Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3455 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Peerless lathe?

Default Peerless lathe?

Found this post in the archives:

> posted December 21, 2003 09:58
    >Yes, however, Peerless is not a lathe I would
    >use or want!

>Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
    >Founder and President Chapter 149, The Early >American Watch Club

......but with no explanation. Is there something wrong with Peerless lathes? If so,
    what?

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Peerless lathe? (RE: bangster)

Found this post in the archives:

> posted December 21, 2003 09:58
    >Yes, however, Peerless is not a lathe I would
    >use or want!

>Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
    >Founder and President Chapter 149, The Early >American Watch Club

......but with no explanation. Is there something wrong with Peerless lathes? If so,
    what?

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Gnomon

Peerless lathes were an american made economy priced model. They work just fine.

-Chuck

Hi Bangster:
    I'm sure we would all like to own a top of the line Levin 10mm Lathe with all the goodies,I know I would but if the economics dictate otherwise believe me the Peerless is a great lathe.My own opinion, its probably used by about 60% of the folks who do watch and clock work.I,ve had mine for approx four years and it does everything I need,i.e.,re-pivot,turn new arbors,polish pivots,etc.Im sure some veteran clocksmiths wouldn't give you a dollar for any watchmakers' lathe.They swear by their Sherlines and Shopsmiths.They probably feel a small lathe is inadequate for their needs.I don't know.
    Personally,I believe its all about what you can afford and your work load.For the average hobbiest or clockie a Peerless is a great lathe to own.As long as you have a good set of Gravers and an adequate supply of collets it will do everything you need.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

About 20 years ago, I had the good fortune to visit Marshall-Swartschild in Chicago to buy some parts and tools. An older man was kind enough to spend some time talking lathes with me. He provided me with alittle of the history of the company he had worked for for so long.

Peerless lathes were purchased by the military in WWII. The Peerless lathe can be seen in the Army watchmaker's manuel of 1945 along with various accessories.

The Peerless was made in Chicago for many years. It was one of several brands, including Marshall and Mosely which were eventually purchased by the Swartschild Company in the 1940's or 1950's (?). The company then became Marshall-Swartschild (sp?).

After some number of years, Marshall-Schwartzchild stopped making lathes and focused upon selling watch parts and supplies to the trade.

One of the employees in the lathe end of the company bought the tools to make cross slides and some other attachments, which he made in his garage shop on orders from the trade. These attachments were sold under the HR brand name. However, all of the lathe making equipment drawings and specs were destroyed after Marshall-Swartzchild was unable to find a buyer (and they did not want to give it away, I was told).

Peerless was an economy brand, no question about it. As far as we are now concerned, it all depends upon the condition of the lathe - otherwise said - how well was in cared for before being offered for sale?

If the centers line up nicely and the spindle runs true what more can you ask?

If at some point, you want to add some extra stuff for cutting gears and so forth, you may want to trade your Peerless in for another more accessorized brand. But for most of your turning needs a good Peerless will do fine.

Best regards,

Greg

Well said Greg,my own opinion,I think the Peerless is the red headed stepchild of watchmakers lathes.There's probably more Peerless lathes out there than any other brand and I'm sure the majority of them are still performing splendidly.I know I'm real happy with mine.Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a Levin Or Bergeon lathe with all the goodies But being that I don't have an extra few thousand dollars laying around I guess I'll have to keep relying on my Peerless.I guess its a poor mans Levin.
    By the way,thanks for the history lesson,very interesting and informative.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton