Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger

This biography has been in the making for some time and it is not complete. My thanks to those who have worked with me so far, and I hope some of you in this Forum will be able to fill in some the missing pieces. My father was involved in many pursuits. The various pages within the site indicate where additional information would be welcome.

http://www.twigsdigs.com/cot/

Thanks,

Bob Terwilliger
    mailto:bobt@twigsdigs.com
    Last edited by John Hubby; 12-21-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Edited URL so it will work.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: BOBT@TWIGSDIGS.COM)

Hi Bob, link does not work for me.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: Kevin W.)

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    Hi Bob, link does not work for me.
    I fixed it, should work now. Bob, thanks much for posting. I hope the folks here can help fill in the blanks, I'll be sending along some info shortly myself.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: John Hubby)

Thanks John, works fine now.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Blog Entries

John,

As one who has long attributed an interest in these clocks to my first copy of the "guide", I enjoyed the story as it has thus far evolved. Thanks for writing it, and thanks for making it available to us. I look forward to the continuation of your father's bio.

Doug

Default Re: A Personal Biography Of Charles Terwilliger (By: BOBT@TWIGSDIGS.COM)

My thanks to all who have expressed interest in, or contributed to, my fathers biography. Special thanks to John Hubby for fixing up the link.

I have located ten more Silent Auction Prices Paid and I intend to upload these complete.
    (Some really fine clocks were sold for remarkably low prices)

I also added an amusing picture to the bottom of the "Photos" page.

Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by BOBT@TWIGSDIGS.COM; 12-22-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Hello Bob - Found this leaflet while rummaging - Was this clock recovered? What a beauty, and the prospect of it's loss is dreadful - Best - CW

This is clock no. 30 in the Horolovar Collection, it undoubtedly the most beautiful clock in the collection – and it has a story.

It was kept in the living room of our home. One morning my parents came down to make breakfast and found the pendulum next to the back door which had been forced.

The clock was gone. Apparently the thieves were spooked and ran off because nothing else was stolen. They had dropped the pendulum in their hurry. My father reported it and put your little notice in the next Silent Auction.

Some time later we were quite surprised to find an almost identical clock at a NAWCC Mart. It had the pendulum and was not our clock.
    So there are at least two in existence – and one probably doesn’t have the right pendulum.

Hi Bob, When "Next - Charles meets the Seventies and Eighties"?

Thanks,
    José Mª (Spain)

Hola José

I'm pleased you are paying attention. The seventies and eighties are turning out to be difficult - especially getting the dates right.

I have been working on it and in brief:

His forced retirement was the best thing that could have happened. He was now free to earn his living doing things he really enjoyed.

The Horolovar company was successful and its operations were on "auto-pilot" requiring little attention from him so he began to concentrate on the Silent Auctions, reproduction clocks, and other horological ventures.

While the seventies and eighties are in progress, other areas are being expanded almost daily. See the Silent Auctions and The Horolovar Collection.

In November 1964 an Original Ignatz sold for $161.35 in the 2nd Silent Auction.

Bob

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

To all, I've made Bob's thread into a "sticky" so it will be seen by whomever opens our Forum. Bob has advised me he is making a major update of his dad's biography site and will be posting the details here shortly.

I'll add to his appeal to all for any info you may have regarding Charles Terwilliger. That will help all of us to understand all that we can about this most significant contributor to our knowedge of 400-Day clocks.

The biography site is here: CHARLES TERWILLIGER

Default Update - The Charles Terwilliger Biography (By: John Hubby)

The online biography of Charles Terwilliger has been significantly expanded since I first announced it here. Most of his activities in the seventies and eighties are now included.

* Silent Auctions - Many prices paid have been added. If you have any old catalogs the prices paid make interesting reading. Thanks to Victor Tang of Singapore you can find (with some clicking around) the complete Nov. 1964 2nd Silent Auction. Photos, descriptions and prices paid.

* The Horolovar Collection now has some exceptionally nice photos courtesy of Mun Chor Weng of Singapore. We would like to locate as many clocks as we can that were included in the Horolovar Collection and post photos on the site. Photos do not have to be of super quality - we would just like to account for as many as possible. As an extra bonus the Collection pages now include a quiz about a secret code within the book.

* The watchcock section has been expanded.

* Some photos have been added to Photos page.

* Almost every area has been expanded or edited in some way.

Bob

Try
    http://www.twigsdigs.com/cot/index.html

It shouldn't be necessary.

Bob

Some interesting updates have been added to the Terwilliger biography and there are more to come. Charles' daughter Anne has been scanning photos from Charles' personal albums and a few of these photos have been added to the Photos section.

Mun Chor Weng of Singapore probably owns more clocks from The Horolovar Collection than anyone else. He has also done extensive studies of the Collection and its individual clocks.

We now have nos. 2, 3, 22, 23, 25 and 30 - with No. 28 and perhaps four or five more in the works. If you own a HC clock, please contact me.

Mun Chor Weng is also composing an essay on the Collection as a whole including details of its disposition and discussions of individual clocks. These will be forthcoming so check back from time to time.

Bob
    mailto:bobt@twigsdigs.com
    Last edited by BOBT@TWIGSDIGS.COM; 02-21-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add email

There have been no updates to my father's biography for some time and I apologize. I had a major hardware and software crash with much loss of data. I am now back in business.

I must make a special apology to Mun Chor Weng who has spent considerable time preparing a comprehensive history of the Horolovar Collection - and waiting to see it go online. I owe him my thanks and I hope to announce the addition of his essay here soon.

If you have anything at all concerning the collection (Or Charles Terwilliger, or the history of the Horolovar Company) please inform me.

The biography

Bob
    bobt@twigsdigs.com