Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2126 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Best watch for starter with $2,000.00?

What is the best vintage-watch to buy for a starter with US$2,000.00 to spend?

Default Re: Best watch for starter with $2,000.00? (RE: watchman)

Greetings, We are not allowed to discuss watch values. This is a very broad questions and the choices would depend on what you are interested in. My choices would include some very early Watham pocket watches and some of the high end railroad Hamiltons. Good luck and I hope you will find something you will be proud to own.

Default Re: Best watch for starter with $2,000.00? (RE: william l. weeks)

Since you posted this request in the wrist watch area I am going to assume that you are interested in a vintage wrist watch. I suggest that you do some Googleing and see what watches are going for to get some idea what your budget can afford. Frankly, you don't have to spend that much to get a good vintage WW. If you want American I'd look at Hamilton. If you want Swiss I'd look at Longines, Omega and Rolex. The last is pushing it as prices have gotten quite high on the Rolexes. The prices on Omegas has been rising and Longines has been unappreciated.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by william l. weeks View Post
    Greetings, We are not allowed to discuss watch values. This is a very broad questions and the choices would depend on what you are interested in. My choices would include some very early Watham pocket watches and some of the high end railroad Hamiltons. Good luck and I hope you will find something you will be proud to own.
    william 1

Thanks for the response.

I am now wearing a very old stainless steel Cyma Navystar, though regularly serviced.

I do not have more than $2,000.00 (if for less, it is even better) to spend and I would want to get a solid gold wrist-watch to wear and put my old faithful Cyma into semi-retirement, after all the years of good service it has given to me.

Registered user.

Default Re: Best watch for starter with $2,000.00? (RE: RON in PA)

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    Since you posted this request in the wrist watch area I am going to assume that you are interested in a vintage wrist watch. I suggest that you do some Googleing and see what watches are going for to get some idea what your budget can afford. Frankly, you don't have to spend that much to get a good vintage WW. If you want American I'd look at Hamilton. If you want Swiss I'd look at Longines, Omega and Rolex. The last is pushing it as prices have gotten quite high on the Rolexes. The prices on Omegas has been rising and Longines has been unappreciated.
    RON in PA

Thanks for the response.

I do not think I would want to buy an American wrist-watch, since getting spare-parts for it may not be that easy Down Under.

I think, Rolex is totally out of the question, since I intend buying one in solid gold to wear and put my faithful stainless steel Cyma Navystar into semi-retirement. As for Omega and Longines, which of the models you think will satisfy my budget of $2,000.00 (better still, if it is less).

An Omega or LeCoultre automatic would fill the bill. They are out there and represent good value with the ability to appreciate. My personal choice in your price range would be a JLC Memovox automatic is steel which is quite uncommon and thus a great appreciation candidate and it is a very attractive watch.

Default Re: Best watch for starter with $2,000.00? (RE: Dave Haynes)

I would not base what I collect on monetary value. That's a very limiting way to approach collecting.

You should collect the kind of watch that interests you and not what you can buy with your budget. Owning something based on a dollar value is the wrong way to appreciate your collection.

Money is secondary. You should first determine what interests you and then determine if you currently have the budget for one. IMO, some really collectible watches are very inexpensive and many expensive watches are simply horrible.

If you simply buy based on money it means you do not have a clue why the watches are interesting. So why would you collect them? Your money may be better spent on something else you enjoy. If you are just collecting watches in hopes they appreciate in value you may be very disappointed. The fact that you have to ask for advice on which watch to buy means you should not be buying them as investments.

Michael
    Last edited by Ansomnia; 02-21-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Default Re: Best watch for starter with $2,000.00? (RE: Ansomnia)

MR Haynes nailed it.

Soem early 18k gold Omegas can be had for way under 2 grand and some extraordinary 18k gold Omegas can be had for NEAR that mark.

CAnnot get to specific but since "public record" ok let me say that last year a ChronomŤtre Omega, 18k gold Made circa 1948 sold at Geneva Auction for under 2000 and a total of 2040 with buyers premium.

Registered user.

Default Re: Best watch for starter with $2,000.00? (RE: Dave Haynes)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Haynes View Post
    An Omega or LeCoultre automatic would fill the bill. They are out there and represent good value with the ability to appreciate. My personal choice in your price range would be a JLC Memovox automatic is steel which is quite uncommon and thus a great appreciation candidate and it is a very attractive watch.
    Dave Haynes

Thank you for the response.

An Omega appears to be the likely choice, since spares are aplenty in Australia but as of LeCoultre, chances are trying to get the parts may not be as easy. JLC Memovox in solid gold is out of my price range, while the stainless steel is just as attractive and I agree.

