Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1851 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default everclear, kramer's best, and new life

I wiped everclear onto an old beat up tambour case I acquired (I only bought it for the dial)

The case was very dry, finish bubbled/crackled. After several minutes I wiped some kramer's best on, then several hours after that I wiped new life orange oil (which also contains beeswax) onto the clock.

Any recommendations against using everclear to smooth out finish before I keep doing it?

Banned

Default Re: everclear, kramer's best, and new life (RE: chrsvor25)

Quote Originally Posted by chrsvor25 View Post
    I wiped everclear onto an old beat up tambour case I acquired (I only bought it for the dial)

The case was very dry, finish bubbled/crackled. After several minutes I wiped some kramer's best on, then several hours after that I wiped new life orange oil (which also contains beeswax) onto the clock.

Any recommendations against using everclear to smooth out finish before I keep doing it?
    <sigh> I know I might run the risk of being seen as a cranky old curmudgeon who is anti-progressive. (Actually I'm not, but what you are asking here seems to me to be a bit 'over the top'.)

Consider this: back in the bad old days, when such clocks were made, there were basic techniques for the care of wood finishes that involved simple, effective ways to clean and care for them.

I have no idea what "everclear" or "kramer's" or ""new life oil" is. This reminds me of patent medicines or snake oils - a magic elixir in a jar that supposedly cures all - but no one has any idea of what the hell it IS.

How did wood finishes survive for a century or more or be restored without this stuff?

If you bought the case to experiment with it, that's fine; but I suspect these elixirs you are buying will cost you more than you paid for it. They will drain your wallet and add nothing to your knowledge; so unfortunately, you probably will remain clueless about basic materials and methods.

Banned

Default Re: everclear, kramer's best, and new life (RE: Thyme)

Out of curiosity, I just Googled "everclear":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

(You'll need to cut & paste the above link, as it isn't picking up the final parenthesis mark.)

Here's a suggestion: Think about how lousy the wood case looks.

Drink the "Everclear".

In a short while it will look MUCH IMPROVED!
    Last edited by Thyme; 06-28-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Default Re: everclear, kramer's best, and new life (RE: Thyme)

Good one, Thyme. I have consumed the stuff straight in college...has quite a burn.

www.kramerize.com for info on kramer's best

http://www.newlifewoodconditioners.c...d-moisturizer/ for new life

And I bought the case mainly to remove the dial and put it on another clock that was very similar. However, the case was worse then I thought it would be so I decided it would be good practice to try new methods on (such as using Everclear alcohol to smooth the finish)