Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2074 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Transfer Images to glass

Hey everyone;

I think it's great that this new catagory has been added for reverse painting discussions.

I've been doing stencilling and tablet painting for a while now, so I think I can claim at least to know how to spell the words "reverse painitng".

Can anyone out there provide a good explanation on the process of "transfering an image"

I'm also curious about how old lithographs were originally applied to the glass.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to duplicate this old lithograph for the riley Whiting clock I am restoring. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can check out some of the painting work I've recently done at my web site if you wish.

Thanks

Default Re: Transfer Images to glass (RE: Paul H)

Paul,
    (1) You can scan the litho and restore the image with photoshop or a similar software program. Then you can print the scanned image and lay down a thin shellac base on the glass and stick the litho to the glass. Naturally, there are probably better modern day products that will do the same thing rather than experimenting with the shellac.
    (2) You can buy decal paper from Dick Blick Art supplies and laserprint your litho image to their decal paper and then just slide the decal onto your glass. Either way, the quality of your end product will depend on the quality of your litho print.
    (3) You can alway shop ebay for people that might have an exact repro of your litho or even a better original.

Larry

Default Re: Transfer Images to glass (RE: Larry)

One way to cheat and make a really easy copy would be to try water transfer decal paper. Just print the image, and basically "tattoo it" onto the glass like those temporary tattoos. As long as your glass is pristinely clean when you start the image should stay on permanently. You can then back-paint it in black or white.

Default Re: Transfer Images to glass (RE: Sooth)

Thanks Larry
    Thanks JC;

I was figuring that I would use laser waterslide decal to transfer the image. I was wondering is someone had a better or more traditional way to accomplish this.

One thing that I haven't decided on is this. If I use clear waterslde decal I am planning on "strengthening the colors with oil paint on the back side. Otherwise, when you open up the door, you will be able to see right thru.

Another option that I have been experimenting with is just printing out the picture on a transparency film and attaching it to the glass. But I haven't determined the best way to adhere the transparency to the glass...
    ..... any ideas?

I recently tried an inkjet print of a color lithograph onto tissue paper, as described in another thread. I then varnished it onto the reverse of the glass, using a traditional, slow-drying varnish. The result was an interesting imitation of stained glass. I have not tried painting the back to see what that does. I suspect the proper way to do this is to print the image in black and white onto the tissue paper and then backpaint. I'm not sure what the comparative effect would be between the tissue paper transfer and waterslide decal. The former works with an inkjet printer, whereas with the decal you have to use either a laser jet or seal an inkjet image with acrylic spray lacquer.
    Jeremy

Default Re: Transfer Images to glass (RE: Jeremy Woodoff)

I make a Xerox type copy of a Kellogg lithograph onto tissue paper.If you coat the glass where you want the transfer with varnish,lay the printed tissue in the varnish and then back coat the tissue with varnish,the tissue turns translucent when "wetted" by the varnish.When the varnish is dry,you can then back paint in your various colors.The nice thing is that the Xerox will have shading which will give you nice highlights and depth by just back painting.I believe that the Connecticut transfer Kellogg glasses were made very much as I described only the lithos.were printed on the tissue directly from the stone master,and the varnish may have been been shellac based.I can see tissue on old glasses,the paper is often yellowed as well.They found tissue lithographs with W.B. Fenn's materials,even busts cut out from the background paper.
    David

Default Re: Transfer Images to glass (RE: David 62)

David;

How do you get tissue paper to go through a copier? Do you tape it down to another piece of paper to act as a carrier?

Do you think putting it through a laser printer would work as well?

What about black ink verses color ink?

Thanks for the input

I like the sound of this technique and want to try it.

Paul,

I tack the tissue down to a piece of copy paper at the corners with a small dab of white glue.I imagine that a laser printer would work fine printed on tissue.
    David

Default Re: Transfer Images to glass (RE: David 62)

David;

So today I experimented and printed out my lithograph and I'm very pleased.

I used scotch tape to secure the leading and trailing edge of the tissue paper to a regular piege of ledger size paper. Then I ran this thru our color laser printer and it came out just great.

I plan on making two copies. Both to be applied to glass, one for experimentation purposes and the other for the real McCoy.

So, I've got another question. What type of varnish would you recommend to apply the tissue to the glass? I'm thinking of just using regular polyurethane varnish applied with a brush. This is what I've used for my bronze powder stencilling and have had decent luck with it.

I was thinking of using a spray varnish, but I think this will set up too fast.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul,

I have always used furniture varnish,but it is getting harder to find.I imagine that polyurethane would work,but it doesn't come to mind when I think of any restoration of antiques.So long as a clear varnish wets the paper and turns it translucent,it will work fine.
    David