Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1756 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Unhappy Howard Miller quartz wall clock

I have a Howard Miller quartz wall clock that was in our house for a couple of years and my mother wanted it so I moved it to her apartment. After a short while , the pendulum stopped swinging so I put a new movement in it, the pendulum did not swing with the new movement so we put another new movement in and it worked for 4 days at the shop. I took it to my mother's apartment and now I can't keep the pendulum swinging again, it slowly loses momentum and stops. VERY FRUSTRATING! Do I need to start the pendulum with a wider sweep? The clock is level, no obstructions. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Howard Miller quartz wall clock (RE: Gary Walker)

Often with quartz movements, the pendulum is effected by the case not fitting flush to the wall, ie: if the screw or nail at the top allows the top to tilt out from the wall. You could try adding a piece of cardboard or some filler to the bottom of the clock to even it out.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Gary,

I hope you havn't done all this work on the assumption that a good battery was actually a not so good battery.

The pendulum swing is independant of clock's timekeeping operation. So, one function will nearly always stop a few weeks before the other as the battery ages.

Good luck, Willie X

Default Re: Howard Miller quartz wall clock (RE: Willie X)

Unlike mechanical clocks, hanging vertical is not critical - doesn't matter. However as HAROLD writes - ARE very critical about front-to-back position. With clock in position on wall, push inward on pendulum - toward wall. Is there clearance? Now pull outward on pendulum - from wall. Clearance? ANY interference between "well" and pendulum will stop it.

Default Re: Howard Miller quartz wall clock (RE: Scottie-TX)

Always change the battery first. If there's a problem, you haven't lost anything

Default Re: Howard Miller quartz wall clock (RE: shutterbug)

Thank you. I've thought of these items but I need to recheck battery and front to back positioning.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

A good multimeter is a necessity when working on electric and quartz clocks. It's amazing the number of these that come into my shop with dead batteries (but I just put new batteries into it), or batteries installed backwards. Buying the "cheap" off brand batteries doesn't really save any money.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Howard Miller quartz wall clock (RE: harold bain)

Also, many of these have two batteries; One for time - one for pendulum. The time battery will last MUCH longer because there is less current draw. You may need only to replace one but may as well replace both.