Month's Goal: $300, Received: $140.00 - (47%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1985 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Chelsea ships Bell chime problem.

I got this Chelsea today, model No. on the movement is 24270. This is my problem. At the bottom of the hour it strikes twice and at the top of the hour it only strikes once. It doesn't look like the rack drops entirely so it can count out correctly. Is there any adjustments I can make to this? Here are a few pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0942.jpg   100_0943.jpg   100_0944.jpg   100_0945.jpg  

Default Re: Chelsea ships Bell chime problem. (RE: Jeff C)

I am not understanding the question. Does the clock strike out each hour 1 to 12 or only once. Looking at the snail I asume it is a house strike.
    bill@fixoclox

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Chelsea ships Bell chime problem. (RE: fixoclox)

It has to be a ships bell. The rack only has 8 teeth.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Chelsea ships Bell chime problem. (RE: harold bain)

Jeff
    Try manually going through a 4 hr. cycle. If it is striking odd on the hour. There is a lifting pin on the gear behind the snail on the center shaft. When this pin is in the 12 o'clock position the clock should strike an odd strike. At that point the minute hand should be on the 6 and not the 12. Let me know how you fair

Thanks Harold I missed that one.

bill@fixoclox
    bill@fixoclox

Ok thanks yes it is a Ships Bell, 4,8,12 O'clock "watches". The problem I now can see is the rack hook is not lifting enough to release the rack both at the top and bottom of the hour. I assume I should look at the levers between the plates which may be out or sequence (per say). Are they friction fit on their arbors? they sure look like it.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C View Post
    Ok thanks yes it is a Ships Bell, 4,8,12 O'clock "watches". The problem I now can see is the rack hook is not lifting enough to release the rack both at the top and bottom of the hour. I assume I should look at the levers between the plates which may be out or sequence (per say). Are they friction fit on their arbors? they sure look like it.

Regards,

Jeff
    The problem I believe is the spring located on the top of the arm that will lock the hammer for an odd strike. The way it needs to be set is as follows. The lifting pin must be at 12 o'clock, at that point that spring mounted on the arm to the right and above the snail must be adusted.
    With all above factors met this spring must touch the lever above it. this is what enables a single strike. Two words of caution this spring is a bear to adjust. It can break easily and if adjusted too high it will stop the clock from running. When one breaks on me I make one. The ones I have made are much more forgiving when they are adjusted. Also make sure no levers are binding an have no oil on them. I would not bend any levers they are usually right on. Look for solder repairs if you don't see any the clock is probablly ok. Hope this helps.
    bill@fixoclox
    bill@fixoclox

Thank you Bill.

I checked the spring and it seems to function well with the odd strike sequence. I found out that this clock was worked on about two years ago and the repair person could not get the strike to function properly upon return to its then owner. I can only assume but the levers within the plates seemed to be incorrectly positioned. I adjusted the levers so the rack hook would lift more and it now seems to work correctly I think the many times working on those triple plate round New Haven movements with its similar arrangement helped allot with the levers on this Chelsea movement.

I'm now going to oil the movement. I think I'll use watch oil on the escapement though. This 1909 Chelsea Ships Bell movement seems to be well made and thick plates no doubt.

Regards,

Blog Entries

Jeff:

Sorry for the late reply, but I was going to suggest you look at the levers within the plates. Sometimes they do get misadjusted by people and you have to move them to get the proper amount of lift to clear the rack.

Were you able to get the parts you needed from Chelsea? Regards, Chris.

Default Re: Chelsea ships Bell chime problem. (RE: Chris)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Jeff:

Sorry for the late reply, but I was going to suggest you look at the levers within the plates. Sometimes they do get misadjusted by people and you have to move them to get the proper amount of lift to clear the rack.

Were you able to get the parts you needed from Chelsea? Regards, Chris.
    Hi Chris, I luckily did not need any parts for the movement just some minor adjustments to the levers.

Can you order parts from Chelsea? I would be interested in a balance/escapement unit for a spare just in case.

Regards,

Hope this is not related. My clock is running 1-2 minutes "slow" per day on the full wind (so far, 3days into the winding) with the regulator at full "fast". The balance wheel is running good and sounds in beat. Should I just leave it be? This movement is from 1909 and has what I believe one of those Waltham like escapements and I would hate to do any harm to it.

Thanks,

Regardless of the chime problem and losing 1-2 minutes per day, an interesting Chelsea. Looks like a Special Grande Dial with Club hands rather than the usual Serpentine hands that go with that dial. Nice base and ball clock which later became known as the Commodore. Is the dial 10" or 12" in diameter?

Default Re: Chelsea ships Bell chime problem. (RE: Douglas Romero)

Also, this clock should be able to keep time to within at least +- 1 minute per week, after issues are resolved.

Thanks Doug, the chimes have been corrected and sound wonderful. I have yet to run it a full week since I've been just watching it in 24hr increments so far.

Jeff, what diameter is the dial?

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Romero View Post
    Jeff, what diameter is the dial?
    Its 8 1/2".