Month's Goal: $300, Received: $45.00 - (15%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1805 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default windsor/gibraltar clock co disassembly

hello,

I have a wind up mantle clock. It says "Windsor" and then at the bottom of the face "GIBRALTAR CLOCK CO. INC., JERSEY CITY, N.J.". I am trying to take it apart to see why it won't wind. It acts like either the spring is broken or it has come unattached. I say this because you can turn the windup knob around and around and around and it just never catches.

To remove the back, I have take off all 4 screws on the rear but the dang windup knob (looks a little like a key but permanently attached) is preventing the rear cover from coming off. I just don't see how it should come off.

I can't unscrew it (if thats how it is supposed to come off) because it more or less freely turns in either direction.

Any ideas? I won't be heartbroken if I can't get in because this clock isn't really worth anything to me, but I'd like to try to fix it (myself) if possible.

Thanks
    -Dan

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: windsor/gibraltar clock co disassembly (RE: danmc)

Hi, Dan, welcome to the message board. The wind key is threaded, and normally comes off by turing it in the opposite direction of winding the clock. But, it sounds like your click, or click spring is shot. You may be able to grip the shaft under the key with something like a set of sidecutters to hold it while you turn it. If there is no access to do this, I don't think there is any other way to get it off, without destroying the clock.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: windsor/gibraltar clock co disassembly (RE: harold bain)

As HAROLD wrote - removing the winder will be the KEY to dismantling. Alas, if it doesn't wind - determining direction of wind is not possible, but often these wind COUNTER clockwise, meaning winder will be removed by turning CLOCKWISE. With a pair of pliers beneath winder, proceed as HAROLD suggested. It'll come off one direction or t'other.
    G'luck matey. You'll git it!

Registered user.

Hi Harold,

Thanks. I managed to slip some needle nose pliers inside and grab the shaft as tightly as possible and got the key to unscrew. My diagnosis, aside from probably needing cleaning an lubricating, is I have 3 issues. The first is that the little stub that comes off of the shaft and hooks into a hole in the main spring is worn some so the spring keeps slipping off. My next problem is that this shaft attaches to the click with essentially a compression fit and it isn't staying on and the last problem is related which is there is a hairline crack on the click.

I suspect that if I address the spring slipping off that the other can probably be worked around.

I have to say, it is a challenge keeping all of these gears from flying every which way and getting them lined up when trying to put this back together again. Guess that's why I'm experimenting/learning on a $10 yard sale sort of clock instead of a fancy antique.

Thanks again for the help on getting this thing apart.

-Dan

Yeah DAN, but th' KOOL part is this clock and many like them were very cheaply made and of poor quality. You're starting out right. After some time with this one, you'll appreciate more, higher quality clocks made to be repaired.

Default Re: windsor/gibraltar clock co disassembly (RE: Scottie-TX)

You sneak the gear pivots into their holes one at a time, holding light pressure against the plates to keep them there. Find the one that's 'binding' and put it in, then go to the next one. Try a rubber band to supply that pressure. Big clocks, small clocks, old clocks - they're all put together the same way

Registered user.

Default Re: windsor/gibraltar clock co disassembly (RE: shutterbug)

Hello,

My first attempt at clock repair is progressing nicely (I think). I got the spring to stay attached, got the press-fit gear to stay pressed (I hope) and got it all back together. Now what happens is I wind it up (yay!) and I can get it to run for 15 seconds or so and then it just quits. The pendulum if you will is a fly wheel sort of thing that spins. It clearly is running for a bit before it quits.

Now my question is what, if anything, do people use to lubricate gears with? Should I put a drop of light oil like for a sewing machine at each of the points where the various gears go into the metal plates that form the front and back of the works? Or does oil just gum up too badly over time? Like I said, this is an education clock for me.

Thanks much.
    -Dan

No. Get some clock oil. Timesavers has it. You want a synthetic oil made for clocks. Oil the pivot points only, and just a touch on one of the pallet pins.

Registered user.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who helped me out on this little project. I'm happy to say that the clock is now running! My very first clock repair ever I started it and took my family out for dinner and it was still running when we got back. My wife is maybe a little worried about me adding yet another hobby though.

Thanks again.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danmc View Post
    Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who helped me out on this little project. I'm happy to say that the clock is now running! My very first clock repair ever I started it and took my family out for dinner and it was still running when we got back. My wife is maybe a little worried about me adding yet another hobby though.

Thanks again.

-Dan
    It won't take her long to get used to the idea 20 years ought to do it.

Registered user.

thought I was done, but I have three final questions. Anyone know how long this clock is supposed to be able to run between windings? Also anyone have a rough ball park estimate of what it may be worth now that it works? Not working it was worth $10 (since that's what someone sold it to me for) so I'm thinking at least $12 by now! The finish both on the wood and the metal certainly shows signs of age. Finally, any guesses as to the age of the clock?

I added a pic of the clock in question.

Thanks
    -Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0779_small.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, dan. Good work getting it running. It is probably an eight day, but could be a 30 hour (daily wind). I can't find any information on Gibralter Clock Company, but Gibralter Manufacturing Co. made a selfstarting electric clock in 1940, according to Spittlers' and Bailey's American Clockmakers and Watchmakers. Yours is probably older, maybe 1930ish.
    We aren't allowed to give valuations, but you should be able to double your money on it
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"