Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1807 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Waterbury Mirror Side information anyone??

Hello,

A friend of mine brought this beauty over today for me to set the beat. He just bought it last week and somehow during shipping the crutch got out of whack and a finial broke. I fixed it all up for him and it's a nice clock.

I'm assuming this is the Waterbury Oxford. Sound about right? Anyone know the approximate year this thing may have been made?
    -> posts merged by system <-
    It seems to be missing the bottom ornamentation as well. Any ideas on what one of the ones offered by Timesavers may be correct? Thanks again!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waterbury Oxford.jpg   Waterbury oxford 2.jpg  

Default Re: Waterbury Mirror Side information anyone?? (RE: gtodude2)

Looks like the Oxford shown in Ly's Waterbury book in a catalog illustration from 1881. Walnut, H 24 inches, 6 inch dial. The base on the one that you posted a photo of is different and appears to be missing some of the base. The case also seems to have been refinished. The glass in the door (tablet) would have had a design and not plain glass.

Here's the image of the Oxford we have been discussing. The tablet shown does not mean that is the only design that may have been used. There were probably other designs as well and would only be identified by seeing other examples of this clock.

Illustration from LY's Waterbury Clocks & Watches, Arlington Books,

best,

Richard T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WburyOxford003.jpg  
    Last edited by Richard T.; 11-19-2009 at 08:21 PM.