Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1753 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Vintage Waltham France Wrist Watch ID

Okay, I know this is not the most valuable watch on earth. Pretty much every other watch I own is worth more than this one, BUT, I just love this watch! My LeCoultre Pershing, while somewhat valuable, was purchased by me because I just love the look of the watch. I would not trade it for any other LeCoultre, truly. I feel the same way about this Waltham. It is simple yet elegant. It is put together in such a way that just makes me love the watch. Some watches I buy to keep for a while and then sell. Others, like this one, I buy for ME! This is a keeper for me.

It works, but, it is missing the crown. So, I need to get a crown for it. I am looking for a source for Waltham crowns, first of all. That said, I need to know a little bit about the watch before I can get a crown, such as, when was it made? What is the movement caliber? It is somewhat unusual, to me at least, in that it states on the dial and movement "Made in France, but on the exterior case back "Swiss Made." I suppose both could be true, that part of it was made in Switzerland and then other parts made in France? The main thing is I need a crown, perferably an era-specific Waltham crown, and for that I need to know the date of manufacture? Does anybody have anything to help me? A good source for the right crown? Your assistance is very much appreciated, as always.

Default Re: Vintage Waltham France Wrist Watch ID (RE: vote4tom)

Your watch is equipped with a French made movement by H. Savoie. I can't make out the caliber number, which is stamped underneath the balance wheel. It could be 238, which was a widely used Savoie caliber.

You will need to measure the case tube and the stem tap to get a properly fitting crown. Although some of the Swiss made Waltham's from the 1950s and 1960s did feature signed crowns, marked with a sort of italic W, many makers of mass market watches had abandoned signed crowns by this time.

I would estimate your watch was made in the early 1960s, give or take a few years either way.
    Cary Hurt

Default Re: Vintage Waltham France Wrist Watch ID (RE: Cary Hurt)

Thank you so much for the information. If I am understanding correctly, any crown that fits would be fine and no need to try and find a crown for this watch because such a crown likely does not exist, meaning, a signed crown specific to this watch? I had thought Waltham went out of business in 1957? They still made watches in the early 60's? In any event, as stated, I love the watch and just need to get a suitable crown so that I can start wearing it. Thanks again.

Default Re: Vintage Waltham France Wrist Watch ID (RE: vote4tom)

The Waltham Watch Co. of Waltham, Mass, did fail in 1957, but that wasn't the end of the company. Production was transferred to Switzerland, to Waltham International SA, a company that had been established in 1954 by the US parent company. They are still in business and continue to produce mechanical watches under the "Waltham" brand. Your watch may well have been produced in that 1954-57 window, but they did continue to produce mechanical watches using outsourced movements until the 1970s.

The American rights to the name Waltham are now owned by M. Z. Berger (along with the names of many other classic companies) and are used to market cheap watches for distribution in the US and Canada.

While your watch might have been equipped with a signed crown originally, crowns were intended to be replaced, and most competent watchmakers have a ready supply of generic crowns that would be a suitable replacement to put your watch back into service.
    Cary Hurt

Default Re: Vintage Waltham France Wrist Watch ID (RE: Cary Hurt)

I just love NAWCC! You can always fine someone who has just the right information. I continue to be amazed at the wealth of knowledge available here. Thanks so much, again!

Cool I found the original crown! (RE: vote4tom)

Sometimes you just never know! I was checking the condition of the box that my Waltham came in, an Omicron box, and stuck in a corner, almost unseen, was the missing original Waltham crown, with a "W" on it! I could not believe it. I screwed it on and was able to wind the watch immediately. It has been keeping perfect time ever since. I have had the box for a long time; many, many months and have looked in it many times before. I have even used it to secure other watches for photographing and in all those times handling it NEVER saw the crown. Now, I have the original crown and this watch that I love, for reasons I cannot fully explain, is complete! Now how cool is that! Thanks for your help, but this time fate was the ultimate source of help! Truly, I have no doubt that my decision to check the box condition was inspired beyond simple luck. "Some things are true even if you don't believe in them."