Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1846 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Waltham Car Clock

This is more like a watch movment, however, this comes with a 8 days movement, so I decide to post this on clock thread.
    I wonder if this is a car clock.
    If this is a car clock, I am curious how to mount this on a car.
    In order to set the hands, Is using a finger correct way just like other clock?
    If anyone can help me. I am appreciate so much.
    Thank you!
    Best regards,
    Rono

serial number 19982295
    70mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8d1.JPG   8d2.JPG   8d3.JPG  

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: Rono Takagawa)

Some of these were in "special housings" and were used in early automobiles. Other were traveling clocks. You are corrrect that this is a watch movement. The setting of the hand would be like a standard watch, pull the crown, set the hands and push the crown back in place. There are quite a few different models of these. Some with wind indicators and quite a few from Europe. There nice to have in the collection.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: bkerr)

bkerr is correct and these clocks had many uses; althought they are often referred to as auto or car clocks. The models used in actual cars generally had a much longer stem. I believe once mounted in the dash, the crown could be assessed just below the dash for winding and setting the clock

At the time of their use, new cars did not come equiped with clocks. The auto clock was an after market option, an Waltham was one the favorite and best of the American brands. European cars generally had European (Swiss and etc.) makes of clocks.

You might want to also contact some of the antique auto clubs and ask your question as to how they were specifically mounted. I have heard many mountings would also facilitate the easy removal of the clock for the use of the clock in hotels and etc. when owner was away from home.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: lamarw)

This Timepiece appears to be a Waltham 8 Day Automobile clock. (Winding Button at the 6'o clock posiion) The movement is a 37 Size. 7 Jewels. S/N indicates date of manufacture Circa 1914.

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: Frank Menez)

Yep---model 37. This automobile/travel clock is an 8 day and has two main springs.
    This model was called "the workhorse"!

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: burnz)

Thank you so much for detail information. I can see a fin around the clock so I am assuming the clock fit on slit. I made image of this. as Bkerr mentioned I try to pull the crown to set the time, but it is fixed, I couldn't find a lever nor a pin so I came to set with my finger directory on hour hand.
    I am planning to clean this clock tonight so I will find out if this part is broken or not.
    Best regards,
    Rono
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wal.jpg  

Be sure to release the power on those springs. As other stated there are two barrels. The springs are getting pricey if they have to be replaced. Check the clutch, you should NEVER have to move the minute hand by removing the crystal and manually forcing it around. Hope noting got broke.

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: burnz)

Hi Bkerr
    Thank you for tips, I just finished cleaning the clock. the problem was the push rod which sit in the center of the castle wheel and a shaft got stuck. By putting new watch grease made it work as it should.
    one of the main spring was broke at the end (not on the arbor side). I made new hole on the spring to be able to hook on the barrel. It is running fine now. This broken spring was seems replacement from past. It seems to be made with softer material I may need to replace it again sometimes.
    Thank you
    Rono

Banned

Here are photos of two of them. The long stem one was in my grandfather's 1918 Saxon, and the other came from his 1922 Franklin. He said the one with the long stem was mounted in the dashboard. There was a hole drilled through, and the clock inserted through the hole. Then the stem was screwed in from the bottom, and a wingnut on the back secured it with a spring steel bracket. The other one was mounted on the face of the dashboard, with a bakelite spacer and a couple of small round head wood screws. The screws holding the bakelite to the clock now are ones he put on after he removed the clock from the car. My dad had a 1933 Plymouth coupe that had an eight day clock mounted on a clip that slid on the right side of the rear-view mirror. The mirror had an unmirrored portion that allowed the dial to be seen. I remember that car well - I drove it around the farm some, when I was about ten or so. (I could just barely reach the pedals, and used to use the emergency brake to stop. - BY the way, that emergency brake was POSITIVE! It had a band that clamped around a flywheel on the driveshaft. As you applied it, it tendd to grab and get tighter. None of this business of trying to expand internal rear drums with the little force you can get on a cable.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waltham 8 Day Car Clocks.JPG   Waltham Car clocks open.JPG  
    Last edited by Dave B; 11-25-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: Dave B)

Hello Rono,

Your watch/clock is Waltham's Traveling Clock version; it came a leather foldup case. You see them on ebay occasionally. They are normally 7 jewel movements, but you occasionally find a 15 jewel version. I had a 15 jewel version once.

They also sold a 15 jewel version to the US Navy that was mounted in a wooden case as "comparing watch".

They are rugged watches unfortunately finding mainsprings (needs 2) is becoming difficult and expensive.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: Andy Dervan)

My Waltham Travel Clock, and Waltham Automobile Clock:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waltham_8DAYS_Travel_Clock-1.jpg   Waltham_8DAYS_Automobile_Clock-1.jpg  

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: Wayne C. Anderson)

I have a new talk I developed called "War to Boudoir" that investigates the Waltham 37 size 8 day models. There were two models from 1910 and 1926. In addition to the travel and car clocks, they appear in gimbaled chronometers, table clocks, wall clocks, etc.

Some of the unusual ones are the Chicago Watchman's Clock and the locking base telephone timer used by long distance operators in the early 20th C.

Waltham made two lines of miniature Banjo Clocks and those were reproduced by Foster Campos, Wayne Cline and others in recent years.

It was undoubtedly Waltham's most prolific timepiece.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: Tom McIntyre)

The winding button at the six O clock position is where you would want it to be on an automobile clock. Why would you want the winding button at the 6 O clock position on a traveling clock?? Perhaps these traveling clocks were a modification of the automobile clocks.

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: Frank Menez)

Thank you so much everyone! Synchronizing two main spring to give power was interesting structure and keep this watch easy maintenance and thin instead of having another layer for a single larger main spring.
    I purchased this from local old man, but leather case wasn't attached and came in the japanese paulownia box. this watch may have interesting back ground.
    Thank you
    best regards,
    Rono

Banned

Default Re: Waltham Car Clock (RE: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post

It was undoubtedly Waltham's most prolific timepiece.
    That is an interesting statement. MY (reprinted) 1952 E&J Swigert Illustrated Manual of Americam Watch Movements states on page167, "WALTHAM MOVEMENTS NOT INDIVIDUALLY LISTED The movements pictured on this and the following page were not produced in quantity and the demand for material is very limited."

I suspect that they may have been trying to justify their decision not to stock material both by lack of demand and by implying these movements were somewhat rare. Perhaps that falls under the category of "The lady doth protest a bit too much, Methinks."