Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1828 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user.

Default Mainspring for Seiko 7006A auto

I am servicing a Seiko 7006A automatic watch and I want to replace the mainspring but I don't have any reference material for this movement to tell me the which mainspring I need. Jules Borel lists the barrel and spring together as a unit. Is that the only way to replace the spring or can I get the spring separately? Also, what kind of lubricant does Seiko recommend for the bridle and spring?

Thank you,
    Greg

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mainspring for Seiko 7006A auto (RE: ggordon)

Greg,

It will be cheaper for you to replace the barrel complete than to buy the correct lubricant. These springs generally come pre-lubricated, so that is not a problem. But the bridle is usually lubricated with a molybdenum (is it molybdenum bisulphide? I don't remember.) compound which is expensive. Save yourself a headache. Buy the complete unit. But, if you persist, it is a surprise to me that the material supplier can't tell you which is the correct spring, just by your giving them the caliber number.

Doug S.

Quote Originally Posted by ggordon View Post
    I am servicing a Seiko 7006A automatic watch and I want to replace the mainspring but I don't have any reference material for this movement to tell me the which mainspring I need. Jules Borel lists the barrel and spring together as a unit. Is that the only way to replace the spring or can I get the spring separately? Also, what kind of lubricant does Seiko recommend for the bridle and spring?

Thank you,
    Greg
    Jules Borel lists the barrel complete (Seiko part #201024) since that is the proper replacement part.

Registered user.

Default Re: Mainspring for Seiko 7006A auto (RE: jimH)

This is my first attempt at servicing an automatic and I was really wanting to try my hand at installing a mainspring and practicing my lubrication technique on the bridle. I was hoping to find just the mainspring. If all else fails, I will just re-use the old one since this is a practice movement that was given to me by a friend. I don't mind buying the correct lubricants especially if I am going to service more automatic watches in the future.

Thanks,
    Greg

Blog Entries

Greg,

The lubricant I use on automatic wind mainspring bridles is molybdenum disulphide. There might be other recommendations. My Seiko parts list doesn't show mainspring dimensions for this model. It lists the barrel complete, only. But measure the width and thickness (and approximate length) of the one in the watch, and order accordingly. If you replace the mainspring, it will likely come pre-lubed, but the bridle will NOT be lubed. Since you've done mechanical watches before, I guess your usual mainspring lube should do, for the spring itself, if you re-use the original spring.

Doug S.

Default Re: Mainspring for Seiko 7006A auto (RE: doug sinclair)

Hi Doug,

I have been using Lubriplate very lightly on the sides of the barrel and smeared on the bottom. I find it to be an acceptable grease for the winding, setting needs. Since my supply of mainsprings is this side of 40 years old, I do apply some regular watch oil on top of the installed spring which coats as the spring winds. I'm wondering what you think of this? I think that I might be over lubing the barrel, but it doesn't seem to slip much, which it should after about 7 revolutions of the barrel.Your recommended grease is a much drier (or less apt to migrate) and I'm wondering if I should go to something like that? I guess what I'm asking is what is your opinion on how much to lube a mainspring?
    Thanks
    Dave

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mainspring for Seiko 7006A auto (RE: Dave Haynes)

David,

The molybdenum disulphide (I am told), is especially formulated for high friction areas such as mainspring bridles. It's the only place I use it, but I have seen watches on which it has been applied to winding parts, but that is something I have not used it for. I have also seen it used as a general mainspring lubricant, but that is another application I've not used it for. And years ago, I saw a relatively new Rolex Explorer II in which the escapement had been lubricated with it, at the factory! THAT I don't recommend! In all the years I've used it, I've never had a bridle "unwind" , or slip prematurely on me. I use a Moebius mainspring grease on mainsprings. Don't remember the number.

As to older mainsprings, I suspect they might have had a coating of "transport" lubricant on them which is now stale. I would think cleaning them might be a good idea. Modern springs I understand, are shipped pre-lubricated (silicone?). For these I don't add any lubricant, other that the moly in the case of a bridle.

Doug

Default Re: Mainspring for Seiko 7006A auto (RE: doug sinclair)

Thanks Doug. As usual, very informative. The old mainsprings I am using are for the most part Whitealloys which I understand are pre lubricated. The blue springs I always clean and hand lube before use as much to stop any rusting that may start as anything. I have maybe a thousand mainsprings. The watchmakers stuff I bought was the usual Marshall supply plus the guy kept all of the old blue springs that the whitealloys replaced. Then there are many off brands that he bought when white alloys were just coming out. My genuine Waltham, Elgin and Hamiltons are a mix of blue and white. I've got to try the moybdelum disulphide.
    Again, thanks
    Dave

Default Re: Mainspring for Seiko 7006A auto (RE: Dave Haynes)

The original lubricant used in Seiko high beat automatics is their own grease "Seiko S4" which is different from Moebius greases. It's stiffer and contains Lithium and Molybdenum disulfide. Fabulous stuff if you can get it IMHO.