Month's Goal: $300, Received: $45.00 - (15%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1253 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Rolex Tudor "California" dial

Hello,
    Anyone have any info or opinions about these watches? Are they just Tudors with refinished dials or did they actually (I say actually because the ones I've seen are refurbs) say "Rolex Tudor" on the dial, which seem to have two colors.
    Thx.

Default Re: Rolex Tudor "California" dial (RE: RonC)

These watches have been around for several years now. These are all fantasy watches with either refinished dials, or more frequently, new dials. Usually they are made up from the parts of '50s and '60s era Tudor automatics, but lately, I've seen some that aren't even real Tudors. None of them should say Rolex on the dial. The only Rolex components in these watches should be the cases, and even those are different from Rolex cases of the era.
    Cary Hurt

Registered user.

Default Re: Rolex Tudor "California" dial (RE: Cary Hurt)

Thanks, Cary.

The genisis of this term "California dial" comes from the 1980s, when a California dial refinishing company would redo Rolex bubblebacks with the more popular "half arabic/half roman" dial. This dial, when original and mint, would bring thousands more dollars if, again, original.

So, when a Rolex Bubbleback had a poor dial, dealers would send it to this California dial company and change the poor condition Breguet or slash mark dial into the more desirable half/half dial.

So the term "California dial" simply meant a "redone dial, in the mannr of the half/half dial".

just another term for a redone dial.

Then, dealers started sending Tudors in to California, and since they said "Rolex" on the back they had the dial marked "rolex" And did the dial in the half half manner, selling them as a "California dialed Rolex tudor". A very misleading manner of sellling a low end Tudor with redone dial.

this is a real probem. the dial company no longer does this BTW and many of these aberrations are don in Canada and elsewhere.

Good luck!
    Jeff hess
    Jeffrey P. Hess

Registered user.

Jeff,
    You mentioned that these "California" dials were being done to low-end Tudors. Do you mean that these particular Tudors were low-end or that Tudors, in general, are low-end?

Thx.

Tudor was/is the 2nd tier Rolex brand and uses ebauche movements and not genuine Rolex built movements. Thus it is considered "Low End" in comparison to genuine Rolex built movements. If they were automobiles, Rolex would be a Jaguar and Tudor a Pontiac. Tudor used to take basic Felsa automatics and trick them up fairly well, making them unique, but later I believe that their ETA ebauche are pretty as built movements. Tudors are well cased often on par with genuine Rolex products, they sell for less, a lot less.

Default Re: Rolex Tudor "California" dial (RE: Dave Haynes)

I have one of these "Rolex-Tudor" California diled watches.
    It is a True Tudor, it has the ETA 2824 Movement, a Genuine Tudor.
    The dial has BOTH names on the dial, and it really should only have 1 name, and that is TUDOR.
    It decieves people who are looking for a nice older Rolex, Most people automatically think it`s a Rolex, and it, in reality is just a Tudor.
    Though, the Tudor is a really nice watch, the case is the ONLY Rolex componet.
    My watch is Used alot, and I do enjoy it, so if you find one that you wish to buy, just make sure it`s a real, Rolex, or Tudor.
    ALWAYS look at the movement! And you can`t go wrong.