Month's Goal: $300, Received: $140.00 - (47%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1712 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Pocket Watch with Owner's Name on Dial and Movement

Anybody have any idea what company would have made a pocket watch with the original owners name on the dial and also on the movement? The movement is 17 jewels, as most, but has a serial number in the 340,000. The name on the dial comes back to a man that was a mayor of a Texas city from 1914-1918. That Texas city name is also on the dial and movement. He died in the 20's. I learned that while he wasn't a mayor he was a jeweler and eye doctor. It has a Philadelphia watch case. I know this is a stab in the dark but does anyone have any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Pocket Watch with Owner's Name on Dial and Movement (RE: Wagon25)

I have been reliably informed that this is far from uncommon. I saw a watch some months ago which had the letters of the owner's name (Clinton Hale) in stead of houyr markers on the dial. Hale was the boss of a railroad at the tuirn of the century. So it seems that getting that done was just a matter of money

Smile Re: Pocket Watch with Owner's Name on Dial and Movement (RE: MartyR)

Hi Wagon25:

Although dials could have been specially ordered with an individual's name on it, it is much more likely that you are talking about a private label watch, ordered in small batches, carrying the name of the jeweler for sale in his store. Also, it was common for jewelers to also be opticians, fitting and selling the glasses in the same shop.

It would be helpful if you could post pictures of the movement (the "works") and markings stamped inside of the case, the clearer and sharper, the better. Other pictures will help a little, but these are the most important. We may be able to identify it by the shape of the plates. In trying to open the watch, you might find the information in "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" useful.

To post an image, scroll to the top of the thread and click on "FAQ," then scroll down to "vBulletin FAQ" and click on the "How to post images" and follow the instructions. Note that there is no indication of attaching a file (picture) until you go to actually post your thread or your reply. The picture does not show up in the "Instant Reply" text box in which you've written your thread or your reply, nor does the picture appear in the "Preview." You can test your efforts in the Just Practicing and Learning Forum.

Its also helpful if you can post all the markings that are on the movement (the "works") in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Pocket Watch with Owner's Name on Dial and Movement (RE: Kent)

Thanks. I'll will get some pictures uploaded in the next 20 minutes.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Okay. The dial is marked "A.H. Russell Weatherford, TX" and the movement is marked "A.H. Russell Weatherford, TX 17 jewels adjusted". The actual serial number 349307. I didn't see any other markings. It's heavy and seems to be well made.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stroller 108.jpg   Stroller 116.jpg  

That's a Hamilton, if I'm not mistaken. The plate layout looks correct to me, at least, and the SN data is consistent.

If it is indeed a Hamilton, the SN would indicate that it's a grade 975 from about 1906.

http://www.nawcc-ch149.com/db_resch/hamilton_506.html

Default Re: Pocket Watch with Owner's Name on Dial and Movement (RE: ben_hutcherson)

Thank you!

Thumbs up Re: Pocket Watch with Owner's Name on Dial and Movement (RE: Wagon25)

Good looking Hamilton private label!

You might try some Google searches on the name and location and see what these turn up. Also if there is a historical society in Weatherford, TX you might write them and see if they have any records of this individual.

Fred

Smile Re: Pocket Watch with Owner's Name on Dial and Movement (RE: Fred Hansen)

Wagon25:

You can see a catalog description of your Hamilton Watch Co. grade No. 975 at the bottom of page 82 of the 1903 Oy Company Catalog. As you described it, the watch case was made by the Philadelphia Watch Case Co.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Pocket Watch with Owner's Name on Dial and Movement (RE: Kent)

Thanks everyone. This is more than I ever thought I would know about this pocket watch. I appreciate all the help.

I also found a A. H. Russell in Tx. In the 1910 Census, that worked for the Railroad. He was a Freight Clerk in the Railroad Office there. I can send you a copy of the Census if you would like a copy.