Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1962 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default How to slow down a Pocket Watch?

Hi all. I have an 1892 18s Hampden 17J John C. Duber grade PW with the Teske regulator. Over the past 2 months I have timed it with my other pw's and after adjusting the regulator to the point of it being nudged up to the end of the slow mark post it stills runs way too fast. I'm talking at least 5 minutes fast in a 24 hour period.
    Is there another way to slow the movement down? Thicker oil on the jewels? Bending the hands backwards (just kidding on that move).
    All my other watches are usually either on the mark and I can leave the regulator in the middle, or if they're a tad slow I can move them up towards F, but this is the only time I've had a pocket watch that is just too fast.

Thx, Roland.

Default Re: How to slow down a Pocket Watch? (RE: Snowunder2feet)

Hi Roland,
    When was the last time the watch was serviced? Any number of things could be causing the timing issue, but if the watch has not been serviced that would be the place to start. Has it always run fast from the time you have owned it?
    Regards,
    Grant

Registered user.

Default Re: How to slow down a Pocket Watch? (RE: Grant Perry)

Hi Grant the watch was cleaned and oiled back in January by myself, and I didn't stretch the balance spring. So not sure why it's going too fast, compared to all the others that are either slow and you clean them or are right on time for a 100 yr old watch.
    Thx, Roland.

Hi Roland,
    I'm sure you will get many responses on this one, so you should be able to figure it out. Was it keeping time before you serviced it? Some of my suggestions below are basic, but I don't know your experience with repairs, so please excuse me if they are too basic for your level. You may have already checked these items.
    1-Could the balance hair spring been magnetized when you were servicing it?
    2-Does the hair spring look even all around? Does it expand and contract evenly all around when in motion?
    3-Check to see if the hair spring is rubbing on the bottom of the balance cock.
    4-Check for oil on the hair spring.
    5-Is the hairspring correct in the regulator guides?
    6-Did you replace the mainspring? If so, are you sure it was the correct strength?
    Hope this helps.
    Grant

Registered user.

Default Re: How to slow down a Pocket Watch? (RE: Grant Perry)

Hi Grant, I will check the hairspring better as per your sugestions. I'm by no means a great watch fixer, but with steady hands and my glasses I seem to get the job done. But I will check the guide to make sure the hairspring is not binding, or oil on it. It has always ran fast, but now it's gotten to the point of now more adjustment. The mainspring is still the original as far as I can tell (no tool marks on barrel, etc).
    Thx, Roland.

I have moved this to the Watch Repair Forum for additional respones.

Regards,
    Bryan

Default Re: How to slow down a Pocket Watch? (RE: Bryan Eyring)

If the jewels are oiled correctly sometimes you can just pull the balance and bridge, one-dip it, dry it and reoil the upper balance jewel. It should be demagnetized before oiling. Oil from the pallet can migrate down to the roller and make them go crazy. The roller jewel should not have any oil at all. It is very easy to touch the hairspring when oiling the balance jewel (if you do it that way) and that will cause the hairspring to stick together and cause a speed up. If the thing is really going fast, there is probably some condition reducing the full movement of the balance. A rough pivot or jewel can do this.
    Fun isn't it?

Registered user.

Default Re: How to slow down a Pocket Watch? (RE: Dave Haynes)

Hi Dave, I will do that procedure as I'm sure I've got too much oil on the Jewels. Has great motion and doesn't sound like its ticking any faster than my other 18s Hampdens, but then again my ears are not that accurate to the 10th of a second these days
    Thanks, Roland.

If the watch has good motion and in beat then check and see if the time keeping is the same in different postions if it is the same in postions put some timning washers on the balance wheel and enjoy the watch..

Default Re: How to slow down a Pocket Watch? (RE: s. smith)

Most anything that retards the motion of the balance, increases the rate. A bent pivot, broken jewel, hairspring touching the balance , balance cock or center wheel, dirty pivots will increase the rate. Also anything that effectively shortens the hairspring will increase the rate like oil or magnetism or coils touching each other. If the balance arms are bent inward, that would also increase the rate.

Before we worry about the rate, we check the relative rate in various positions. Check the rate dial up and dial down. If they do not agree within about 7 seconds, you have a problem. Then you let down the mainspring until you have a little more than a turn on the balance and compare the rate pendant up to dial up and down. Again they should agree within about 10 seconds.

If (and only if) you have ruled every problem out and it is off only a few minutes per day, then you screw out the mean time screws. If it does not have meantime screws, then we had timing washers under the balance screws.

Don

Registered user.

Default Re: How to slow down a Pocket Watch? (RE: Don Dahlberg)

Hi, I completed cleaned/dried the balance jewel and the lower pivot, checked the hairspring to see if the motion differed from slow to fast settings, and can't see anything rubbing, or bent. Put it back together and after 12 hours still gained 5 minutes, so will have to look into it further. What is the best way to demagnetize the hairspring?

Thx, Roland.

Blog Entries

Hi Roland i think you need a watch de magnetizer.They are not always expensive and i think the older ones work very well.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: How to slow down a Pocket Watch? (RE: Kevin W.)

Hi Kevin, thanks. So it's just called a watch de-magnitizer? Cool, will look that up.
    Roland.

PS
    I did another close-up look at the balance wheel and it has clearance all around and doesn't rub the underside of the cock either, so maybe it is something as simple as the hairspring got magnetized somehow.

Blog Entries

Roland doesn't say if the watch runs consistently fast in ALL positions, or if only in one position (i. e. face UP). Don Dahlberg has mentioned adding timing washers to slow the watch down. This should only be done AFTER the balance wheel has been put on the poising tool to be sure the balance wheel doesn't have a heavy side! Then, weight should only be added to the LIGHT side in order to poise the wheel. This may solve the problem.

Regarding use of a demagnetizer- If you buy an older one, pretty good chance it will come wihout instructions. Find out how to use it, or you may MAGNETIZE the watch, rather than de-magnetizing it!

If Roland doesn't have a poising tool, he can improvise by taking the hairspring and roller table OFF, and putting the balance wheel back into the watch. Once this has been done, the watch can be held on its EDGE, and the wheel repeatedly rotated a tiny bit and released. If it always returns to the same side DOWN, add weight 180 degrees away until the wheel will remain in any position to which he might choose to move it. Easier with a poising tool!

Doug

Registered user.

Default Re: How to slow down a Pocket Watch? (RE: doug sinclair)

Hi, yes this watch runs fast in all positions. It's all original and the balance looks fine. Can a balance over time get a heavy side?
    Where are the "mean" screws to back off? Are these the balance wheel screws?
    Thank you, Roland.