnet disc out of the motor. Everything looks clean, and the pinion spins smoothly, but it still doesn't work. Anyone have suggestions, or possibly know where to find a replacement?

This is the second non-working clock motor that I've been dealing with today. I'm going to submit a separate post for the other one (a Synchron model 610 I43R).

Registered user.

Default Re: Ingraham Model 17 clock motor repair/replacement (RE: bakerb95619)

Have you checked if the coil is open-circuit (a break in it)?
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Repair yours if you can or retrofit, a direct replacement is NLA - For what it's worth I would retro another appropriate type as the Ingraham units are toilets - Best - CW

Default Re: Ingraham Model 17 clock motor repair/replacement (RE: Mike Phelan)

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how to open the case to check the coil. Here are some (blurry) pictures of the motor:

Hi Bill - What Mike was suggesting is the coil on the motor portion of the mech can 'open' like a burned out incandescent light bulb. That's the first step in triage to determining the possibility of repair for this mech. You can check it easily to determine electrical continuity, a volt-ohm meter, or digital readout multi-meter, or rig up a 7-1/2W C7 night light or Christmas lamp in series with the coil, if it glows dimly powered up, coil is ok, and you can determine how or not to proceed. Best - CW
    Last edited by coldwar; 01-03-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: clarity

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Ingraham Model 17 clock motor repair/replacement (RE: coldwar)

Bill, keep in mind that these old motors were not built with any thought of later repairs, and were expected to be disgarded and replaced when they quit working. Some respond to repair efforts better than others.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Ingraham Model 17 clock motor repair/replacement (RE: harold bain)

I got a bit further in, but it looks like I can't get much further without special tools:

The circuit is open, so my guess is one of the thin coil wires is broke.

Any ideas on where to get a replacement for this motor?

Thanks for the help!

Registered user.

It sure is a small motor! If you can get it open, there'll be someone that will be able to rewind the coil.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

I have a number of new old stock rotors. My list says I have one that might work for you, it is a 17A not just 17. It has a 8 tooth gear on the end of the shaft. If you think it might work for you call me during the evening at 414-463-4681 or drop me a email.

Henry Weiland

looking for model 17 replacement where can I find one