Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2023 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default strange hampden watch

I have an old Hampden watch (at least thats what it says on the face) but the serial number on the movement is much earlier than Hampden made. I have seen plenty of discussions around putting Hampden movements into a case with a NY Watch face but not the other way around.
    My serial is 24106 and the movement has "Chester Woolworth" "Springfield Mass" and "Adjusted" engraved on it.
    It is a key wound and key set watch in a coin silver case.
    Would anyone have any insight as to exactly what I have?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: strange hampden watch (RE: dougmc)

There was quite a bit of material left from New York Watch Co. when Hampden showed up. It is not uncommon to find Hampden dials on New York movements and that is what it seems you have.

Default Re: strange hampden watch (RE: Tom McIntyre)

Thanks, that's what I sort of figured.
    Given the serial number I would guess the movement about 1871 or so based upon this http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/newyorkserials.html. And the assembly around 1877.

Default Re: strange hampden watch (RE: dougmc)

If the movement is from the New York Watch Co. would the movement say Springfield Mass?

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: strange hampden watch (RE: dougmc)

Quote Originally Posted by dougmc View Post
    If the movement is from the New York Watch Co. would the movement say Springfield Mass?
    Dueber operated the Hampden Watch Co. in Springfield for a while before moving. There is an article in the Wiki area called Dueber-hampden watches, 1886. It tells the story of shopping for a place to put the combined watch and watch case factory.

A watch that says Hampden Springfield would almost certainly have been made after the purchase but before the move.

The serial numbers are meaningless for these watches with fires and recessions, there is almost no correlation between sn and date. Hampden finished a lot of leftover material and in some cases seems to have re-engraved it.

Default Re: strange hampden watch (RE: dougmc)

I bought a watch from an Ebay auction that was wearing a Hampden dial. It turned out to be a New York Watch co 18s 15j key wind, adjusted. Its signed "Woolworth" only, but the gent that serviced it assures me its the real deal. It's also an excellent timepiece now, needing only minor attention and the correct dial. Rather an enjoyable experience, but I'd rather not go thru it again. I doubt there are that many clean dials available.

Default Re: strange hampden watch (RE: Bratdaddy@mac.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Bratdaddy@mac.com View Post
    I bought a watch from an Ebay auction that was wearing a Hampden dial. It turned out to be a New York Watch co 18s 15j key wind, adjusted. Its signed "Woolworth" only, but the gent that serviced it assures me its the real deal. It's also an excellent timepiece now, needing only minor attention and the correct dial. Rather an enjoyable experience, but I'd rather not go thru it again. I doubt there are that many clean dials available.
    Serial number?