Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2089 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Level Grandfather Clock

Is it imperative a Grandfather Cabinet be fully level front to back and side to side? I have seen many variations and all seem to work. Some advocate the case be leaning towards the wall.

thanks

tick

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: ticktock)

As well as being level, front to back and side to side, also what is highly important is that it is stable, and does not rock in any way, especially when winding or pulling the chains. What I mean by rocking, is by applying a rocking motion from the front left corner to right rear corner, or diagonally, and vice versa to the opposite side. It eliminates sympathetic vibration and the pendulum or weights knocking into each other, and this especially on narrow-waisted clocks.

Must you spend time getting it absolutely perfect? No. I go by "reasonably level", and that it is stable as described above. Leaning the case back can cause interference with the pendulum and chime rods. And remember this; no two walls will be perfectly at right angles with each other, or the floor. I have pushed the base of a grandfather till both rear corners touch the baseboard, and the top of the case has 'gap-osis' on one side or the other. So, to me, stability is the most important after leveling. My two bits worth....................doc
    Last edited by doc_fields; 03-13-2009 at 05:04 PM.
    http://precisionclockandwatch.com
    http://precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com

Exodus 31:6 "...and I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you."

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: doc_fields)

You can usually work around unlevel. You can't usually work around unstable. Personally, I'd prefer leaning to bolting to the wall (unless there's already a hole in the case). A slight lean against a spacer is workable too. As mentioned, you can't have interference with the pendulum or chains (cables) and grossly uneven swing (in relation to the case) is quite noticeable and undesirable. But the case must be stable - whatever it takes.
    So we're at four bits .... any others?

Banned

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: shutterbug)

Ninety percent of the older tall clock cases I have run across had a hole somwhere in the back that I could either screw to a block, which was mounted to the wall, or go directly through into the wall. I always recommend this on those narrow-waisted tall clocks with the really heavy weights. They are just too top heavy when fully wound.

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: Dave B)

Many tall case clocks (especially the newer ones) have leveling feet installed.
    If that is the case--leveling and proper tilt becomes a fairly easy set up!

Banned
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 miles east of Bordeaux)

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: burnz)

it isn't crucial if a longcase leans back, but the following can happen

the pendulum suspension block can be touching the outer end of the crutch loup/fork. this is a problem if the fork is not open ended.

the pendulum bob can catch the back of the cabinet

or can touch the chime rods if there any.

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: laprade)

Level shouldn't matter, long as it's in beat and it can be unlevel, in beat.

Registered user.

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: Scottie-TX)

Yesss! What will stop it, is a carpet, and the clock not screwed to the wall.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Banned
    Irish, but live in Laprade, 16390, France, (70 miles east of Bordeaux)

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: Mike Phelan)

in one of the posts I saw some mention of a two legged grandfather.

Very often people would remove the rear support to make room for a skirting board.

in Speke Hall, Merseyside, UK, (one of the UK's finest Tudour Black and white buildings), there is a brass faced clock standing at the foot of a back-stairs (for servants) the clock has a cut-out to allow it to stand half on the bottom step.

up till the 80s, the average longcase clock was worthless, unless it was a famous name. An engraver told me that the Lewises department (part of Selfridges group) store in Liverpool, had a workshop on his street, where they had two cabinet makers turning the 'trunks' into coctail cabinets. the movements went to the local scrap yard. the hoods were burnt in the workshop fire.

the first grandfather clock I had in my shop was given to me by another dealer. He didn't want it cluttering up his shop!

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: laprade)

Sounds very strange?

Registered user.

Default Re: Level Grandfather Clock (RE: clockdoc45)

Quote Originally Posted by clockdoc45 View Post
    Sounds very strange?
    Er, what does, Doc? The clocks with no feet on the back, pieces being removed, or the supposed prices?
    in one of the posts I saw some mention of a two legged grandfather.
    Not uncommon at all, but they were made like that, as if you think about it, they are not necessary.
    Very often people would remove the rear support to make room for a skirting board.
    I've never seen one like that, and have to wonder why they don't just put some sort of spacer the same thickness as the skirting, betwixt the wall and the case, like I have done on mine.
    in Speke Hall, Merseyside, UK, (one of the UK's finest Tudor Black and white buildings), there is a brass faced clock standing at the foot of a back-stairs (for servants) the clock has a cut-out to allow it to stand half on the bottom step.
    Never been there myself, but, ugh! Butchery!
    up till the 80s, the average longcase clock was worthless, unless it was a famous name.
    Depending whom you term as a famous name; I would say these are probably less then 1% of the LC clocks from 1680-1880 anyone here in UK would own, excepting collections in museums and the like.

As for them being worthless, not true at all! In 1980, brass dial LCs prices cost anything from £500 - £5000, if complete; painted dial ones about half that. I repaired many for a friend in the process of teaching him to make it a business, and bought his clocks at dealers and auctions, and know what sort of prices they fetched. In many cases, more than they do now.
    An engraver told me that the Lewises department (part of Selfridges group) store in Liverpool, had a workshop on his street, where they had two cabinet makers turning the 'trunks' into coctail cabinets. the movements went to the local scrap yard. the hoods were burnt in the workshop fire.
    He's either telling porkies or his memories are flawed! Lewis never had a clock workshop, and no-one would be silly enough to scrap a movement of value; if they did, the scrap dealer would make a fortune. Neither would any cabinet maker burn any old pieces of hardwood.

I'd be sitting outside the back of his shop, for one!

That said, if you replace "80s" with "20s" you would be right about most of this!
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.