Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: BOBT@TWIGSDIGS.COM)

Bob,

I am attaching a tabulation of several of the clocks from the Horolovar Collection that were offered in various of your dad's Silent Auctions. Hope it will be of some use.

Vic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HC clocks in SA.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	428.7 KB 
ID:	62385  

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: any400day)

Thank you very much Victor,

Your chart is very well done and it will certainly be of use.

Interestingly, there exists a copy of the Horolovar Collection with prices annotated on certain clocks:

HC 2, 3, 18, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 44, and 45

Presumably these are Silent Auction upset prices and since two of the clocks (18 and 44) also have prices paid it seems that they were copied from a Silent Auction catalog which included the prices paid list.

You have all the Silent Auction Catalogs from 9 to 27 and and the second CTSA is online.

It seems very curious that not one of the clocks listed above appears in your chart - even as "Not Sold". I wonder where all these clocks went.

If anyone following this thread has any Silent Auction Catalogs No. 3 through No. 8 it would be very helpful to our research.

Thanks,

Bob

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: BOBT@TWIGSDIGS.COM)

My dumb mistake. Most of the clocks listed in my last post are in the collection of Mun Chor Weng and are already included in the "Horolovar Collection" section of the biography.

We would still like to find the missing Silent Auctions.

We are finally ready to announce the inclusion of Mun Chor Weng’s History of the Horolovar Collection as part of the biography of Charles Terwilliger. We apologize for the delay - it simply took more time than we expected.

A link to the history can be found here on the Collection page which includes details of some of the clocks that were in included in the Collection:

http://www.twigsdigs.com/cot/collection/collection.htm

The entire biography can be found here:

http://www.twigsdigs.com/cot/

great news, interesting reading.

keep up the good work!!!

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: antiekeradio)

Bob, I think I've found an error in the biography you have posted. In discussing COT's collection you say
    By the mid 40's he had accumulated a large and organized collection of "modern" (post WW II German) 400-Day Clocks - at least one of each make and model he had found.
    I suspect this should really be mid-50's based on the other information you have in the biography, including his participation in the NAWCC and beginning his clock business in the mid 1940's(?). Actually it would not have been possible to have a collection of post-WWII clocks until the mid-to-late 50's, since no post-WWII clocks were made at all until 1947 and major production didn't commence until 1949-1950. Also, Kaiser only started production in 1954, Staiger in 1956-58, and Nisshindo in 1965, so a truly complete collection of post-WWII clocks could not have been put together before the late 60's.

You also mention that he bought quantities of 400-Day clocks from Post Office damaged goods sales, most from GI purchases. We know that PX sales of German 400-Day clocks first started only in 1949, which would confirm that "mid-50's" would be the correct dating for getting his collection together to include post-WWII clocks. Perhaps a more accurate writing of that paragraph would be:

"By the mid 50's he had accumulated a large and organized collection of "modern" (post-WWII German) 400-Day Clocks - at least one of each make and model he had found, as well as many older clocks. At this time collectors did not have much interest in torsion pendulum clocks so he was also able to purchase antique and unusual examples at the regular auction galleries. These older clocks formed the nucleus of the Horolovar Collection and the photographs found in the later editions on the Repair guide."

I found this while proofing the article being published in The Torsion Times for Chapter 168. Will appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by John Hubby; 12-11-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: John Hubby)

John,

Thank you for your continued assistance and you are absolutely right about the dates. I have replaced the paragraph.

I have taken some time off from the biography but I am now working on finding pertinent references and articles in the Bulletin.

Bob

I'm' sorry but I won't be attending the Florida regional, but I'm happy to announce that another section of the biography has (finally) been completed. The NAWCC Bulletin section includes all the Bulletin articles I could find. There is also a summary of Charles' NAWCC activities in a Memoriam.

Description and photos of another clock from the Horolovar Collection has been added to the collection section of the Terwilliger biography.

As described by Mun Chor Weng:

One of the few clocks in the Horolovar Collection that a has round movement, this one is suspended by brackets in a beautiful 4-glass mahogany case with swing doors to the front and back.

Here is a direct link:
    http://www.twigsdigs.com/cot/collection/21/21.htm

Bob

Any update to this project? Is Bob still among the members here? Hoping for the best - CW

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: coldwar)

Quote Originally Posted by coldwar View Post
    Any update to this project? Is Bob still among the members here? Hoping for the best - CW
    Hi -- I am still among the living and still monitoring the thread. I have only fixed a few typos in the biography. I have a number of books from my father's library that unfortunately are not being utilized by anyone and I have decided to sell them. See: http://www.twigsdigs.com/library/library.html

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: John Hubby)

I hope I have straightened this mess out. A virus corrupted all the default (index.html) files on my entire site, I spent most of today renaming or changing a lot of files including the biography.
    The original URL should work now,

The altered one I listed today should be ignored.

John, I hope you will be able to delete some of the confusing posts made today.

I promised that there would soon be another clock added to those currently included in the Horolovar Collection pages. It was contributed by Mun Chor Weng and it is a real dilly - Take a look at a preview photo

http://www.twigsdigs.com/cot/collection/16/16a.html

Having spent just about the whole day working on my web pages it occurs to me that there are other things there that might interest you guys.

My repair business is linked on the home page. This page is accessed from my online Yellow Pages listing.

Click on "Horology" and at least take a look at the "Heroes of Horology"

http://www.twigsdigs.com/

Peace,

Bob

As Promised,

Possibly the most visually spectacular 400-Day clock in the Horolovar Collection - clock number 16 - has been added to the Collection section of the biography. Thanks again to Mun Chor Weng who located the clock and provided the descriptive text.

Start from the main page and click on "Horolovar Collection", then the thumbnail for 16.

Also note that Charles Terwilliger's library is available for inspection.

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: coldwar)

Quote Originally Posted by coldwar View Post
    It's been some time, but I have finally brought my fathers biography as far as I can. Part of the re-write was to make the entire biography self-contained so it can be installed anyplace on the web or even on a standalone CD. It has always been my hope that the biography would find a permanent home.
    The URL is http://www.twigsdigs.com/cot/
    My email is: bobt@twigsdigs.com

Nice, Bob. Maybe the site is what you were after, and it's fine. I was thinking that if you made the biography a PDF file, you could place it here, where it would be preserved and likely copied several times (to ensure it's longevity)
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.