Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 731 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded

To whom it may concern

I have a 1-day cuckoo clock that worked fine the first day and the weights came down normally. However, when I wanted to rewind the clock, the chains (movement and cuckoo) do not go down when pulling on the other side of the weights. The chains are not out of the gears and are not jammed, but are stack only when trying to pull up the weights at the end of the first day. It appears that something is preventing the reverse movement of the gears, because the clock stops when pulling the chains for rewind.

What can be done? Any help should be very appreciated.

Thanks,

George Duma

Email: dididuma@aol.com

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: George Duma)

Hi, George, welcome to the message board. The weights should come up when you pull on the chain opposite to the side that has the weight attached (the ones without a weight on them). If it doesn't come up, your clock needs servicing. It shouldn't take a lot of pulling to lift the weights up.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: harold bain)

Has it worked previously and no longer does or did you just acquire this and are testing for first time?
    Has it been serviced recently? Either chainwheels are defective or are stiff and in need of service. It is unlikely that BOTH chainwheels would fail at same time.

Default Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: Scottie-TX)

Assuming you are pulling the correct side of the chain (), you must have either a bad click or a sloppy gear. Some of the cuckoo main wheels are just held together with a pin or wire through a hole in the arbor. This is not a very tight fit in the best of circumstances, but if the wire (pin) is inserted poorly, the wheel will be so sloppy that you can't wind it. If the wire (pin) is missing, you have no chance without pulling the movement to make corrections.

Registered user. Cathy in Hawaii's Avatar

Default Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: shutterbug)

If it is a new clock, they are sometimes shipped with the chains wired together so they don't slip off the gear wheels while being transported. You may want to see if there is a retaining wire or clip of some sort.

Hmm, it would almost seem the weights were on the wrong end of the chain, but it wouldn't have worked for one day if that were so. Is it possible to change the weights from one end of the chain to the other? Maybe the end you are pulling and it isn't moving is the end which is supposed to have the weights on it?

Default Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: Cathy in Hawaii)

If this is an ordinary Regula-type movement, they don't have ratchets on their sprocket wheels; they have a coil spring with ends anchored in such a way that, turned one way, it tightens & grabs, turned the other way, it loosens & slips.

George says that his weights & chains travelled downward properly, but won't go back up. So the sprockets won't slip when the chains are pulled in that direction. They grab in both directions. If this is an accurate description, then it needs to go to a clocksmith to have those sprockets looked at. It can't be a broken coil spring...that would slip in both directions...
    Unless broken in such a way that it manages to jam the two halves together. But the odds of BOTH sides having broken spring jams seems small.

I dunno...

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: bangster)

If pulling on the proper end of the chain doesn't easily cause a "clicking" noise and raise the weight, the clock has been mis-handled at some point.

This is a common problem in households with young children or cuckoo clocks which are on display in a store. Someone yanks hard on the pine cone weight(s), forcing the ratchet back on itself, and bending the click springs backwards. This causes the tabs on the leading edge of the click springs to catch the ratchet wheel during winding instead of the spring being pushed out of the way.

The click springs can sometimes be reshaped without fracturing but it is a difficult process since there needs to be the correct amount of tension or they won't hold. Replacement gears, and/or click springs, are available.

This type of damage will also cause the chain links to spread. They will all need to be closed and reshaped...

Anyway, it is something that is best left to the local repairman rather than the customer trying to repair it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: LaBounty)

Quote Originally Posted by LaBounty View Post
    This is a common problem in households with young children or cuckoo clocks which are on display in a store.
    David: "Or cats that play with the chains" can be added to this list. I have seen it several times!

RobertG

Default Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: RobertG)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertG View Post
    David: "Or cats that play with the chains" can be added to this list. I have seen it several times!

RobertG
    Oh yes! And getting the chains caught in the vacuum cleaner can be added as well. Those power heads can pull the clock right off the wall.

Unhappy Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: bangster)

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    If this is an ordinary Regula-type movement, they don't have ratchets on their sprocket wheels; they have a coil spring with ends anchored in such a way that, turned one way, it tightens & grabs, turned the other way, it loosens & slips.

George says that his weights & chains travelled downward properly, but won't go back up. So the sprockets won't slip when the chains are pulled in that direction. They grab in both directions. If this is an accurate description, then it needs to go to a clocksmith to have those sprockets looked at. It can't be a broken coil spring...that would slip in both directions...
    Unless broken in such a way that it manages to jam the two halves together. But the odds of BOTH sides having broken spring jams seems small.

I dunno...

bangster
    Thanks for your replay!
    That is the right description: the sprockets appear to grab in both directions. However, the clock is new (just bought from Switzerland) and this is happening with both chains (i.e. movement and cuckoo) so the odds that both chain weel assembly to have broken springs is practically very small.
    I am still

Hi George-

Your clock should have come with a warranty and I would recommend sending it back. If you purchased a display model at a reduced price, there may not be a warranty and you will need to take it to a local repairman.

Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by George Duma View Post
    Thanks for your replay!
    That is the right description: the sprockets appear to grab in both directions. However, the clock is new (just bought from Switzerland) and this is happening with both chains (i.e. movement and cuckoo) so the odds that both chain weel assembly to have broken springs is practically very small.
    I am still

I have seen people who grab both the chains at once and yank it up, this may have happened as well.
    Ryan

Smile Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: George Duma)

Quote Originally Posted by George Duma View Post
    To whom it may concern

I have a 1-day cuckoo clock that worked fine the first day and the weights came down normally. However, when I wanted to rewind the clock, the chains (movement and cuckoo) do not go down when pulling on the other side of the weights. The chains are not out of the gears and are not jammed, but are stack only when trying to pull up the weights at the end of the first day. It appears that something is preventing the reverse movement of the gears, because the clock stops when pulling the chains for rewind.

What can be done? Any help should be very appreciated.

Thanks,

George Duma

Email: dididuma@aol.com
    Reply to all who responded to my message

Warm thanks to all who replied to my message! Indeed, somebody without my knowlege had pulled down the chains and bended the springs. based on your replays I was looking more attentive inside the chain wheel assembly and I saw what it was wrong. Fortunately I was able to fix it without disassembling the clock movement. Now it's working fine and can be rewinded. Your help is really much appreciated!

All the best to all!

George

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

That's great news, George. Glad we could help.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: cuckoo clock cannot be rewinded (RE: harold bain)

Glad you worked it out. Good luck in future.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.