Month's Goal: $300, Received: $140.00 - (47%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1801 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default An help on a Majestic Watch PW, please

This movement is evidently branded by Majestic Watch, and as far as I know, Majestic was a brand of Wittnauer, registered on 1927, Wittnauer itself being registered in 1898. The movement remembers somehow Longines, and W. had certainly links with longines, but I do not think it is a longines, bridges heads are quite different, e.g. In any case it seems to me a good quality movement.
    I would really appreciate your help & comments

[IMG][/IMG]

Registered user.

Default Re: An help on a Majestic Watch PW, please (RE: graybear)

Mario, you are correct that Majestic Watch Co. was a Wittnauer brand. This watch was made for Wittnauer by the old Swiss firm of G. Thommen (also known as Revue-Thommen) of Waldenburg. They were established in 1853. The firm is still in business but they sold off the watch business and now make aircraft instruments and related things. They have a website if you are curious. I think a search will also turn up the name of the current maker of Revue Thommen watches (it might be the Grovana Watch Co., but it has been a while since I looked them up and I'm not certain). At one time G. Thommen was a major supplier of wristwatch and pocketwatch movements to A. Wittnauer and sold under the Wittnauer brand. Here in the U.S.A. Thommen is best known for their connection with Wittnauer, so much so that in one materials catalog, if you look up Thommen, it just says to see Wittnauer.

While I'm discussing Swiss watches with you, I would like to bring up a recent posting of yours on another board that I will not mention by name or number. You posted a photo of a nice watch on Sept. 21st and asked for "any help with the movement, please." I think I understand why you posted it there, but it is unfortunate because you got erroneous information. The watch is definitely not an Omega or a Regina by Omega as suggested there. It is a Cortebert. By the way, Cortebert was at one time a major supplier of railway watches to the Italian State Railway (is it Ferrovie dello Statto?). Most or all of the Cortebert railway watches used Italy were branded "Perseo" if I recall correctly.

Larry Treiman
    Last edited by Larry Treiman; 09-23-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: The usual @#$% typos.

Registered user.

Default Re: An help on a Majestic Watch PW, please (RE: Larry Treiman)

Thanks, Larry : I was aware of the relationship between W. and Thommen. In any case, W. was a true Swiss manufacturer, also, since I have found a number of patents starting from 1898. I do think that Revue-Thommen could be a very likely manufactuirer. To tell the truth, I should look on the concealed side of base plate, where most probably there are some hints, or at least should be, but I have not done it since the PW is very nice, in perfect order and working very well, and I have rather fat fingers ...

I thank you for your remarks on the other issue too. Also in this case I think that truth is below quadrant. I like Cortebert, was a good manufacturer, linked with many Swiss top brands, e.g. Rolex too. The story between Cortebert and FFSS (Ferrovie dello Stato) thru Perseo, anyway, has been shorter than generally admitted, since Perseo won a qualification tender in 1922, and was knocked out in 1944, but in any time wasn't a unique provider to FFSS, and so they won and lost tenders also in the 1922-44 period. Not being an exclusive provider, moreover, they qualified back soon after, in early 1950s and won some more tenders. It is not clear whether Cortebert incorporated Perseo or viceversa, as far as I know

Thanks again

Registered user.

Mario, Cortebert also furnished movements to Hamilton here in the U.S.A. Hamilton used Cortebert movements for the post-WWII "Traffic Special" models and also for some of their later 10-size watches. That was how I first developed an interest in Cortebert.

Larry

Registered user.

Default Re: An help on a Majestic Watch PW, please (RE: Larry Treiman)

Hi Larry.

Well 10 minutes of good will and here's the concealed side of the base plate. There are following inscriptions (picture is a bit out of focus, sorry)
    -WITTNAUER WATCH Co
    -MAJESTIC
    that's all

I guess that 711 is caliber number. Now on Ranfft you find Revue 30: here it's no doubt (pics 3&4 on Ranfft page), down to Reed's regulator. One more point : I'd say the finish on Majestic is even better than standard Revue, but this fits the picture of pieces to be sold in US, "dress for US" ...

[IMG]

Registered user.

Mario, I'm glad you confirmed to your satisfaction that this Majestic is a Thommen product. Actually, this was one time that I was very sure from the start of the ID. I am also very confident about your Cortebert.

Identifying the caliber is harder than identifying the maker. To do that with some accuracy for Swiss watches it is necessary to know the exact diameter of the pillar plate or the dial (if it is the same diameter as the plate under the dial) measured preferably in lignes or at least in millimeters to be converted to lignes, and often you also need the movement thickness! And sometimes even that is not enough. At the very least, I wish everyone would include the movement diameter (without the case). It gives a starting point and can narrow the search. This is not directed at you but at everyone who posts a movement photo for identification. I enjoy this identification process for fun and for the challenge; after 40 years in the hobby, I don't actually collect any more.

Larry Treiman

Arrow Re: An help on a Majestic Watch PW, please (RE: Larry Treiman)

Folks -going to move this to the Euro Forum where it will be more relevant.

Regards,
    Bryan