Month's Goal: $300, Received: $10.00 - (3%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1835 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure?

Greetings,

Just looking for advice on obtaining a marine chronometer. I'm an ex-merchant marine that has always had a fascination with marine chronometers since I first had to use one on an old Lykes Brothers tramp vessel. Now, it's come to the point of my life to start collecting things that are near and dear to my profession and hold some value.

I'd like to start a collection of marine chronometers (as well as sextants/octants) but I'm having a little problem of finding these for ready sale. What is the best approach to procuring these items? I'm trying to violate the terms of service of this site, or get specific links, but I'm trying to get ideas as how to snuff these out. I'm not real fond of eBay, that just doesn't seem like the right place to look. I've seen some on auction sites where inevitably the listings are years old and are of no use. What would you suggest?

I'd like to start off with a Hamilton Model 21 chronometer, as this is the first one that I used onboard a commercial vessel. Maybe after that, move to an older English one (maker to be determined) and then eventually a quartz to round out the collection.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Default Re: Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure? (RE: mdjtlj)

Hi,mdjtlj,and wellcome to this message board!OK,here is my sugestion,and that´s for some reasons:First I´ve to feed wife,children and pets,so my budget is somewhat limited,Second I´m only interested in the technic,not in "antic value".Third:my chrono should run-whenever I want it to-without being afraid of wear and tear;repairing a chrono can be extremely expensive.And I wanted "best value for my little money".So here it is "with greetings from russia"I´m verry satisfied with it allthough others will have other reasons to chose theirs.
    Burkhard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Atmos et al 033.jpg   Atmos et al 034.jpg   Atmos et al 035.jpg   Atmos et al 036.jpg   Atmos et al 048.jpg  

Default Re: Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure? (RE: Burkhard Rasch)

Don't know where you are located but you can usually find some nice ones at Jones-Horan auctions in NH. Not sure when the next auction is but they have a web site if you google them.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure? (RE: Bob Baxter)

There were 8 in an auction at Skinner's in Marlborough MA a couple of weeks ago. They are always available on eBay, but some of the European ones may be a bit over restored.

The Russian chronometers are a good buy and very reliable. They are based on the Nardin design in most cases but some of the material is from the GUB.

You can sometimes find model 21's in the tub and shipping container rather than boxed. Those usually considerably less expensive (but a replacement box is not cheap).

Default Re: Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure? (RE: mdjtlj)

In addition to Jones Horan, check out some of the major international auction houses. For example, Christies usually hold one or two auctions per year entitled "Important Clocks and Marine Chronometers." Their auction last year had three marine chronometers, including a very nice one by Charles Frodsham (sold for 2,400 GBP, not including buyers premium). Bonhams also have regular yearly clock auctions that include marine chronometers.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure? (RE: mdjtlj)

If you want to browse some marine chronometers to see what sort you might like, you can find a reasonable selection in my collection displayed here. There are some pocket chronomers and other navigational instruments displayed also. Click on the "home" link on the chronometer index page to see the other items. (None of these items are for sale )
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 08-18-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: link was broken???

Default Re: Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure? (RE: Tom McIntyre)

Tom, that's an impressive collection of marine chronometers you have. I enjoyed reading about them. I don't know much about MCs, but I particularly like the Fletcher with its quirky innovation.

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure? (RE: Dexx)

Fletcher was the master who trained "Radical Tom Mercer" who founded the Mercer dynasty of chronometer makers. Konrad Knirim used my pictures of the Fletcher for the cover of his book on English Military Timepieces.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Tom, I have a John Fletcher No. 3297 that was restored by the Thomas Mercer company back in the early 1980's. It is a two-day runner with a conventional detent escapement having bimetallic compensating balance. It was acquired as a non-working movement (escape arbor pivot broken) in its original tub but with no gimbals or case. Mercer made all the missing parts and it looks and works like new today.

mdjtlj, as already pointed out there are quite a number of auction houses that handle marine chronometers, just need to mark their websites on your favorites list and keep them monitored.

Default Re: Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure? (RE: John Hubby)

OP here, thanks guys..... I'm still looking, have a couple in mind (non-Hamilton 21) that are up for auction soon, but waiting on my Mercer book to better investigate them before doing any kind of bidding.

The one I don't have to think about is the Hamilton Model 21, but have yet to find this elusive one for sale somewhere in a reasonable condition.

Once again, thanks for the fascinating discussion. Tom: your collection is quite impressive and fascinating. Might I ask, do you collect based upon the historical value of these pieces, the technological aspect or for the historical navigational facet of these pieces?

Michael

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Marine Chronometer - Where to Procure? (RE: mdjtlj)

I have not really had a "plan" for the chronometer collection. I have been trying to put together examples from a wide range of periods with some attention to middle temperature error. However chronometers with special balances are significantly more expensive than regular chronometers so I only have examples of the two simplest forms (Dent and Poole).

I give a talk on the history and development of marine chronometers to NAWCC and community groups. When I can I take some of the chronometers along to illustrate the talk. My talks were once all available on-line, but software updates to my web site rendered most of them invisible. The top of the site is http://awco.org.

A few years ago, I intended to rate all the chronometers in the collection but I found that I do not have sufficient attention span to do that successfully.

I checked my site and noticed that the Evolution of the Marine Chronometer talk is viewable.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 08-19-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: update

Pulled the trigger today, did end up buying a Hamilton 21 serial number 2E11269. It is in great condition. Is there any online reference material to the serial number ranges?

Any recommendation on a service provider for this piece should an overhaul be needed?

Once again, thanks for all of your help on how to locate these items.