Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1897 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: cuckoo/gong instead of gong/cuckoo (RE: Need2Know)

Wait !!! Hold On !!!

If you cycle through one time I think it will correct it. You'll have to keep the hammer lifted (use a light string) and with the weights on move the hand (minute) forward. This might do the trick, well it's worth a try

Default Re: cuckoo/gong instead of gong/cuckoo (RE: bkerr)

Quote Originally Posted by bkerr View Post
    Wait !!! Hold On !!!

If you cycle through one time I think it will correct it. You'll have to keep the hammer lifted (use a light string) and with the weights on move the hand (minute) forward. This might do the trick, well it's worth a try
    When you say cycle through, that means move the minute hand to the next halfhour spot? I actually did this last week, but I held up the two bellows levers. What ended up happening was it just went back to the exact same spot on the star wheel. But you can bet I'll try it holding up the hammer lever!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

That won't work. There is no "correction" on these movements. The plates need to be separated to realign the star wheel.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: cuckoo/gong instead of gong/cuckoo (RE: bkerr)

If the strike arbor retaining wire is underneath the stop pin - it's doing nothing or the pinwheel wouldn't be able to rotate the arbor. I'm wondering of the return spring tension is also reversed.
    eclecticbeat

Default Re: cuckoo/gong instead of gong/cuckoo (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    That won't work. There is no "correction" on these movements. The plates need to be separated to realign the star wheel.
    When this is done, is it simply the four nuts in the corners? Should the works be removed from the "clockbox" for easier access? Leave it in the upright or lay it down? Will things tend to fly apart or become misaligned when separated? To be safe I'll take pictures of everything b4 starting. Can't tonight though, choir practice! Plus I'm figuring power will go out with the high winds coming.....

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

You will need to remove it from the case. Unlike a spring drive movement, the parts won't fly out. You lift the bottom plate after loosening the nuts, just enough to free the pivot of the arbor that needs moving. Then it becomes trial and error to line it up right.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

What's this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuckoo mvt copy.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	28012
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Re: cuckoo/gong instead of gong/cuckoo (RE: bangster)

Hey Need...
    Before you start splitting the plates (and while I'm waiting for an answer to the above question), here's what I want you to do. All this is reversible.

1. Disconnect the lift wires from the bellows lift levers.
    2. Rotate the bellows 1 lever 1/2 turn clockwise, and lift it out of the movement.
    3. Do the same with bellows lever 2.
    4. Manually turn the train until the star wheel is about to touch the gong lever.
    5. Clip a clothespin onto the fan, so the train doesn't run any further.
    6. Put the other levers back in, in reverse order.
    7. Hook up the wires, remove the clothespin, run the train, and see what happens.

bangster

Default Re: cuckoo/gong instead of gong/cuckoo (RE: bangster)

Bangster, I'll follow the instructions and let you know. Didn't realize those levers could be rotated and removed. Here is a closer look for an answer to the "what's this". A return spring for the strike lever?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails innards2.jpg  

All, need2know now knows. I tried getting those bellows levers off but they appear to be a solid shaft that runs through to the front plate and screws in. Since I was reluctant to take the whole mechanism out of the case I loosened up the plates, indexed the star wheel about three teeth clockwise and got it back to original sound. Yeeha! I may have created another problem but to tired to keep going tonight. At one point the lever that lifts up and lets the count wheel go around didn't quite lift up all the way, by just a few thousandths I guess, and it slowed down the cookooing for a few seconds. I wonder if I may have slightly bent something while fumbling around in there. At any rate, thank you all for getting me thru. Never ever would have tried it without the support.

Quote Originally Posted by Need2Know View Post
    All, need2know now knows. I tried getting those bellows levers off but they appear to be a solid shaft that runs through to the front plate and screws in. Since I was reluctant to take the whole mechanism out of the case I loosened up the plates, indexed the star wheel about three teeth clockwise and got it back to original sound. Yeeha! I may have created another problem but to tired to keep going tonight. At one point the lever that lifts up and lets the count wheel go around didn't quite lift up all the way, by just a few thousandths I guess, and it slowed down the cookooing for a few seconds. I wonder if I may have slightly bent something while fumbling around in there. At any rate, thank you all for getting me thru. Never ever would have tried it without the support.
    I think that if the Cuckoo slows down at first.It maybe that you have the levers picking up in warning,and causing a loss of power.

H/C

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Been there,done that. Harold is absolutely correct, cycling it will not correct the problem. The resting position of the star wheel is determined by the locking mechanism further up the train. IMHO, These older cuckoo movements can be a bear to synchronize

T. J. Kloss

Default Re: cuckoo/gong instead of gong/cuckoo (RE: Tom Kloss)

Yeah, well, I thought my suggestion was worth a try.

Looky here, NEED; pulling the movement out of the case is no big deal. It just takes a few steps. Once it's out you can work on it properly. Here are the steps.

1. Remove the hands, weights, and pendulum.
    2. Remove the hooks and rings from the ends of the chains. (Twist the link open. Save the link. You'll twist it shut again when you put the hooks & rings back on.)
    3. Open the bird door and unhook the wire from the door.
    4. Open the back of the clock (you've done that already).
    5. Disconnect the bellows lift wires.
    6. Remove the bellows. Each should be held in place by one screw and one nail. Remove the screw and pry the bellows off the nail. Leave the nail there. It'll help you get the bellows located when you put it back in.
    6. Remove the four mounting screws.
    7. Lift the movement out of the case. Helps to tilt it so the bottom end comes out first...easier then to maneuver the bird's tail out.
    8. Drag out the chains from their holes.
    9. Voila!

Now it's out where you can actually work on it.

bangster