Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1955 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Help me identify Gruen Geneve watch

Hello !

I am new to this forum. I have my grandfathers watch, which has written Gruen, Geneve on the frontside. It probably dates to 1950s or 1960s. I will try to supply the pictures of it, when I can. Could someone tell me more about this brand, links, etc. ?

Kind regards,
    Jan

Default Re: Help me identify Gruen Geneve watch (RE: yang)

Welcome Jan. There's quite a few good pages on the history of Gruen on the web but the model and movement info is a little tougher to find. If you google Ranfft movements you'll get the best archive I've seen for various makers. It's a wild guess without images of the piece.
    Rob

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help me identify Gruen Geneve watch (RE: R.G.B.)

R G B,

I have read and re-read your tag about ping, and it was only just now that I twigged as to what you meant! So I guess I am not the only one to whom ping happens! LOL

Doug S.

Default Re: Help me identify Gruen Geneve watch (RE: doug sinclair)

Yang,

Those watches marked Gruen Genčve on the dial were produced in what collectors call the "Gruen Industries" phase of Gruen's history. After the original USA based incarnation of the Gruen Watch Co. failed, and the Cincinnati, Ohio plant was closed, the company tried diversification, and left watch production to their Swiss subsidiaries, with only marketing and service offices left in the US and Canada. These watches generally date from the 1958 to 1969 period, although there were some being marketed up through the final failure of Gruen Industries in 1976. These watches tend to be of good quality, and showed some innovative designs, but are not typically highly sought by Gruen collectors.

The primary source for historical information about Gruen would be Paul Schleisser's website. The majority of Paul's work centers upon the earlier history of the company, but there is some information regarding the downfall of the company.

As R.G.B. mentions, Dr. Roland Ranftt has established an archive site with technical details of thousands of watch movement grades and calibers, including many Gruen calibers, as well as those manufactured by others.

Pictures might help with identification of a specific model, but in my experience, most of the Genčve watches are round dress watches, and have only subtle differences between models. Movements at this time were sourced from many makers in Switzerland, and later in France, and were cased in several facilities around the world.

Hope this helps,

Cary Hurt
    Cary Hurt

Default Re: Help me identify Gruen Geneve watch (RE: yang)

Thank you Cary for a detailed description.

Default Re: Help me identify Gruen Geneve watch (RE: doug sinclair)

In my defence I haven't actually lost a jewel yet but then I've only touched one so far. I'm just predicting the inevitable

Quote Originally Posted by doug sinclair View Post
    R G B,

I have read and re-read your tag about ping, and it was only just now that I twigged as to what you meant! So I guess I am not the only one to whom ping happens! LOL

Doug S.
    Rob