Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1948 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Friedrich Mauthe dating and info

Hi All,

I have this nice Friedrich Mauthe clock but cannot date it and don't have much info on the clock (only for the producer I found). On the back of the movement there is:

42/ D.R.P FMS logo N 55006 16?75

D.R.P = Deutsche Reich Patent
    on the last number, in the mid it should be 6 or 7 or 8 (it is not clear at all)

I don't know what the numbers mean, so any additional information would be apreciated (http://www.gleuenberger.com/clocks/MautheClocks.htm - you can see some info here )

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Friedrich Mauthe movement back-2.jpg   Friedrich Mauthe movement back.jpg   Friedrich Mauthe bell.jpg   Friedrich Mauthe-4.jpg   Friedrich Mauthe-3.jpg  

Friedrich Mauthe movement.jpg   Friedrich Mauthe-2.jpg   Friedrich Mauthe-1.jpg  

Default Re: Friedrich Mauthe dating and info (RE: rejo)

No ideas how and where I can check the serial of this clock and find more info on it?

I know of no existing records of Mauthe serial numbers. I think your clock is Circa 1910-1920. That's just a guess based on case style and similar clocks that I have seen. Others may have more information.

Best,

richard t.

Default Re: Friedrich Mauthe dating and info (RE: Richard T.)

The style of the case is called "GrŁnderzeit", a period starting about 1875 and lasting untill about 1900.
    Free swingers of this type were built untill approx. late 1920s though, so dating isn't very easy.
    Going by the dial (is there a "T" in gear wheel there?), I would presume the
    clock is +/- 1900.
    There is a museum in Germany however, that may give you some information.

Here's the address:

Museum und Archiv Mauthe
    Neckarstr. 3
    78056 Villingen-Schwenningen

Jurgen

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rejo View Post
    Hi All,

I have this nice Friedrich Mauthe clock but cannot date it and don't have much info on the clock (only for the producer I found). On the back of the movement there is:

42/ D.R.P FMS logo N 55006 16?75

D.R.P = Deutsche Reich Patent. On the last number, in the mid it should be 6 or 7 or 8 (it is not clear at all)

I don't know what the numbers mean, so any additional information would be apreciated (http://www.gleuenberger.com/clocks/MautheClocks.htm - you can see some info here )

Rejo, to my knowledge there has not been any information published that would relate Mauthe serial numbers to a manufacturing date. Perhaps someone will undertake the research to develop this, the main thing is to be very methodical and record the main features of both the movements and cases.

The patent number DRP 55006 refers to a pendulum leader that prevents excessive overswing and thus protects the pallets and escape teeth from damage. This patent was granted 24 January 1891 with protection back to 18 March 1890. See the patent scan attached, your clock doesn't have this feature but having the patent stamp on all similar movements would enable them to use it as they wish.

The next number (16?75) is not a relevant DRP patent number, thus it may be the serial number of the clock. Without having a database for these, however, it isn't possible to determine a date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DRP 55006.jpg