Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1816 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model?

Has anyone heard about a 'Getty' model of an Illinois pocket watch?

Default Re: Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model? (RE: GOT)

Default Re: Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model? (RE: GOT)

Sure...

Some of the most beee U teee full movements are Getty Models....

Manufactured in both low grades and some of the highest grades Illinois Produced (grade 189, 181, 179, Sangamo)

The main feature is the Single visible ratchet wheel and the crescent shaped click on the ratchet wheel.

Default Re: Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model? (RE: terry hall)

The main 16 size Illinois model from 1896 to 1913 with over 400,000 produced. Made in 20 different grades and jewel counts ranging from 11 to 25.

Like Terry says just look for that single winding wheel and moon shaped click ...

Fred

Smile Re: Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model? (RE: Fred Hansen)

The open face "Getty model" is the Illinois model 5, while the hunting version is their model 4. And, there are lots of interesting private label watches. Here's a 19-Jewel, Model 5, Burlington Special.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Smile Re: Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model? (RE: Kent)

IMHO here is one of the better looking Getty model movements ever made. It is a TuTone, three finger bridge, 23 jewel, Grade 186, made as a private label for Wilson Bros. in Boston, MA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EBU 16145 Illinois King of the Road Grade 186 23 J OF Dia SMl.jpg   EBU 16145 Illinois King of the Road Grade 186 23 J OF Mvt SM.jpg  
    Ed Ueberall
    The Escapement Home Page - Vintage Watch Restoration

Default Re: Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model? (RE: rrwatch)

Here's another example of a private label getty model illinois. An Ariston.

Larry

Registered user.

Default Re: Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model? (RE: rrwatch)

I just know I'll get in trouble for what I'm going to say, and I know I'm going against the mainstream, but what the heck!

The three-finger bridge Getty models give me the impression that the designer (presumably a Mr. Getty) worked long and hard to come up with what is a very unconventional design, and he did a pretty good job. But when it came time to do the train bridge maybe it was late in the day and he was tired and anxious to get home, or maybe his creativity was ebbing, or whatever. At that point, it looks to me like he just took the easiest course, stuck in those three straight bars, said "Good enough!" and headed for home. The finger bridges just don't look (to me) like they fit in with the rest of the design.

BTW Larry S, that 's a great photo of a fine watch (in spite of those finger bridges)!

"De gustibus non est disputandum."

Larry "Troublemaker" Treiman
    Last edited by Larry Treiman; 10-01-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Add the BTW.

Default Re: Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model? (RE: Larry Treiman)

Maybe he was into geometric abstraction? That sounds better than him being tired and wanting to head for home.

Larry

Default Re: Illinois pocket watch 'Getty' model? (RE: Larry S)

You have to realize that the Getty model was an early bridge model. The Getty model was introduced about 1896 and was gone about 1911 or so.

The main problem with the Getty model was the winding wheel arbor really wore on the barrel bridge. Many of these have egg shaped holes in the bridge and need rebushing.

Don