Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1753 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Wadsworth Pilot Pocket Watch

Inherited my Grandmother's watch;Case identified as Wadsworth Pilot, 25 year, warranted, Serial # 1471372.
    The works are identified as follows Eterna W. Co., 15 Jewel, 2 adjustments, 560207.
    Wondered if anyone could provide history, age, care recommendations, evaluation of the watch (i.e. was it viewed as a quality piece).

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wadsworth Pilot Pocket Watch (RE: Jeff P)

Jeff the movement sounds to me like a Swiss made one.I would not think quality was high perhaps ,in the middle.
    Just my opinion on what i know.
    If you could post a picture it would help to answer this.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Thanks
    Anybody else familiar with this works and case?

Jeff

Blog Entries

Jeff could you post pictures so it could be confirmed Swiss or not?
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Wadsworth Pilot Pocket Watch (RE: Kevin W.)

Don't have a picture, but it's Swiss.
    Labeled on the dial and did a little research on Eterna.W
    A Swiss company started in 1858 and still in business, although it has undergone some changes over the years, as you might expect.
    Figure the watch is about 1914.

Jeff

Registered user.

Hi, Jeff, and welcome to the NAWCC message board. As you already know, the Eterna movement of your grandmother's watch is Swiss. The movement was probably imported into the US where it was cased in the American-made Wadsworth gold-filled (not "solid gold") case. The Wadsworth Watch Case Co. was located in Newport, Kentucky, just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, Ohio. It was a common practice to import Swiss movements and case them here to save on import duties. Wadsworth cases had an excellent reputation and were widely used. If you want more information on Wadsworth, a search on this MB or Google will probably turn up what you need.

As for Eterna, apparently you have already researched the firm. Quite a bit can be learned from a Google search. I am not "into" the Swiss watch industry, but I believe they have an excellent reputation. Eterna gave birth to, and later spun off ETA. S.A., today probably the largest and most important Swiss manufacturer of watch movements. They supply movements to many well-known Swiss brands. The name Eta comes from Eterna, minus the "ern." ETA S.A. has an interesting web site. Without a photo of the movement of your watch, we can't comment on the quality or age. Even a photo might not help with some Swiss watches. Sorry, but values cannot be discussed on this MB.

As for care, if the watch is to be run regularly and worn, and you don't know that it has been overhauled recently, then it should be serviced (cleaned, oiled and adjusted), which can be fairly costly these days. If you don't plan to run the watch, then the overhaul isn't necessary. Just keep it in a safe, dry place, and don't drop it! If you have any questions, just attach them to this thread.

This thread might be moved to the Euro forum.

Larry Treiman

Arrow Re: Wadsworth Pilot Pocket Watch (RE: Larry Treiman)

Thanks Jerry for the heads up on this one, I am going to move this over to the Euro Forum now for additional response.

Regards,
    Bryan

Thanks for all the info.

Jeff