Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1327 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Sterling Clock Company

This clock i found is a electric clock made for automobiles in the 1926-1930 era,STERLING ELECTRIC,writing on dial,on hte back STERLING CLOCK Co. Lasalle,Ill Patent PD"G. How many of this were made are they collectable automoblie clocks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010110-10.jpeg   181e_12-withdate.JPG  

Default Re: Sterling Clock Company (RE: TONY68131)

If your Sterling electric car clock has the slow/fast adjuster on the backside, it's probably the clock mechanism patented by W. H. Greenleaf in 1915 the subject of patent number 1,164,602.

I note that not all Sterling electric car clocks used the referenced patent mechanism and that there were later versions of the Sterling car clock.

They were used in Studebaker cars well into the 1940's and beyond.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: Sterling Clock Company (RE: Eckmill)

patented usa no.1563431 no.1709146 patent PD'S These two patents are on the back, do they specify the year made?

Default Re: Sterling Clock Company (RE: TONY68131)

Hi,I am new to the site,I have just found today a 31-32 chevrolet auto.clock,with the fast /slow set screw on back..It appears in good condition..What is it worth,if anything ? Thanks for the future info..

Talking Re: Sterling Clock Company (RE: mopars)

Mopars asks if a clock from a '31-32 chevvy is worth anything.

It all depends....

To the owner/car collector with a '31 Chevy and it looks good; its worth something but don't ask how much. Worth a little more too if it actually runs and more on top of that if it will keep time within a minute a day. And, if it says Chevrolet on the face its worth even more provided the face is original. If the Chevy face is somebody's artistic handywork, then it adds about two bits.

Collecting car clocks is fun and collectors who collect car clocks usually only collect either those that are wind-up or those that are electric and once in a while there's the eclectic car clock collector that must have both wind-up and electrics.

If you're looking to find out how much you could get for your Chevy clock, go to one of the auction sites and look for auction hammer prices for car clocks.

Quoting fair prices is like stepping on a land-mine. 'Been there, done that, got called nasty names. Do your own market research.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California