Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1771 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wurttemberg Mantle clock details please

Hi All,
    First of of let me say I'm a newby on here (just registered) but good site admin staff well done.

I have a Mantle clock and would like some help, this is what i know about it :

On the face of the clock underneath the 6 it says the word foreign,On the back of the brass plate of the clock it has an anchor with a crown on the top with the letters G B either side of it , underneath the anchor are the numbers 34_11 . At the bottom right hand side it also has the numbers 200.This is all the markings I can see but on the door it has a paper label sticker which says how to operate the "Whittington chime" and "Westminster Chime". The clock chimes on the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and hour , Written in the right hand side of the label it says "Made in Wurttemberg".

I would be very grateful for any information regarding its age, value and origin

Default Re: Wurttemberg Mantle clock details please (RE: tick-tick)

Tick-Tick: Welcome to the Message Board. There are many members here who are very knowledgeable about German clocks. Off the bat, however, your clock is by Gustav Becker and thus should have a good pedigree. I'm certain others can flesh out the details much better than I. Unfortunately we are not permitted to discuss values on the message board. I'm sure, however, that all would enjoy seeing pictures of your clock and movement. We are quite the horological voyeurs.

Default Re: Wurttemberg Mantle clock details please (RE: Steven Thornberry)

A photo of the clock, front view and especially a view of the back inside the clock case of the back of the movement will help.

The use of the location Wurttemberg would indicate that the clock was made in the Black Forest probably in the Junghans factory.

The traditional and better known Gustav Becker factories were in Silesia and in Bohemia.

It follows then that the Becker clocks made by Junghans are of the very late 1920's and 1930's in my opinion.

This is not to say your 3-train Becker clock is inferior but instead made by the successor to the GB enterprises.

Rule: we do not provide or assess monetary value of clocks and watches.
    Last edited by Eckmill; 04-17-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Punchuate
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: Wurttemberg Mantle clock details please (RE: Eckmill)

Do you have a photo of this clock's mechanism? It sounds like a later HAC pattern mechanism stamped with the GB logo.
    Justin A. Olson

Thanks for your help so far and i apologise for asking about value i do have pictures of the clock however i'm not sure how to go about putting them on here

I'm still looking for more info re my clock i can send pics by email to anyone that can help please

Blog Entries

Ticktick i will post your photos if you send them to me.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Wurttemberg Mantle clock details please (RE: Kevin W.)

Thanks for that what's your email address to send them to please

Blog Entries

Here are the pictures for Tick tick,s mantel clock he asked about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edith + Glof clubs+ Mantle clock 017.jpg   Edith + Glof clubs+ Mantle clock 019.jpg   Edith + Glof clubs+ Mantle clock 020.jpg   Edith + Glof clubs+ Mantle clock 021.jpg   Edith + Glof clubs+ Mantle clock 023.jpg  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Tick, the case style is 1930's. I would guess that the date is November 1934. Looks like a decent quality movement.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wurttemberg Mantle clock details please (RE: harold bain)

Looks identical to my clock which is marked 35 10 and mine is marked Junghans on the back plate.
    Nice looking clock and i bet it sounds quite nice too.

Nice clock. It looks similar to an HAC pattern mechanism.
    Justin A. Olson

Registered user.

Default Re: Wurttemberg Mantle clock details please (RE: chimeclockfan)

I serviced one of these for a friend recently - it is indeed a Junghans, as witness the unusual way of removing the barrels.
    Nice case!
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    Looks identical to my clock which is marked 35 10 and mine is marked Junghans on the back plate.
    Nice looking clock and i bet it sounds quite nice too.
    Mine has 34 - 11 on the back plate what does this indicate , also i can't see the name Junghans on it , instead it has an anchor with a crown on top and either side it has G B . On the Front of the clock it says the word Foriegn underneath the 6 ,,,, what does this refere to

So am i correct in saying that it is a Junghans Mantle clock dating back to 1930's and made in Wurttenberg Germany by (is Junghans the makers name )

oh it also has the numbers 200 in the lower right hand side ,,,,, would this be the number of clocks made .

oh and it does sound absalutely lovely , two different chimes to choose from , Westminster or Whittington chimes
    Thanks again Kevin for putting the pictures on here for me

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by tick-tick View Post
    Mine has 34 - 11 on the back plate what does this indicate , also i can't see the name Junghans on it , instead it has an anchor with a crown on top and either side it has G B .
    Gustav Becker, as other posters have mentioned.
    On the Front of the clock it says the word Foriegn underneath the 6 ,,,, what does this refere to
    Foreign - it is, if not intended for the German home market!
    So am i correct in saying that it is a Junghans Mantle clock dating back to 1930's and made in Wurttenberg Germany by (is Junghans the makers name )
    Yes; the Baden-Württemburg district was quite a centre for clock manufacture. Junghans were a very large manufacturer, sort of mid-range quality-wise, but had some very unusual and innovative ideas.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.