Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1944 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default minute hand moves but hour hand swings free

I picked up a Sessions movement....runs great.....minute hand moves great.....BUT the hour hand does not move and the part that it fits onto spins freely.....can this be fixed without taking the movement apart?
    Hope I am making sense!

Default Re: minute hand moves but hour hand swings free (RE: clockhoarder)

I sounds like your may have a cracked pinion or one thats slipping. I think either way you will need to take it apart.
    Ryan

Default Re: minute hand moves but hour hand swings free (RE: itbme1987)

Not sure how your Sessions it set up. Probly others know, but whether you need to dismantle it will depend on whether the problem is outside the plates or between the plates.
    Howzabout a pixture of the movement in that area of problem?

Default Re: minute hand moves but hour hand swings free (RE: Scottie-TX)

Will post pic later tonight when I get hom from work

ch,

First you will have to discover exactly what is slipping.

Willie X

Default Re: minute hand moves but hour hand swings free (RE: Willie X)

My initial reaction is that it's an external issue between the minute arbor and the (possibly missing) hour wheel. Probably can be corrected without separating the plates. A pic' will tell.

Default Re: minute hand moves but hour hand swings free (RE: shutterbug)

If it turns out to be a cracked cannon pinion gear, I can tell you how NOT to fix it.

Default Re: minute hand moves but hour hand swings free (RE: gregoryjohn)

This may be far too simplistic but is the hour hand slipping because it does not grip the canon pinion? If so, simply tighten the hour hand collet slightly using a pliars so that you get a good friction fit.

Default Re: minute hand moves but hour hand swings free (RE: specop)

Yeah; I tink most considered that but he wrote,
    the part that it fits onto spins freely.....
    "The Part" spins - not, "the hand spins" on the part.

Default Re: minute hand moves but hour hand swings free (RE: Scottie-TX)

OK.....I took the movement out of the clock and was looking to see if anything was cracked or split on the Cannon Pinion as I understand it is called, (in my world.....the tube thingy that the hour hand fits onto) and compared it to another Sessions movement and noticed that there was a wee bit of a gap between the tube part and the hour gear. I notcied that the other movement had no gap...Well I took the movent that was acting up, and pushed the cannon pinion back a bit into the gear and it kinda clicked and the minute hand that was a bit tight to move when setting the time loosened up a bit. I put it on the stand and set it to running and the hands, minute and hour, are now working fine!

I bought the movement pre-cleaned and rebuilt, perhaps during shipping it was knocked about and loosened the parts

Hope I made sense! Thanks every one!

Quote Originally Posted by clockhoarder View Post
    OK.....I took the movement out of the clock and was looking to see if anything was cracked or split on the Cannon Pinion as I understand it is called, (in my world.....the tube thingy that the hour hand fits onto) and compared it to another Sessions movement and noticed that there was a wee bit of a gap between the tube part and the hour gear. I notcied that the other movement had no gap...Well I took the movent that was acting up, and pushed the cannon pinion back a bit into the gear and it kinda clicked and the minute hand that was a bit tight to move when setting the time loosened up a bit. I put it on the stand and set it to running and the hands, minute and hour, are now working fine!

I bought the movement pre-cleaned and rebuilt, perhaps during shipping it was knocked about and loosened the parts

Hope I made sense! Thanks every one!
    congrats ch! Well, you did not identify the cannon pinion properly, but solving the problem is the important thing! I don't think it will give you any more problems

Default Re: minute hand moves but hour hand swings free (RE: shutterbug)

I got it....Is it called an "Hour pipe"?

If not....What is it called?

Pipe, cannon - whatever; We knew of which you speak and after the fact - yeah I know, but I kinda thought you may have a lack of meshing altho I didn't know how Sessions motion is arranged.
    CONGRATS!

Quote Originally Posted by clockhoarder View Post
    I got it....Is it called an "Hour pipe"?

If not....What is it called?
    Yeah - hour pipe, hour cannon. The pinion sits behind that, between the plates. The little drive gear