Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1308 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Smile M J Tobias Pocket Watch Identification?

My Father was an avid watch/clock collector from pocket watches to Grandfather Clocks, Banjo clocks, and everything in between. He died in 2003 before I could ask him about a watch he had bought a very long time ago.

Here is the info I have on my own observation and 2 cards which came with it, as well as photos.

The information is as follows: it is a keywind, and beginning with the face:

FACE: It looks a bit like Mother of Pearl, and is engraved with a tall ship, ocean, mountains, and tropical buildings and palm trees. The hands are black while the Roman Numerals are in gold.

BACK INSIDE LEFT TO RIGHT: Top has a number of 22466 while at the right side it reads something like "tgtt?g", K 188 (with the second 8 far smaller, and extremely close to the first 8) And, a final #13268 which repeats itself on the dust cover and the works as well.

OUTSIDE OF DUST COVER: Reads exactly from top to bottom,
    CYLINDER (SCRIPT)
    Four
    Holes Jewelled
    Hands - (keyhole) - No 13268
    M J Tobias & Co
    Liverpool

INSIDE OF DUSTCOVER: To the left at the bottom, the number 13268 appears again.

WORKS: Well, I don't know much about them at all, but I hope the photo can tell you about it. They look like what I found in researching other pocket watches.

I did polish it with a gold polishing cloth, and was amazed at the dirt on it, but it polished up rather nicely, and is definitely gold in color.. Needs a bit more, though. My Mother did not know it was gold in color, and always thought it was silver. Probably because of the dirt on it.

Any information on it would be appreciated. It is attached to a fob, and it is up in the air whether or not it is gold. Parts polish gold well, others do not. The chain needs extensive polishing.

The note cards which came with it state this:

1st card: Tobias, Morris 1798-1800
    Tobias, Morris & Co Wapping 1804-12
    2nd card: M. J. Tobias & Co Liverpool # 13268

For future references, I have also included my observations on these cards as well as photos of the watch.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100E0237.jpg   100_0226.jpg   100E0233.jpg   100E0239.jpg   100_0224.jpg  

Default Re: M J Tobias Pocket Watch Identification? (RE: Smiley4554)

In the 19th century, the Swiss were not the pre-eminent watchmakers they later became. They made many imitation American watches, and they made many watches that claimed the provenance of famous British watchmakers. One such watchmaker was M.I. Tobias. There probably are 20 M.J. Tobias watches (or more) for every genuine M.I. Tobias. Some may have been retailed by Tobias' successors. Others likely were 19 Century equivalents of fake Rolexes, etcs.

The movement in your watch appears to be rather ordinary and typical Swiss cylinder mid-19th century movement, but there is nothing wrong with that, of course.

Registered user. Jerry Matthews's Avatar

Default Re: M J Tobias Pocket Watch Identification? (RE: Ethan Lipsig)

I have to agree with Mr Lipsig. I don't think your watch ever saw Liverpool in England nor did it have anything to do with M J Tobias or his successors.

Having said all of that, it is an interesting looking watch.
    Jerry

Default Re: M J Tobias Pocket Watch Identification? (RE: Jerry Matthews)

Thank you both for you information. I will print it out and place it with the watch for future owners.

I have an M J Tobias & Co London watch, otherwise pretty similar to this one. 13 Jewels Detached Lever. All the references I can find for M J Tobias include "Liverpool". Does anyone know about London? Any ideas on date ?

Default Re: M J Tobias Pocket Watch Identification? (RE: MartyR)

Morris Tobias (the uncle) operated from London but not his nephew M.I. Tobias (not M.J. Tobias). If your watch is a bar movement it is Swiss made. Mike

i have enclosed the photos of my watch. is a real m j tobias or a swiss copy?

inside it says m j tobias liverpool
    hands
    detached lever
    full jeweled
    inside 11
    ty
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Quote Originally Posted by CZHACK View Post
    Morris Tobias (the uncle) operated from London but not his nephew M.I. Tobias (not M.J. Tobias). If your watch is a bar movement it is Swiss made. Mike
    how can i tell a bar movement? can you tell the year?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20101119_103116612.jpg   20101119_103022887.jpg   20101119_102703982.jpg   20101119_102600716.jpg   20101119_102539604.jpg  

Default Re: M J Tobias Pocket Watch Identification? (RE: deco123)

A BEAUTIFUL ENGRAVED GOLD PLATED WATCH, Double Case, Lever Cap, small size, enameled dial, cut hands, " English Movements," and correct time keeper. A single one sent free by mail in neat case, with a beautiful chain, for only $8. A neat SILVER WATCH, same as above, specially adapted to the ARMY. Sent free by mail, for only $7. $15 European Timekeeper. $15 OR, COMPASS WATCH. A SUPERB "Extra Double Gold Plated" engraved or engine turned Hunting Case Watch, Magic Spring, "Genuine English Jeweled or Nickel Movements," "M. J. TOBIAS" Independent Action, Self Balance, and has a NEAT MINIATURE COMPASS sunk in the cap and attached to the movements, making it a "Correct Guide" to the Soldier or Traveler. Perfect time-keeper, " warranted one year." WILL STAND ACID, and is an Exact Imitation of $100 Watch, Used by the British Army Officers. Sent free by mail, in elegant Morocco Case, for only $15. Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper of Feb. 20 says of the "European Timekeeper," "It is a novelty here, and an imitation of the celebrated timekeeper as much in use among the British army officers, and is calculated to meet the wants of our soldiers in the field." Illustrated News says, " Correct timepieces ; and for beauty and fine finish they are equal in appearance to $100 watches." Address CHAS. P. NORTON & CO.