Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Gallet watch co 21j size18 canadian dial rr watch

:oHELLO.Won a RAILROAD POCKET WATCH on ebay.Watch sold by T.EATON CO.L.T.D. CANADA.Found out this was a large dept store chain.The watch is LEVER SET 21J SIZE 18 5POSITION OPEN FACE SER.125080 has 24 hr canadian dial.Watch made by GALLET WATCH CO.still in business .the watch is SWISS.Watch accepted by CANADIAN RAILROADS IN 1884.What i don,t know is when watch was made also what is app value.The case is CASHIER A.W.C.GOLD FILLED.Ibeleive its a copy of WALTHAM 1892 MODEL.Any help?BUTCH

Smile Re: Gallet watch co 21j size18 canadian dial rr watch (By: butch45)

Quote Originally Posted by butch45 View Post
    :...
    Won ... on ebay. Watch accepted by CANADIAN RAILROADS IN 1884. Watch sold by T.EATON CO.L.T.D. CANADA. ... What i don,t know is when watch was made also what is app value.
    ...BUTCH
    Can you please tell us the source for your information that the watch was "... accepted by CANADIAN RAILROADS IN 1884.

Since it is a loose copy of a Waltham model 92, a good guess is that it was made sometime in the 1895-1915 era.

As it says near the upper center of this page, "No Appraisals." However, since you just got it off of ebay, you should have a fairly good idea of the current value.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Gallet watch co 21j size18 canadian dial rr watch (By: Kent)

The information came from the GALLET CO.web sight.It states that the pocket watches were approved by Canadian Railroad in 1884.BUTCH.

Default Re: Gallet watch co 21j size18 canadian dial rr watch (By: butch45)

GALLET WATCH CO has a web site.It is GALLET WATCH CO.When you go to it look on bottom of pagr,it says yesterday go to it and you will find GALLET HISTORIC TIME LINE.It shows 1466 to present.It says in 1895 canadian rr accepts it watches and it mentions T.EATON DEPARTMENT STORE which it sold pocket watches to the store into the 1940's.Look it up nice information.Thanks KEN for the start you are a real nice person and a lot of help.Butch

Exclamation Re: Gallet watch co 21j size18 canadian dial rr watch (By: butch45)

I was aware of the 1895 date on the Gallet timeline, it was your mention of the 1884 date that was confusing.

Well, it took a lot of digging, but I finally came up with something on an 18-Size, 21-Jewel, A5P Eaton Watch. Although it is probably a Gallet-Eaton movement, there is nothing that positively says so.

The phrases "Unless you are a railroad man who is bound to carry the Waltham railroad watch, ..." and "The cheapest railroad watch in the same case is ..." lead me to believe that even though it is adjusted to five positions, it is not intended for railroad time service. Ever since I acquired the 23-jewel, adjusted six position, version of the watch some thirteen years ago, I've been searching for something that shows that it was used in Canadian railroad time service. I've never found any mention (in railroad documents) of it being so used, nor is there any claim by Eaton in the catalog listing (linked to above) that the Eaton 21-jewel watch is accepted for use on Canadian railways (something which is clearly indicated for certain Waltham Grades). So, I'd still have to say that the jury is still out on this one, regardless of what Gallet & Co. claims.
    Last edited by Kent; 02-13-2009 at 11:00 PM.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Hi kent went to GALLET GENEVE WEB SITE and it says"In 1895 watch is chosen to keep CANADIAN RAILROAD running on time.Ultra High Quality Chronometer Grade Movements with SPECIAL PATENTED REGULATORS are created by TIMOTHY EATON for railway use as well as EATON'S most discerning patrons.This is from GALLET GENEVE WEB SITE.BUTCH

Yes Butch, I know what it says on the Gallet website timeline, I was the one who pointed out to you in the first place. But, they weren't the retailers in Canada and they're saying it now, some 97 years after the fact.

T. Eaton, the large mail-order firm who sold the watches to the public, did NOT say that 18-size, 21-jewel, Eaton watches in their catalog No. 100 (which may not have been those made by Gallet) were accepted on Canadian railways. This is something that they very prominently did say for the Waltham watches, as indicated above. Since these were private label watches, Gallet, the manufacturer, wasn't marketing them, only Eaton was doing so.

I'm as hard-core a railroad watch collector as ever you'll correspond with, and I've got these lever-set Gallet-Eaton watches in 23-jewel, adjusted to six positions in both 18-size and 16-size, and I've got them in 21-jewel, adjusted to five positions in both 18-size and 16-size. I'd love to be able to say with certainty that they accepted on the Canadian railways. But, I haven't seen any Canadian railway documents that state that they were accepted and the retailer (T. Eaton) doesn't make that claim.

I do know something. The 21-jewel watches fail to meet the following requirement insofar as they lack a grade name or number stamped on the movement:

"Canadian Pacific Railway Co.
    Circulars Pertaining to Train Operations
    December 15, 1922
    Rules Governing the Inspection, Repair, Cleaning, Comparison and Regulation of Standard Watches.

"2. The Standard adopted by the Company are grades of movements that have been approved and listed by the Chief Inspector of Time Service, which are equal to or above Nickel, 17 jewel, Breguet Hair Spring, Patent Micrometric Regulator, Double Roller, Lever Set, Meantime screws and some safety appliances and adjusted to Temperature, Isochronism and at least five positions (the name of the maker, the name of [or?] the number of the Grade and the number of positions it is adjusted to must be stamped on the movement). The variation must not exceed 30 seconds per week."
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Have you ever tried to contact CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILROAD about the watch.I will and let youknow the results Butch.

Quote Originally Posted by butch45 View Post
    Have you ever tried to contact CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILROAD about the watch.I will and let youknow the results Butch.
    That'd be great!
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Blog Entries

I realize this is a old thread, wonder if anyone ever did find out if these watches were used on Canadian rail ways.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gallet watch co 21j size18 canadian dial rr watch (By: Kevin W.)

Wasn't there an article recently in the bulletin about Canadian Railway watches?