Goal: $300, Received: $135.00 (45%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2832 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Is this hairspring correctly placed?

Hello

Is the hairspring on the picture correctly placed? thanks

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/hairspring.jpg/

Registered user.

Default Re: Is this hairspring correctly placed? (By: Sir_Walton)

Can't tell for sure but it does not look like the hairspring is in the regulator correctly. Hope this helps.

Default Re: Is this hairspring correctly placed? (By: Bill B)

We cannot tell from just one picture. Does the hairspring pass through the slit in the regulator? When the watch runs, does the hairspring vibrate from one side of the slit to the other and back with the slightest movement? Does the hairspring sit flat? Is it is cone shaped? When the hairspring vibrates do the coils expand the same amount in all directions?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Walton View Post
    Hello

Is the hairspring on the picture correctly placed? thanks

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/hairspring.jpg/
    I enlarged your photo for a better view. I think you are missing a pin in you regulator. There should be one just to the right of the terminal coil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hairspring.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	40803  

Default Re: Is this hairspring correctly placed? (By: LarFure)

Hello, As Mr. Dahlberg suggests I have been inspecting it and it seems it doesn´t vibrate.
    On the other hand, what is the slot on the down part , on the middle,of the regulator piece for ?

If really a pin is missing what woul be the reparation: soldering a piece?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Walton View Post
    Hello, As Mr. Dahlberg suggests I have been inspecting it and it seems it doesn´t vibrate.
    On the other hand, what is the slot on the down part , on the middle,of the regulator piece for ?

If really a pin is missing what woul be the reparation: soldering a piece?

Thanks
    Above the hairspring is a rivet. To the right of that it looks like another brass rivet that is flush with the top. That is where the pin should be. Most likely a small brass taper pin will do the trick.

As Larfur pointed out, you are missing one of the curb pins, however this is a fairly simple repair. In the attached annotated photo, the orange line indicates where the other pin should be. These are usually brass, and in the past I have used a fine brass taper pin as a replacement. The white arrow points to where the head of your missing pin appears to be. You should be able to drive out the stub of the broken pin and fit a new one.

The slot in the bottom of the other block is for a screw driver. As you can see this block has a foot on it that extends under the hairspring coil. When the other pin is properly placed the outer coil is contained within this space. Using a screwdriver one can rotate that block 90 degrees and allow the hairspring to be lifted out of the space between block and curb pin.

[I see that Larry responded while I was doing my photoshopping.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curbs.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	40830  
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: Is this hairspring correctly placed? (By: Jerry Treiman)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Treiman View Post
    As Larfur pointed out, you are missing one of the curb pins, however this is a fairly simple repair. In the attached annotated photo, the orange line indicates where the other pin should be. These are usually brass, and in the past I have used a fine brass taper pin as a replacement. The white arrow points to where the head of your missing pin appears to be. You should be able to drive out the stub of the broken pin and fit a new one.

The slot in the bottom of the other block is for a screw driver. As you can see this block has a foot on it that extends under the hairspring coil. When the other pin is properly placed the outer coil is contained within this space. Using a screwdriver one can rotate that block 90 degrees and allow the hairspring to be lifted out of the space between block and curb pin.

[I see that Larry responded while I was doing my photoshopping.]
    Jerry,
    I like your explanation better.

Default Re: Is this hairspring correctly placed? (By: LarFure)

Hello

I have discovered that the regulator pointer is loose at its left half, towards the "Fast" side. That is; it moves along that side without any ressistance and when you observe the hairspring moving the whole piece of the regulator pointer and the two pins moves very little. Could this be the cause or an additional cause?

Thanks