Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1777 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Pendulum Bob weight

Is there any way to determine, other than just a wild guess, how much weight a pendulum bob should have. I have an Urgos UW 030 movement with a lost pendulum. Someone put on a replacement that only weight 4 ounces. Another nearly identical movement, with original pendulum has a bob weight of 15 ounces. How do manufacturers determine how much weight the pendulum bob should weigh. A clock will run with a wide range of pendulum weight, too light, inacurate timekeeping, too heavy and clock will not run. BUT...where in that range is the ideal weight supposed to be.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pendulum Bob weight (RE: ArtFish)

Good question Artfish perhaps Scottie or someone will have a good answer.If it were me i might just try, the trial and error method.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

AF,

I think that you answered your own question. :-)

Somewhere between the extreams you mentioned.

Willie X

Default Re: Pendulum Bob weight (RE: Willie X)

I have used the method of installing a fish scale between the weight and rope or chain and let it stop at some point. It does not have to go all the way put a block to stop the weight at some point and the scale will read the weight that is need to operate the movement.

I would add just a litte more weight to the number that it reads for the weight, maybe it would also change with different bob's That I do not know.

I purchase a small fish scale from Walmart I think and used it.

Good luck.

Don

Save them for the next generation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-019F.JPG  

Default Re: Pendulum Bob weight (RE: Don DeMarcus #0135928)

I don't know how mfrs. decide bob weight. I suspect little thought is given other than esthetics. For an overpowered, spring driven movement such as yours, bob weight will not be critical and I doubt you'd even detect the difference in accuracy of a heavier one. For me, I'd choose a bob I like. It'll work just fine.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtFish View Post
    Is there any way to determine ...
    As you and others have guessed, there isn't.

Even if it was made with a particular weight, it may not be ideal - just think of a cuckoo clock in a draught.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Registered user.

Actually, the movement I have, Urgos UW-030 is a Cable driven 3 chime movement, and was trying to determine the weight of a pendulum bob, not the weights to drive the clock as a couple of replies mentioned, so a fish scale won't work, thought it is a great idea for determing the operational weights.

I started with the replacement pendulum that weighed just under 5 ounces. I started adding weight to the pendulum, trying to keep it centered on the centerline of the existing bob, making an attempt to keep the bob mass at the same point. I stopped adding weight at 32 ounces and the clock was still running, but beat was beginning to shorten. Using a Microset III / computer, and comparing beat etc, the strongest beat was between 12 and 24 ounces, and didn't seem to make much difference at any point in between. I ended up adding lead to the inside of the existing bob to bring the weight up to 20 ounces, and the clock was running well. I spent best part of 2 days changing/adjusting weights, sure would have been nice to have some type of guide or 'rule of thumb' to go by to shorten the procedure.

Art Fish

Yeah! Congrats. Pleasing to know I'm not alone in the world of optima - efficiency, etc. It's a lonely island out here. I've never made the accurate measurements you've made. I haven't the analyzing tools for that, but I do think there may be choices that will optimize performance in all clocks from pendulettes to pinwheels.
    Again, I think mfrs. of clocks' choices are based more on esthetics and profit than performance. I'm excluding makers of precision timepieces.