Registered user.

Default Re: Best watch for starter with $2,000.00? (RE: Ansomnia)

Quote Originally Posted by Ansomnia View Post
    I would not base what I collect on monetary value. That's a very limiting way to approach collecting.

You should collect the kind of watch that interests you and not what you can buy with your budget. Owning something based on a dollar value is the wrong way to appreciate your collection.

Money is secondary. You should first determine what interests you and then determine if you currently have the budget for one. IMO, some really collectible watches are very inexpensive and many expensive watches are simply horrible.

If you simply buy based on money it means you do not have a clue why the watches are interesting. So why would you collect them? Your money may be better spent on something else you enjoy. If you are just collecting watches in hopes they appreciate in value you may be very disappointed. The fact that you have to ask for advice on which watch to buy means you should not be buying them as investments.

Michael
    Ansomnia

Thanks for the response.

I am looking for a watch to wear and not for investment, since investment pieces are beyond my tiny-winy budget. All pretty watches attract me, irrespective of brand names. The only worrying part is getting spares, in the event it requires one.

Registered user.

Default Re: Best watch for starter with $2,000.00? (RE: Jeff Hess)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hess View Post
    MR Haynes nailed it.

Soem early 18k gold Omegas can be had for way under 2 grand and some extraordinary 18k gold Omegas can be had for NEAR that mark.

CAnnot get to specific but since "public record" ok let me say that last year a ChronomŤtre Omega, 18k gold Made circa 1948 sold at Geneva Auction for under 2000 and a total of 2040 with buyers premium.
    Jeff Hess

Thanks for your response.

Omega is a popular watch Down Under and getting spares is not much of a headache. Very likely, it is the only choice open to me.

Though I love to get something that is not as popular or prestigious as Omega, so that it is going to be much cheaper, the parts aspect worries me.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by william l. weeks View Post
    william l, weeks

Thanks for your response.

I am looking for a cheapie in solid gold to wear, since I would like to put into semi-retirement my old stainless steel Cyma Navystar which has faithfully served me, over the years.

While pocket watches are just beautiful and some of the better ones are not cheap, I cannot put one on my wrist, unfortunately.

Hi WM in Australia,
    As you know Au is very strong in diving. If you want a vintage watch that keeps time, looks great and will attract attention, then I would suggest that you at least investigate some of the great collectible dive watches. Jenny Carribean immediatly comes to mind. It is in your price range and I guarantee that lots of divers will comment on it over cocktails.
    It is vintage, and you will have to find it, but it will always be appreciating
    in value.
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    I am looking for a cheapie in solid gold to wear, since I would like to put into semi-retirement my old stainless steel Cyma Navystar which has faithfully served me, over the years.
    Watchman,

Taking you at your word, that you are looking for a "cheapie in solid gold", I'll throw in my two cents...

The advice you've gotten so far is sound. A good 18K Omega Constellation can be had for well within your established limit. Not what I consider a "cheapie", but a well respected, proven and darned nice watch that will serve you for many, many years. A 14K Connie, or one in one of the later styled cases will be available for even less. A 14K Seamaster would be a bit less still, and still carries most of the positive attributes, apart from the Constellation name.

In the upper end of your price range, a nice 18K IWC is a definite possiblity. Longines or LeCoultre are also well within your budget, and are equally good choices. I personally believe Longines to be underappreciated, although prices have been rising of late.

If you are happy with your Cyma, and respect is less important to you than function and style, I'd suggest that you look at Universal and Movado, especially some of their 1960s vintage pieces.

Lesser known names that might be appealing to you, and can be found within your price range (in some models) are Corum, Concord, Ebel, Piaget, Tudor and Cartier.

If shock-proofing and water resistance aren't important to you, it's hard to beat a Hamilton. You can have several of those within your price limits.

For what it's worth,

Cary
    Cary Hurt

Registered user.

Default Re: Best watch for starter with $2,000.00? (RE: Redundant)

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    Hi WM in Australia,
    As you know Au is very strong in diving. If you want a vintage watch that keeps time, looks great and will attract attention, then I would suggest that you at least investigate some of the great collectible dive watches. Jenny Carribean immediatly comes to mind. It is in your price range and I guarantee that lots of divers will comment on it over cocktails.
    It is vintage, and you will have to find it, but it will always be appreciating
    in value.
    Marty
    Redundant

Thanks for your information.

Though AU is strong in diving and maybe, even swimming, it is difficult for me to really prefer diving watches, since they are usually very chunky. My wrist is only just shy of seven inches.