Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ingraham Clocks

Default Re: Ingraham Clocks (RE: Steven Thornberry)

I will remove the dial and have a look for extra holes in the wood. Anything else I should look for?

Default Re: Ingraham Clocks (RE: ClocksCollector)

Quote Originally Posted by ClocksCollector View Post
    I will remove the dial and have a look for extra holes in the wood. Anything else I should look for?
    Nothing else strikes me at first glance. These were made between 1871 and 1883 (I have also seen 1871-73, but that may be a misprint), that's why I thought the dial a bit strange. I would have expected a painted dial or papered. The movement should have either no dates or patent dates of Oct 8, 1878, Nov. 11, 1879.

Hi Steve, I removed the dial and found no extra mounting holes. The grommets (back side) seem to be period, rather rough cut. The paint(?) on the entire front of the dial is soft gold in color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ingraham Mosaic dial front.jpg   Ingraham Mosaic dial back closeup.jpg  

It looks like a repainted original dial. Something like the dial in Steven's avatar photo would be more appropriate.
    Jeremy

Default Re: Ingraham Clocks (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

I have to agree with Jeremy. The dial surround looks correct; so the dial itself seems to be a repaint. I have never seen the Roman numeral "IV" on an Ingraham before. All in all, however, the clock is quite nice.

Thanks for your opinions men!!

Can anyone tell me is the finial on this correct? It looks to be a banjo clock eagle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ingraham 1.jpg  

Default Re: Ingraham Clocks (RE: clockhoarder)

I would say the eagle is not correct and would belong on a small banjo. The top finial might be more like one that is on these clocks. Do you have a name for your clock. I didn't find an exact match in Tran, though the Cute is tolerably like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Mantel tops.jpg  

LOL The "Cute"? WOW.....No there was no evidence of a tag on the back or bottom, but then it looks to have been re-painted many years ago. To me it looks like a wooden version of an Ansonia cast iron clock. I will have to keep an eye out for a suitable finial....Thanks much!!!!!!

Couldn't resist getting into the act.

The Grecians are wonderful clocks. They were made with different veneers and veneer combinations. In my experience, dials are either paint on or paper applied to a metal pan.

I have attached (hopefully) pictures of a couple from my collection, including a Welch version. Welch called it a "Roman", but they were also called "Grecian", too. I've included a picture of a miniature Ingraham Grecian. Note it's proportions in relation to the standard sized ones. Also, rosettes have fewer turnings, wider bevelled area at top of base.
    RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1506.JPG   IMG_1507.JPG   IMG_1523.JPG  

Default Re: Ingraham Clocks (RE: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Now that's impressive, RM. I'm happy with my one, but I could be a lot happier with your lot. Very nice. I admire the mini and the Welch Roman. I've heard tell of the Welch version but never seen one in the wild. This makes me want to find another!

Thanks for your kind comments!

RM

I'll add a couple additional Dorics that I have acquired, as well as some that are derivations of the Doric or Octagon Doric: the Crystal (30 hour); the Pony Extra (30 hour); and the Fawn (8-day).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ingraham Doric Boys.jpg   Ingraham Doric Shepherd.jpg   Crystal Pony Extra.jpg   Fawn.jpg  

Thanks for sharing pictures of your wonderful clocks. I especially like the little guys!!

In that regard, only have one to share. It's a miniature Venetian (the 13 inch variety) I guess called the Small Venetian in the original catalogs. There is even one smaller!

The other Ingraham of which a picture is attached I would suppose could be described as a Venetian #2 or the "3/4" size as per Grimshaw at 18 inches tall. Of note about this particular clock is that the highest part of the curved contour of the door moulding is on the outside edge. This is the first version of the patent door. On later versions, the highest part of the curved contour of the door moulding is on the inside edge. Also, clock bears the label of "Elias Ingraham & Co". This company was formed in 1857 and dissolved in late 1859. They did not make their own movements, instead casing those by Pomeroy (this clock has an unmarked 8 day, 24 hour count wheel Pomeroy) and Waterbury. By early 1860, he and his son Edward formed E. Ingraham & Co. For more info, see Tran's Ingraham book, pages 79-83 and Joyce Wahler's article in the Bulletin, # 378, 2/09, pages 4-11.

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1612.JPG   IMG_1605.JPG   IMG_1607.JPG   IMG_1611.JPG  
    Last edited by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1; 11-27-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Default Re: Ingraham Clocks (RE: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Just to clarify, the Crystal and Pony extra are not as small as they appear. They are as tall as the Dorics, but the angle of the photo makes them appear smaller.