Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3278 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keebler Clock Company (RE: new2clocks)

Hello all,

Does anyone know anything about the Keebler Clock Company of Philadelphia, PA?

I picked up an interesting novelty clock with Keebler Clock Company on the back of the movement case.

The best way to describe is it is a faux cuckoo clock in its appearance, with the quail on top and the types of patterns one would expect to see from a black forest cuckoo clock. However there is no cuckoo or cuckoo housing.

It has decorative chains and weights that are not meant to function. The pendulum and bob are also faux, as I believe the internal movement moves the pendulum, but I am not sure.

It has a keyhole at 12 o'clock.

The most interesting thing about the piece is it is only 5 inches tall!

There are 2 screw holes in the front at 7 and 1 o'clock and I believe these screws hold the movement and case in place on the back.

Any information on the Keebler Clock Company or this type of novelty clock would be much appreciated.

Regards.

Default Keebler Clock Company

Hello all,

Does anyone know anything about the Keebler Clock Company of Philadelphia, PA?

I picked up an interesting novelty clock with Keebler Clock Company on the back of the movement case.

The best way to describe is it is a faux cuckoo clock in its appearance, with the quail on top and the types of patterns one would expect to see from a black forest cuckoo clock. However there is no cuckoo or cuckoo housing.

It has decorative chains and weights that are not meant to function. The pendulum and bob are also faux, as I believe the internal movement moves the pendulum, but I am not sure.

It has a keyhole at 12 o'clock.

The most interesting thing about the piece is it is only 5 inches tall!

There are 2 screw holes in the front at 7 and 1 o'clock and I believe these screws hold the movement and case in place on the back.

Any information on the Keebler Clock Company or this type of novelty clock would be much appreciated.

Regards.

Hi New2,
    Here is a website that will give you a few things to look at:

http://luxclocks.com/

Andy
    So many clocks, so little time.
    The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168, Global Horology Chapter 192.

Andy,

Thank you very much! You hit a home run on the first swing!

Regards.

hansen

Hi new2clocks:

According to the authors Don and Alice Nicholson in thier book "Novelty and Animated Pendulette Clocks" August C. Keebler started the Keebler Clock Co. of Chicago he had the Syracuse Ornamental Co. to make wood grain cases and the Lux Clock Co. make the movements. The Keebler Co. put these clocks together and stamped the complete clock with the Keebler Co.Chicago or Philadelphia name. The Keebler Co. also purchased clocks from the Westclox Co. Keebler had a sales office in Philadelphia and used that city also.

new2clocks,
    The website that Andy gave you is not only a good one for these clocks but also one of the most excellent, professionaly done web sites for a clock collection-period. I have passed this site on many times.
    The collection actually comes under Lux/ Keebler and Lux would be the Father of all the take offs (so to speak).
    The history of Paul Lux and his company is quite interesting. Beside the Nicholson book, there is a newer one by Wayne and Ruth Herrmann with lots of info and pics. And then there is(harder to find) a small pamphlet type paper about these clocks by a man named Rene DesJardin. He was from Canada and resided in California until he lost his battle with cancer.
    Of course one of Ly's books have some of these clocks in it. Mr. Desjardin is probably the first to bring attention to these clocks. The whole Lux group are very collectable and some of the novelty pendulettes bring a higher selling price than you might imagine.
    We have collected them for some time now and I have given a program on Lux clocks several times. Any other info you need --send me a P.M. and I will most likely have an answer for you concerning this subject.
    By the way--the pendulum is an intricate part of the escapement on all the Lux/Keebler pendulettes. Any bob adjustment,packing,moving etc.--should be done with care. If it is broken at the movement end--the clock is non-functional until one or both pivots are replaced.

Hansen,

Thank you for that information. I was curious about where the Philadelphia connection came in.

Randy,

I think I will invest in the Hermann book.

Your statement about the pendulum makes sense. As I stated in the original post, I was not sure about the pendulum being functional or decorative. At the very least, the clock desperately needs a good cleaning from an appearance perspective. I can see that the bob has been moved upwards because the area on the pendulum below the bob has much less "gunk" on it. Also, the pendulum has been bent ever so slightly farther up towards the case. I am assuming this was an adjustment made by the previous owner.

Also, the minute hand can not pass over the hour hand. The hour hand appears to be bent upwards ever so slightly.

Thanks again to both of you for that great information.

Regards.

New2clocks,
    If you are interested in the Herrmann book , you can call them at this Ph. #913-432-6374. They are in Kansas and will autograph and mail your book. It is a very nice book.

Has anyone attempted to clean one of the Lux pendulettes with the molded Syroco wood?

The one I purchased had years of grunge on it. I took the movement out and cleaned the pendulum rod and bob with brass cleaner. They now look great. I would now like to clean the wood part of the clock. Any suggestions?

Regards.

New2,
    I think a toothbrush used gently would be alright (knowing the wood peaks and valleys). I would be careful about any cleaning substance that would be too harsh. I think a little water and dish detergent might be alright. If the clock is any other color than the walnut hue or has any other colors--I would be real careful as the colors (flowers etc.) were hand painted many years ago.

Thanks for your quick reply, Randy.

I was thinking lemon oil. Would you consider lemon oil too harsh?

Regards.

New2,
    Is this a bobbing bird cuckoo all one color (walnut)?
    If so then I think the lemon oil would be o.k.

No, there is no cuckoo, but a bird on top of the case. The bird and nest (at the bottom of the case) are red and there are green leaves around the side of the case.

Regards.

New2,
    Ahh--that is the one called the bird's nest and has no animation.
    As I said be careful around any of the painted areas (red and green).
    By the way--the numbers should be either silver or gold (came both ways) those will also have been hand painted.

Thanks again, Randy.

Regards.