Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2114 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Longcase/grandfather clocks in movies or tv shows

Hello,

My name's Guido and I'm posting to help out my girlfriend with a school project.

Her personal assignment is to find 25 media products (movies/tv shows/commercials) that have a longcase clock (or grandfather/floor clock) in it.

And in particular: the longcase clock needs to be 'alone' (i.e. no people in the shot) and cannot be seen in a period media product (i.e. older movies where it would be rather common to see them) or have an actual significant role in the media product. I don't expect anyone to take these aspects into account, so just a tv show or movie with a longcase clock in it would be great!

I've searched the forum archives and found several other 'clocks in movies' threads that were very helpful. I managed to find quite a few hints and leads for her. But maybe you know a more recent media product with a longcase clock in it?

She's nailed 17 out of 25 at the moment. I've listed the ones we've found so far below. Maybe it'll be of some use to others in the future.

- Red Dragon
    - Diagnosis Murder: wrote she murdered
    - The Professionals: Close Quarters
    - The Simpsons: Natural Born Kissers
    - Innocence
    - Body of Lies
    - Poirot: Thickory Dickory Dock
    - Tom & Jerry: Quiet Please.
    - Charmed: Just Harried (s3)
    - Bicentennial man
    - Batman 1943: The Bat's Cave
    - Donnie Darko (trailer)
    - The Sarah Jane Adventures: s2 ep2
    - Funky Phantom: Don't Fool With A Phantom (opening scene)
    - Worst Week Of My life: s1 ep1 Monday
    - Sushi Pack: Sweet Tooth
    - The Cosby Show: First Day At School

She's still working on a few more leads from other threads, but all help is welcome.

If you have any ideas for her, that'd be great. We'll happily donate towards the monthly forum donation goal as well.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ClockNewbie; 02-28-2009 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Edited thread title

Default Re: Longcase/grandfather clocks in movies or tv shows (RE: ClockNewbie)

There is a Riley Whiting grandfather clock in "The Patriot", near the beginning. Kind of funny, since the clock dates to the 1820's and the movie supposedly happened in 1776...

Kevin

Default Re: Longcase/grandfather clocks in movies or tv shows (RE: haneyk)

There are a few antique clocks and there may well be a tall case in the movie "Holiday Inn" with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby. David "owen.or"

Default Re: Longcase/grandfather clocks in movies or tv shows (RE: ClockNewbie)

In "Meet Joe Black" with Brad Pitt
    there's an astro dialed jewelers regulator shown in one scene. Its in the scene by itself, but the scene is probably no more than one second in
    length and is easy to miss.
    The clock is owned by a friend of mine who rented it for the movie.
    Joeydeluxed

Quote Originally Posted by ClockNewbie View Post
    Hello,

My name's Guido and I'm posting to help out my girlfriend with a school project.

Her personal assignment is to find 25 media products (movies/tv shows/commercials) that have a longcase clock (or grandfather/floor clock) in it.

And in particular: the longcase clock needs to be 'alone' (i.e. no people in the shot) and cannot be seen in a period media product (i.e. older movies where it would be rather common to see them) or have an actual significant role in the media product. I don't expect anyone to take these aspects into account, so just a tv show or movie with a longcase clock in it would be great!

I've searched the forum archives and found several other 'clocks in movies' threads that were very helpful. I managed to find quite a few hints and leads for her. But maybe you know a more recent media product with a longcase clock in it?

She's nailed 17 out of 25 at the moment. I've listed the ones we've found so far below. Maybe it'll be of some use to others in the future.

- Red Dragon
    - Diagnosis Murder: wrote she murdered
    - The Professionals: Close Quarters
    - The Simpsons: Natural Born Kissers
    - Innocence
    - Body of Lies
    - Poirot: Thickory Dickory Dock
    - Tom & Jerry: Quiet Please.
    - Charmed: Just Harried (s3)
    - Bicentennial man
    - Batman 1943: The Bat's Cave
    - Donnie Darko (trailer)
    - The Sarah Jane Adventures: s2 ep2
    - Funky Phantom: Don't Fool With A Phantom (opening scene)
    - Worst Week Of My life: s1 ep1 Monday
    - Sushi Pack: Sweet Tooth
    - The Cosby Show: First Day At School

She's still working on a few more leads from other threads, but all help is welcome.

If you have any ideas for her, that'd be great. We'll happily donate towards the monthly forum donation goal as well.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Longcase/grandfather clocks in movies or tv shows (RE: Joeydeluxed)

Hi, Guido.

Here's one from a show called "December Bride" (from around the same era--and I think the same production company--as "I Love Lucy") and someone here (Ken Knox) on the message board shared this with us a few weeks ago.

This particular episode is actually called "The Grandfather Clock," and has multiple shots of it, so hopefully there will be a shot without people in the same frame.

Link to the previous thread:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=46549

Or direct link to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjQRcyTWUZg

(The grandfather clock isn't discussed until about 1:30 into the video). I was surprised to see a rather young Harry Morgan (who later starred in the "M.A.S.H." tv series) in the show!

Good luck to your gf & her project!
    John
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

Default Re: Longcase/grandfather clocks in movies or tv shows (RE: Spaceman Spiff)

Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn (SP?) filmed a movie in Concord, MA some years ago. In their dream house is a wall where two TCs stand side by side.

Default Re: Longcase/grandfather clocks in movies or tv shows (RE: oldbarn)

Thanks for the additional tips!
    She managed to make her target of 25 clocks and is working hard to finish the assignment.

We made a small donation to this wonderfully busy and above all helpful forum... about clocks...

All horologists will have a special place in my heart from now on.
    Rock on!