Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1841 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Swiss Astin?

Default Swiss Astin?

Hello...I am new to the forum and need some help with a nice older watch I picked up recently. It is a chronograph marked ASTIN, with the crossbar of the "T" going over the other letters. The gold dial has raised, shiny gold numbers in what I would think of as a military style, with the 60-second dial at the 9 o'clock position and the 30-minute dial at the 3 o'clock. At the outside of the dial above 12 o'clock it says TELEMETRE 1Km, above the 6 o'clock it says ANTI-MAGNETIC and outside the dial below the 6 o'clock it says SWISS MADE. The case bottom seems to be gold or heavy gold plate, and there are several small gouges that have been taken out, perhaps to test the metal.

Everything works as it should and it seems like a very nice watch, but my somewhat exhaustive attempts to get any further information on it by Googling have come to naught.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Swiss Astin? (RE: Mike Hudson)

Mike,

During the post-World War Two period, there were a great many chronographs imported into the US under just about as many trade names. Astin may have been a private label for a jewelry store, or it just may have been a name chosen for it's generic quality.

These watches are typically fitted with good quality movements by Landeron, Venus or Valjoux, and function just as you describe. If the movement is a particularly rare or desirable variation, then these watches might attract some collector interest, but in general, they are valued for the function and styling. The weak point has proven to be the cases, as the solid gold cases are generally notoriously thin, and the plated cases rarely have held up well. If yours has a good case, then count that as a bonus.

I personally consider these to be some of the bast values available in vintage wristwatches, considering the cost of "brand name" chronos, many of which use the same movements.

My two cents,

Cary
    Cary Hurt

Default Re: Swiss Astin? (RE: Cary Hurt)

Thank you Cary....Saw a jeweler today who said it was a Landeron 48 movement, 17 jewel. Am looking that up now.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hudson View Post
    Thank you Cary....Saw a jeweler today who said it was a Landeron 48 movement, 17 jewel. Am looking that up now.
    Mike Hudson

Is there a chance that it could be AUSTIN, since I have come across this name before?

No Watchman, and that's part of the problem. Every time I type "Astin" into the search engine I get results for "Austin" or even that new one that will open the doors of your James Bond "Aston" - Martin.

Have come across a couple of old listings on eBay U.K. that are not the same model but have the correct trade name though.

Registered user.

No Watchman, and that's part of the problem. Every time I type "Astin" into the search engine I get results for "Austin" or even that new one that will open the doors of your James Bond "Aston" - Martin.

Have come across a couple of old listings on eBay U.K. that are not the same model but have the correct trade name though.
    Mike Hudson

I am sorry to have lead you to our James Bond's Aston Martin.

It is hoped with the help of members, you will eventually find what you want.

Default Re: Swiss Astin? (RE: watchman)

I do appreciate that Watchman. I have a couple of old Wittnauers, but this is something new. I came across it in a pawn shop in Niagara Falls, Ontario this past weekend and it really is a great watch.

Registered user.

Hello...I am new to the forum and need some help with a nice older watch I picked up recently. It is a chronograph marked ASTIN, with the crossbar of the "T" going over the other letters. The gold dial has raised, shiny gold numbers in what I would think of as a military style, with the 60-second dial at the 9 o'clock position and the 30-minute dial at the 3 o'clock. At the outside of the dial above 12 o'clock it says TELEMETRE 1Km, above the 6 o'clock it says ANTI-MAGNETIC and outside the dial below the 6 o'clock it says SWISS MADE. The case bottom seems to be gold or heavy gold plate, and there are several small gouges that have been taken out, perhaps to test the metal.

Everything works as it should and it seems like a very nice watch, but my somewhat exhaustive attempts to get any further information on it by Googling have come to naught.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Hello, Mike I am also new to this forum and i find your tread. I found in interesting because I also recently bought a Astin watch and couldn't find any information about it. I'm curious if you have found some information about the brand and about your watch. Here is some info over mine Astin: It's also a chronograph marked ASTIN, with the crossbar of the "T" going over the other letters. The 60-second dial is at the 9 o'clock position and the 30-minute dial at the 3 o'clock. At the outside of the dial under the 6 o'clock it says Swiss, under the Astin logo it says ANTIMAGNETIQUE. The case seems to be gold plated. On the bottom is the following written: Stainless steel back, shock protected, antimagnetic, waterproof, swiss made, 625505.

Hope to hear from you,

Greetings Thomas

Default Re: Swiss Astin? (RE: Thomas)

hehe! so many of you googled astin and got other austin etc,... same like me.

i have a bumper astin too!!!
    and there's no manual winding,... like seiko.

perhaps i can post a pic if i can find the opportunity to snap