Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1997 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Cuckoo door closing question

I have two cuckoo clocks. One is a Schatz 8 day and one a Regula 8 day. My question concerns when the door is supposed to close. On the Regula the door opens and stays open for each cuckoo and the bird goes up and down. It closes at the end. On the Schatz the door opens for each cuckoo and closes. So the door keeps opening and closing. Does that sound right or do I have a lever out of position?

Thanks,Frank

Default Re: Cuckoo door closing question (RE: Frank Manning)

Hey Frank, once the door opens it should stay open unit the the end of the call. There are a couple of places to look but the first would be at the levers and on the perch trip. That's not the correct term but hopefilly you know what I mean.

Maybe the experts will chime in as well.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Frank, although I am not too familiar with Schatz, there should be a locking device that holds the bird out and the door open. Maybe Bang has had experience with this problem, as he has had several good threads on Schatz cuckoos.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Cuckoo door closing question (RE: harold bain)

Thanks for your replies. First I went back to the movement and noticed it was a Regula rather than a Schatz. I looked at the bird arm lock and did notice that the pin on the bird arm lever did not fully engage. Following it back I noticed an arm on the warning lever. This arm prevented the bird arm lock from going far enough. Bending that arm a little bit allowed it to lock.
    Thanks fellas.
    Frank

The Schatz 8 day will open and close the door each cuckoo call. It works off of a different hoop wheel.

Default Re: Cuckoo door closing question (RE: David B Pendley)

You know, I have been wondering about this for quite some time now. I have identicle American Cuckoos that do both.

They are both count wheel movements.

I gotta get arround to fixing these. One time I did a little studying of the situation.

As the Count wheel lever goes down to feel for the count wheel notch it squeezes the lever that pushes the bird out, just a bit more.

The problem is when the count lever lets back up allowing for the slack of the related lever to reach the point of where the spring pulls the bird back in to shut the door.

The adjustment is touchy and should favor keeping the door open and just enough slack to allow the spring to pull the door shut.

RJ

Default Re: Cuckoo door closing question (RE: RJSoftware)

When things are properly adjusted, the Schatz door remains open through the cuckoo sequence. Here's the deal:

On the Schatz there are two separate arms: the bird-carrying arm and the door-opening arm. The door arm has two levers or projections: one sticks straight up and has the wire that attaches to the door. The other one sticks out horizontally toward the between-plates center. The purpose of that one is to keep the door open.

On the rack hook arbor, between the plates, there's a strange looking fan shaped thing sticking up. It has a hole in it, and can flop back and forth. It's purpose is to catch the door-arm lever with the edge of its corner, to keep the lever from falling down. That edge-of-corner part is very important.

When the rack falls, and the rack hook is raised, and the strike train starts to run, the door arm lever goes up and pushes the fan-shaped dingus out of the way. The dingus then flops back underneath the lever, so's the lever can't fall. It's just the very tip of the corner that supports the lever. Then, at the end of the strike, when the rack hook falls, the fan dingus moves out of the way of the lever, allowing the lever to fall and the door to close.

Adjust it, by slightly bending the door lever, so that it catches on the corner of the fan dingus when the rack falls, and releases when the rack hook falls.

HTH.

bangster

ADDENDUM: I found a pic that may help. (2) is the door arm, (3) is the fan dingus.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schatz top.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	27694
    Last edited by bangster; 02-06-2009 at 06:58 AM.
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Re: Cuckoo door closing question (RE: bangster)

>> the fan-shaped dingus out of the way. The dingus then flops back underneath the lever, so's the lever can't fall

LOL..! (gotta admit now that's funny).

Wow, what a monstrosity. All that just to keep the door open...

RJ

Default Re: Cuckoo door closing question (RE: RJSoftware)

I have read allot of things in here and Dingus is funny.Almost like a thingamabob.Interesting nomenclature.