Month's Goal: $300, Received: $25.00 - (8%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1699 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Class Servicing Pocket Watches - Purchasing a pocket watch

I am going to be taking the course below and have no experience in pocket watch repair. I am told that I can bring my own pocket watch and I only have an Omega pocket watch that was just serviced. I would like to purchase an inexpensive pocket watch that will be easy to work on and provide me a good introduction into pocket watch repair.

I did purchase the book "Simplified Mechanical Watch Repair for Profit: An illustrated Guide" that I will review before this course.

Can anyone recommend a good watch for me to purchase that I could bring to this course? I am looking for something not to expensive since this is my first time in cleaning/servicing a pocket watch.

WS-111 Servicing a Pocket Watch for the Beginner

This 2 day workshop will introduce the student to the proper method to service a pocket watch. The class will examine American watches. Learn how to:

• Remove the movement from the case
    • Examine and evaluate a movement
    • Disassemble the movement
    • Clean the movement
    • Re-assemble and lubricate the movement
    • Re-case, time and adjust the movement

Default Re: Class Servicing Pocket Watches - Purchasing a pocket watch (RE: dalesr)

I would suggest a low jeweled (7 to 11) american pw to start with. Easy to work with and no one cries if it doesn´t turn out well

Blog Entries

Default Re: Class Servicing Pocket Watches - Purchasing a pocket watch (RE: MFRC1956)

I used an 1886 15 jewel elgin 16S to start with but I had the advantage of playing with a few other watches for about a year and a half before taking the course. You will enjoy the course and drool at the equipment. I stayed at the Holiday Inn about 3 miles from the school, there are also B&Bs nearby if you want to go a little cheaper. I can also recommend a place called Bully's, about a mile from the school, for drinks and dinner, a little pricier than many places but friendly and well stocked. You will probably be taken on a tour of the museum as well which is very enjoyable. Look around the gift shop and find some great books for your enjoyment and education and if you are a member of the NAWCC you get a discount. I wish they had a few more advanced courses for the layman. I can also recommend the basic microlathe course if you ever plan on buying a lathe. Good luck and have lots of fun.

Default Re: Class Servicing Pocket Watches - Purchasing a pocket watch (RE: richiec)

Riciec has teh right idea. Start with a a 16 size 15 jewel, prefereably matal dial watch. With lower jewel counts you run a significant risk of worn bearings which make initial; repairs harder. !5 Jewel watches cost littel more than lower jewel count watches so the added quality costs little.

I recommend 16 size because these are 1/2 or 3/4 plate movements which are easier to re assemble than 18 size full plate movements which require that you learn a few added tricks.

Also a broken jewel is easier to spot than a worn bearing.

You can do a quick fix on a metal bearing but it does not last.

Metal dials are less likely to chip or crack as you learn how to remove them

Default Re: Class Servicing Pocket Watches - Purchasing a pocket watch (RE: Dr. Jon)

I look forward to taking this class and thank you all for this input.

My wife has a Westclox Bull's Eye that was her father's $1 pocket watch. It has sentimental value and it still does run but a bit slow. I was hoping that I could get this watch to run accurately. I do realize that this watch has no jewels but was hoping a good cleaning and oiling would do the trick. What do you think?

I have seen on Ebay watches from Elgin with 7 jewels and 16 jewels ranging from $25 and greater. I am hoping to get a watch for about $30 that is working but needs cleaning. Hopefully I will find one before my class in May of 2010.

Ray

Blog Entries

Default Re: Class Servicing Pocket Watches - Purchasing a pocket watch (RE: dalesr)

I would not go with the Westclox.These were not really made to be cleaned and oiled like a American pocket watch.if you follow the suggestions made you will be fine.
    Most people do a duncan swish on those Westclox pocket watches.
    I would spend the extra bucks and go for 15.The 7 jewel plates are harder to get pivots in place.A higher jewelled watch is easier to assemble.
    I learned on a 7 jewel and it was a mistake.
    Last edited by Kevin W.; 12-04-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: more to add
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Class Servicing Pocket Watches - Purchasing a pocket watch (RE: Kevin W.)

Kevin,

Thanks for letting me know. So I will look for a 15 jewel elgin 16S to start with based. Dr. Jon also recommended 16 size because these are 1/2 or 3/4 plate movements which are easier to re assemble than 18 size full plate movements.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Dalesr, you will find that the dollar watches were riveted together, not screwed so they are best left for later on.

Default Re: Class Servicing Pocket Watches - Purchasing a pocket watch (RE: richiec)

Richiec,

Can I oil the $1 watches without dissembly? I do not plan on taking these dollar watches to class but would like to oil them to see if they keep better time. I know they are cheap and were meant to be disposable but can I service them?

I may buy a lathe down the road but not right now. I am also learning clocks and eventually I will need a lathe. At that time, I think I would take the lathe course. I heard the course was very good.

I am currently having a lot of fun with clocks learning the T & S with Count Wheel and plan on learning Rack & Snail. I have always been interested in pocket watches and hopefully this course will be a Win Win for me by providing me a better understanding of pocket watches and hopefully help me with my clocking specifically platform escapements.

Ray

I found a Elgin 16 size pocket watch with 15 jewels and was able to buy it on Ebay. I want to thank everyone for their input on this. I will bring this watch to the WS-111 Servicing a Pocket Watch for the Beginner and review the book "Simplified Mechanical Watch Repair for Profit: An illustrated Guide" that I will review before this course.

Any other recommendations before I take this course?

-Ray

Watch Purchased

EXCELLENT VINTAGE ELGIN 16 SIZE POCKET WATCH 15 JEWELS SERIAL # 33798095 (DATES 1932/1933) WITH KEYSTONE STEEL (BASE METAL #556859) CASE. BEING SOLD IN AS BOUGHT CONDITION. THE WATCH IS CURRENTLY RUNNING, NOT TIMED, MOST LIKELY NEEDS CLEANING. WATCH HAS BEAUTIFUL DIAL AND HANDS AND APPEARS ALL ORIGINAL.

Blog Entries

Looks like a good choice, if anything breaks, parts are likely available. Have lots of fun at the class.