Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1646 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Banned

Default Peerless collets

It seems, no matter how many collets I own, I never have the right size. I am considering biting the bullet and buying one of those complete sets offered on ebay with a "Buy It Now" price. I assume they are made in China or India, or some such, and am leery of the quality. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Default Re: Peerless collets (RE: Dave B)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    It seems, no matter how many collets I own, I never have the right size. I am considering biting the bullet and buying one of those complete sets offered on ebay with a "Buy It Now" price. I assume they are made in China or India, or some such, and am leery of the quality. Does anyone have any experience with these?
    Dave
    I have not purchased any of the Chinese WW collets offered on E-Bay but had a chance to inspect and try a set a few months ago.
    First, some are offered in a odd ball metric thread and require a special draw bar for use.
    The collets I tried had inconsistient body diameters and a few were tight in a WW spindle. However they did fit in a 8MM spindle.
    Accuracy was inconsistent at best, especially the smaller sizes. Runout using good quality gage pins ranged from about .0003" to almost .001". This was over a sample of about 30 collets. At least for myself personally this is not close enough for daily use.

If you must buy new collets, I would suggest Sherline or the current production Starrett (Not the tool company) WW collets. They are not hardened or ground nor will they take the abuse of hardened and ground collets. But of course they only cost a fraction of the $100.00 and up, for each new hardened and ground collet. On the other hand I have found them surprisingly accurate and serviceable when compared to my Levin and Boley collets if reasonable care is taken in their use. They are also readily available if a replacement is needed. I have had a full set of each now for about 10 years. The Sherlines are slightly more expensive ,but I have found them slightly more accurate and consistent.
    Quality accurate Used Collets are getting much harder to find these days, but are your best buy if you can find them at a reasonable price.

Jerry Kieffer

Default Re: Peerless collets (RE: Dave B)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Good Day Dave,

Watch out when buying them. The thread may be metric, if Chinese, as You may end up with collets needing a new draw tube with thread being M7X0.75. Although they have made the 40TPI thread available recently, so You will need to make sure what exactly You would be buying.

If I were You, I would choose Starrett, they both are made of soft steel - not hardened - just case hardened.

The price of US made collets is just a little bit higher then Chinese.

I have not bought any of the Chinese collets myself, but people whom I know did.

Being very strict about my collets I have bought full set of hardened Schaublin B8 collets from #1 to #80 as well as a set of half step collets from #1 to #10. Plus, I got a second full set of hardened 8 mm collets by Boley & Leinen which came with the lathe.

IMO if You can afford the set of hardened collets then go for them.

Of course, if You do not need them that often and cannot justify the expense then go for Starrett, You can always replace one that gets worn or sprung.

It is most important that all of the collets be from the same maker.

Cheers

Dushan
    >> Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. << - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

Banned

Default Re: Peerless collets (RE: Dushan Grujich)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe I am going to invest the few extra bucks to get a set of Starrett collets. I don't use them very often, but when a collet is what you need, it is the only thing that will do. SInce I don't do too much collet work, probably the non-hardened ones wil suit my purposes. I sure don't want to have to go making a new drawbar, only to find the runout is excessive!