Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1880 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default E. Howard #10 Figure Eight

I think I may have answered some of my questions by reading an article about E. Howard banjo clocks and figure eight clocks in the NAWCC bulletin. Still, I would be interested in the opinions of others on this E. Howard #10 figure 8. First of all, many of these cases have matching numbers. This one does not. It has a pair of impressed diagonal lines in two spots. I'm not certain whether that serves the same purpose. The article I read indicated that at least some of the later banjos and fig.8s did not have these numbers. This clock has a weight which looks correct but has no number on it. Most likely, I think, would have been the number five or ten. The article indicated that many weights had numbers but did not give the impression that all did. Also, some of these clocks may have had a number "10" under the signature on the movement. This one does not. Should I be concerned on any level about any of these things? The clock appears original otherwise including dial, gilded pendulum stick, pendulum, weight board, and glasses. I'm not certain about the finish which could have been redone at some point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3314fig8.jpg   DSCN3311fig8.jpg   DSCN3317fig8.jpg   Howard 001.jpg   Howard 002.jpg  

Default Re: E. Howard #10 Figure Eight (RE: owen.or)

My #10 shows no marks or numbers anywhere on the easily visible part of the clock. I have not had it apart so I don't know if the weight is numbered. I have the original paper work somewhere but it is not handy.

I also have a Vienna #59 from the same time frame with the original paper work and the paper work identifies the serial number. I have not had this clock apart either but I assume the serial # is on the movement. There are no visible marks or numbers on the case or door. I guess there could be some inside. The #59 was purchased 25 Nov 1975 and it was completed 26 Oct 1976. Final Howard inspection was on 19 Nov 1976.

Larry

Default Re: E. Howard #10 Figure Eight (RE: Larry)

Larry, Thanks for your reply. The Howard reissues are wonderful clocks; however, a note of clarification. My clock is not a reissue. It appears likely to have been made late 19th century. David, "owen.or"

David,
    I don't have an early #10 but I do have an early #5 banjo and it shows no marks or numbers as well. While I've had this one apart, I don't remember if the weight is marked.
    Your #10 is a lovely piece and it looks correct but a lot ticks have occurred since it was born.

Larry

Default Re: E. Howard #10 Figure Eight (RE: Larry)

Hi David,

How does the rest of the clock look ?
    It's hard to tell from your pictures.

It sounds like you read the Bulletin article from April 1968.

To answer your question. There isn't anything that would bother me in the things you mentioned.
    I haven't seen enough of the figure 8's to know if the weight looks right. It doesn't look like a number 5 weigh as their more bell shaped.
    It does show a figure 8 in Foley's book on Banjo's, and it say's it has a number 5 on the weight.

Does your weight have a bigger casting hole on the side that's face down ?

The weight is the only thing I'd have some reservations on, but like I said, I haven't seen enought of the 10 size figure 8's to know if they used a weight like yours.

How does the bob and dial look ?
    Last edited by Robert Ling; 02-24-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Default Re: E. Howard #10 Figure Eight (RE: Robert Ling)

Hello David,

Many Howard & Davis and many E. Howard clock have numbers stamped on various parts of the wood cases; these are case makers marks so the parts are matched up after finishing. There was no complete case part interchangeability.

Howard made 5 sizes of banjo movements; #1 & # 6 should have same movements; #2 & # 7 should have same movement; # 3 & #8 should have same movement, etc. You will often see #1 - #5 stamped into the movement for the banjos; # 70 for model 70.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: E. Howard #10 Figure Eight (RE: Andy Dervan)

Robert L, The rest of the clock is very nice, just enough wear to show its age but not enough to detract substantially from issues of originality. The finish is gorgeous. The clock could have been refinished in the past. I would say probably not, but I can not be certain. The weight has been through the base but the damage is nearly invisible even from the side because of a very nice job of repair. The dial has a few small nicks and the signature at "& Co." is somewhat faded but readable. The weight is in the clock so at this point I honestly can't answer your question regarding the hole. The bob is 3" in diameter with the concentric circles typical of many Howard bobs. The original tie down is there as well. David "owen.or"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3320bob.jpg   DSCN3322dial.jpg  

Looks like a nice figure 8,
    The Dial looks very good and the bob looks untouched original...not easy to find. This sound like a very nice clock.

When I see a nice original dial and a Bob like this clock has I'm interested in the clock. If it has a nice label, even better.