Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1886 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Minute hand does not turn

As you can see from the two pics this is a Waterbury Clock. Not sure who made this movement. Clock runs very well and keeps excellent time. Strike side does very well with no problems.

I tried to turn the minute hand and it doesn't budge. There is no way I can adjust the time if I need to in the future. So is there something wrong in the time train or were some movements made this way?

Like I stated the clock keeps excellent time!

thanks

tick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2795.jpg   100_2794.jpg  

Default Re: Minute hand does not turn (RE: ticktock)

No, it should move. If it works under normal power, the problem must be in the clutch mechanism. It's normally just a spring attached to the back side of the minute arbor. If you removed it, perhaps you got it turned around, put the washer on the wrong side or have the spring too tight.

Default Re: Minute hand does not turn (RE: shutterbug)

Thanks Shutterbug!
    I took the movement apart and the minute arbor would not budge. The clutch was frozen. So I tried some teflon spray and that didn't work at all. Cleaned the teflon off and then took a punch and a couple of light taps onto the cannon gear to loosen things up a bit. Now I have a freely turning arbor once again.

Who knows how it got this way. I know the movement has sat for decades but I don't think that would cause it to be this tight. What do you think?
    Perhaps the clock had some cannon gear work done on this arbor and it was too tight.

If you can zero in on the arbor on the front and back plate notice the "bushing" which protrude. I do not think it came from the factory this way do you? Not only is this on the front and back plates outside but also on the inside of the plates making it very difficult to place the pivots into the bushings.

Thanks again,

tick

Glad you got it going, but just curious about your comment that you were not sure who made this movement. It is stamped Waterbury on the front plate.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Minute hand does not turn (RE: Steven Thornberry)

It does look like just about every bushing has been replaced. Make sure there is enough end shake on the pivots, if the bushings aren't flush to the inside of the plates. Or better still, make them flush.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Minute hand does not turn (RE: Steven Thornberry)

Most of the bushings do not look original to me. The back plates were usually not supplied with oil sinks. Glad you found the problem and got the arbor loose again The bushings protruding into the movement are really suspect. A knowledgeable repairman wouldn't let that leave the shop (IMHO). Ooops, looks like I was typing at the same time as Harold

Thanks Harold and Shutterbug!
    I took off one of those bushings and there is no size in either Bergeon or KWM to replace it with AND to have the correct pivot size so what that means is all those bushings will have to be made on the lathe. We are speaking around 18!!

tick

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock View Post
    Thanks Harold and Shutterbug!
    I took off one of those bushings and there is no size in either Bergeon or KWM to replace it with AND to have the correct pivot size so what that means is all those bushings will have to be made on the lathe. We are speaking around 18!!

tick
    Yeah, I noticed that. They look like them danged self tapping screw in things! They're made so you can replace a bushing without separating the plates. You'll be doing the movement a favor by getting them out of there

ticktock, if you do a search for Waterbury bushings you will find this has come up before. I believe they came from the factory that way. I have a Watebury Corona with them, and have looked at quite a few other Waterbury movements that have them. In the prior posts some said they were brass or copper plated plates with brass inserts. See if they will stick to a magnet. Also, if needed, they said to make a smaller bushing inside the large one, and noted the hole was not always centered.

If the clock was running well, you may not have to replace the bushings.

Missy

Default Re: Minute hand does not turn (RE: Missy)

I agree with Missy..this has been discussed before. The plates look like steel to me with the typical brass plugs for the pivots. Even if the plates are not steel I think these type bushings are original.

See the Gilbert below which is a steel plate with the obvious brass plugs drilled for the pivots.

Best,

Richard T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gilbert 1917 Steel plate.jpg  

Default Re: Minute hand does not turn (RE: Richard T.)

Richard's pic shows factory bushings. That's not what I'm seeing on Tick's movement unless they've been rebushed with smaller bushings as Missy suggested. Sure could be the case, taking a second look. If that's the case, Tick, you could probably just push out the old bushing (if needed) and replace it without having to ream it out.

Banned

If it turns out you do have to ream it, use plenty of Kerosene, even though it does make the job messy. Those steel plates are awfully hard on reamers. I darned near ruined a good tool before I realized I was dealing with a steel plate in an Ingraham, some years ago.