Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1972 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adjusting lock on lever escapement

I am trying to get running a clock that was discussed and pictured in a previous thread:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...ght=pittsfield

It is a balance wheel movement with a dead-beat escapement using a solid, cast steel anchor.

After cleaning, the clock would run for a while and stop. I decided to try polishing the balance wheel arbor points and receiving "cups" as best I could without a lathe. The clock would still run and stop, and I noticed that for half the escape wheel travel the motion was good, but for the other half it slowed considerably and often stopped. A close-up look showed that when the motion decreased the escape wheel tooth was dropping on the impulse face of the exit pallet rather than the locking face. When the motion was good, the tooth dropped as it should on the locking face.

Can someone explain how to adjust the pallets to correct this? One side of the pallet arbor is held in an adjustable cock, so this could be moved, but otherwise adjusting the pallets would be difficult or impossible, as they are very thick steel. I think the pictures in the earlier post show most of this. There are also links to some youtube videos of the clock running shortly after the initial cleaning, when it seemed to be doing better.
    Jeremy

Default Re: Adjusting lock on lever escapement (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

Generally the fork can rotate on its collet in relation to the pallets. Put the balance wheel in beat (impulse pin centered in fork when no power is on the train). Then rotate the pallets so that an escape tooth hits the center of the impulse surface. You may have to adjust the depthing afterwards.

Joe

Default Re: Adjusting lock on lever escapement (RE: Joe D.)

Joe,

Should the tooth hit the impulse surface or the locking surface? Or do I have the terms confused? I thought the tooth should hit the locking surface and then slide onto the impulse surface and then off the pallet. I believe the fork, or in this case, the anchor, can rotate on the arbor, so I will try that.
    Jeremy

Deadbeat escapements should have teeth landing on LOCKing faces unless lever escapements are different and I think not.
    I would imagine amount of lock would somewhat affect oscillations - that, like 400 day clocks, the more lock - the further the oscillation in degrees.
    But I know ZILCH about lever escapements.

Default Re: Adjusting lock on lever escapement (RE: Scottie-TX)

Jeremy,

Is there a bent pivot on the escape wheel arbor, or is the arbor itself bent slightly ?? It sounds to me like the escape wheel is moving over slightly for half of the rotation effectively decreasing the depth of the lock, resulting in the pallet hitting the impulse face for half the rotation. Loose pivots for the escape wheel can also cause this problem, and possibly bushings may correct it. But, this usually would be more random, and not for half the rotation as you describe.

Bill

Default Re: Adjusting lock on lever escapement (RE: Bill V)

Yeah, thanks for being a better reader than I, BILL. I missed that "half 'n half" part. But yeah. Half in/half out = bent pivot, arbor, or wheel not concentric to arbor and pivots.

You'll need to rectify the eccentric escape wheel, but the teeth should always land on the locking face. So set the depthing so that the escape teeth land on the locking face as close to the impulse face as can safely be done (as shallow as possible).

Default Re: Adjusting lock on lever escapement (RE: Smudgy)

Jeremy,

The tooth should hit the locking face during operation, but on this type escapement both the balance wheel and the pallets have to be put in beat. Since the lever (fork) and the pallets can move in relation to each other, they can get out of beat.

The balance wheel is in beat when the balance staff, impusle pin, and pallet arbor are all in a straight line with NO power on the escapement. At the same time, an escape wheel tooth should be touching the center of the impulse surface, again with NO power to the escapement. If this condition is met, the same rotation of the balance wheel on either side of center will produce the same movement of the pallets in relation to the escapewheel on either side of center. This should address the problem you are seeing.

You may still need to adjust depthing with the movable cock.

Hope this helps.
    Joe

Default Re: Adjusting lock on lever escapement (RE: Joe D.)

Thanks, everyone. This gives me lots to go on, once I get back to the job--hopefully in the next day or two. I'll report back.
    Jeremy

Huh! Very interesting SMUDG: It is the way I prefer to set lock on my deadbeats, but why is it beneficial on a lever escapement?

Scottie, this lever is a deadbeat. See picture.

The fork and pallets seemed pretty firmly fixed together, so I tried changing the depthing by moving the adjustable cock holding one pivot of the anchor. That got all the escape wheel teeth falling on the locking pallet, and the action is much more even now. There may be some eccentricity in the escape wheel, but not enough to affect the action. Seems to be ticking away happily. Thanks, all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lever.jpg  
    Jeremy

Understand, "deadbeat". Jes' askin' SMUDG why he preferred shallow lock on his levers.
    "Yes", a clock that runs in and out of beat with varying locks and drops will run. They do run better when equal and not varying.

Putting a heavy lock on a lever loses power, giving less balance action.

Default Re: Adjusting lock on lever escapement (RE: Smudgy)

Huh! Velly intellesting. Intuitively - as I wrote earlier - quite the opposite my expectation. I did add however my TOTAL lack of knowledge about levers.
    See, I thought it may behave more like torsion escapements where max lock is desirable and INcreases oscillations.
    THANKS! I'll remember that.

Hi Jeremy,

I may be way off base here, but after looking at your previous posted pictures, I couldn't help but notice that one pin on the top lantern pinion gear, on the time side in your photo looked like it's slightly bent. It could be your problem if not previously corrected after you rebuilt the movement.

Best Regards,