Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1674 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Question ?Ladies Pocket Watch?

Hello,
    This is my first post & I'm very new at collecting. I have inherited 4 pocket watches & find them fascinating - hence my new hobby!
    This looks like a ladies' watch & has a gold filled (I think) case that says "Empire State Guaranteed 20 Years" and the number 2433917. The name on the face of the watch is "Longeau Watch." The movement has no name on it, except that it says "1ONE JEWEL, No Adjustment, Gilomen Swis." I've googled & googled, but get very little info. A company named Schlup & Co. seems linked to the Songeau name, according to the Watchipedia. The company was formed in 1917 that is now part of Swatch. The only other reference I find is on eBay where 2 wristwatches with that name are for sale, but no info on the company. I also keep getting the name Enicar, which is Racine backwards, & that's all I know about THAT!
    Can anyone add anything to help me figure out how to find more info on it? Thanks in advance for any help...I've attached 2 pics.
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00007.JPG   DSC00008.JPG  

Default Re: ?Ladies Pocket Watch? (RE: LibertyJoe)

Gilomen is listed in the book Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975 by Pritchard.

They also had the Heloisa brand and were in Longnau Switzerland. She writes they made cylinder watches, a lower end type. They were also known for Roskopf watches. These are also called pin lever or pin pallet watches. They were made to be inexpensive and give good service.

There is book on these now in print
    The Prolitarian Watch - a celebration of Georges Frederic Roskopf and his idea to produce a reliable and affordable watch for the great Masses in the 19th Century

Thebook is moderately priced but the title alone gives the idea. If you join the NAWCC, you can borrow it from the library.

The company is listed as founded in 1907 with several other listings to 1975. About that time Swatch bough up almost all the watch companies, so they may be part of them now.

Adjustments are for accurate time keeping in various positions and temperatures. The US had import duties based on whether a watch was adjusted so the mark on yours was to avoid these.

I can't tell from your picture whether you watch is a cylinder type.

The case is a hunter style.
    Last edited by Dr. Jon; 07-23-2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Typo's and to add to it

Default Re: ?Ladies Pocket Watch? (RE: Dr. Jon)

Thanks very much for the info! I guess that this watch is on the low end then, so it might be a good candidate for me to dismantle & clean, for learning purposes, right? I'd hate to have my first "operation" destroy a valuable timepiece......thanks again!

That might not be a good idea.

Surprisingly, low end watches are often much harder to work on and learn from than higher end ones.

If it is a cylinder or Roskopf movement, it may be tricky. You might do well to have a watchmaker look at it and tell you what you have.

Cylinder movements are repairable but there are few if any who have the skill today. I have one that has kicked my behind.

Roskopf movements were not designed to be repaired althouhg yours does not look as bad for this as many. They are designed to be assembled using special tools and jigs.

If you enjoy taking things apart and want to learn, by all means do so but the working on this will at most improve your motor skills.

If you want to learn to overhaul watches a 15 jewel lever movement is a better place to start. 15 Jewel watches do not cost that much more than 7 jewel movements and are usually a lot easier to service.

Thanks again - I'll take your advice.

Banned
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 miles east of Bordeaux)

Liberty,

I don't want to depress you any more, but Dr Jon is right about the "cylinder" and "Roskopf" aspects.

Not many watch repairers will touch cylinders, and because of this, a lot of carriage clocks now have "lever" escapements. It was cheaper (100%) to put in a new lever, than fix a cylinder. you can google "cylinder escapements" and one of the entries has an "animated illustration" to show you how they work.

One consolation, is the fact, as the good DR mentioned, that the watch is a "hunter" and they are a "social" asset to any owner. Many people only collect "hunters" full and half types.

Default Re: ?Ladies Pocket Watch? (RE: laprade)

Thanks for the additional info - I'm not depressed but I am grateful that you've both saved me from much frustration & might have saved me from quitting the game so soon after joining!! I'm just enjoying reading all I can about pocket watches in general right now. Any recommendations for good basic books for fledgling newbies??

Books for "newbies" is frequent thread and a lot has been written on this in the horological books section.

Here are a few of my suggestions which are accessible and not too expensive.

1) Marking Time by Michael Korda which may still be available in the discount section at Barnes and Noble, who published it. Korda is an Editor at a major publishing house wo also collects watches. This is a book about collecting watches.

2) [i] Pendant and Pocket Watches[i/] by Jeanenne Bell which covers a lot of areas and has a decent price guide

3) Complete Price Guide to Watches by Shugart and others, known to collectors as Shugart. It is hotly debated and widely criticized but it has a lot of information and is readily available. My view is that its a very good place to start unless you decide you want to immediately start buying expensive stuff.

4) Watches Clutton and Daniels. There are several editions of this but the the 1965 is good and can be had for very reasonable cost.

If you get the bug real bad, the best book in my view is It's About Time by P. M. Chamberlain. This is harder to get and expensive but well worth it.

There is a lot more in the Horological books section.

Thanks, good DR, for pointing me in the right direction - again!! I appreciate all the time you've given to me, the newest member of the club.

My pleasure. One of my main interests is high grade ladies watches (or high grade watches for high grade ladies).

There are some fabulous movements and even in gold cases they are surprisingly reasonable in cost, considering what they are.

If that is an interest, a good place to start is to look for Tiffany signed pendant watches. A book that has some examples is Tiffany Timepieces by Loring. This book is also recent and is not too hard to find as a remainder.

I'll look for it. I happen to have a high grade lady as a wife, & I'd love to find her a suitable timepiece.

Here is a link to an old thread on American Ladies watches. Most of these are very affordable. They are a bit rare but not many people seek them out.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...=lovely+ladies

Note the lavish use of gold on the jewel settings. It adds a lot of eye candy but there is not much gold there.

The Swiss and English also did high grade ladies watches but we never ran that thread.

Lovely, indeed - I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of those - it's a real beauty!! Thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyJoe View Post
    A company named Schlup & Co. seems linked to the Songeau name, according to the Watchipedia. The company was formed in 1917 that is now part of Swatch.
    Hi!

Schlup & Co had been founded 1917 in Lengnau, Switzerland. Lengnau in French is Longeau, that´s the only context.
    Schlup & Co had been an ebauches factory, in 1937 they founded the Rado Watch Co. to be able to sell complete watches. In the late 1940s up to 1957, Exacto as a second watch brand existed. The Rado Watch Co. was sold to the ASUAG in 1968(and became part of the GWC, an ASUAG holding) - the ASUAG was melted with the SSIH to ASUAG/SSIH, later SMH, later Swatch Group.
    Best Regards, Mike