Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 5058 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    AllenO

Default Ingraham Biltmore Pocketwatch

I have an Ingraham Biltmore Pocketwatch that was given to me by my grandfather in the early to mid 1960s.

It is a "dollar" type watch very similar in type and size to the Westclox Bulls Eye pocketwatches.

It has a silver colored case, plastic crystal, black hour numbers and black hour and minute marks, and black hour and minute hands.

It also has a sweep second dial at the 6 o'clock position that has a black second hand and minute marks and 10 minute numbers.

The watch is not running but I do not think it is broken. I think something in the works is just frozen. I know the watch is not worth much but is means some to me since my grandfather gave it to me.

Does anyone know of anyone who might be able to get this watch running again? I would like names and contact information on anyone who I might be able to contact about this.

Thanks!

AllenO

Default Ingraham Biltmore Pocketwatch (RE: AllenO)

I have an Ingraham Biltmore Pocketwatch that was given to me by my grandfather in the early to mid 1960s.

It is a "dollar" type watch very similar in type and size to the Westclox Bulls Eye pocketwatches.

It has a silver colored case, plastic crystal, black hour numbers and black hour and minute marks, and black hour and minute hands.

It also has a sweep second dial at the 6 o'clock position that has a black second hand and minute marks and 10 minute numbers.

The watch is not running but I do not think it is broken. I think something in the works is just frozen. I know the watch is not worth much but is means some to me since my grandfather gave it to me.

Does anyone know of anyone who might be able to get this watch running again? I would like names and contact information on anyone who I might be able to contact about this.

Thanks!

Allen, I will give you this tip for a dollar watch. Don't ever try it on a jeweled watch. This has worked for me. A dollar watch is all metal on metal for the works. Give the pivots of the balance (that is the wheel that you can see in the back) a very quick, small shot of WD-40. This has loosened up many old dollar watches for me. Some I have had for 10 years and they still run fine. Again, DO NOT do this with a jeweled watch. Tom

AllenO

Well this Ingraham watch acts like it is wound too tight. You cannot wind it at all. But I cannot see anything broken in it.

What would the WD-40 do?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Many people think WD-40 is a lubricant. It actually is a dehydrating agent that happens to have a little lubrication side effect. The net effect of using it is to create a nice grinding slurry in the pivots.

If you use to loosen something, you should immediately clean whatever you used it on since it will cause etching and destroy the metal parts if left there for a long time. A lot of good brass clocks have been damaged by WD40.

------------------
    Tom McIntyre
    President, NAWCC Chapter 174
    Pocket Horology Web
    Tommy the JOAT's Web
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

AllenO

So do any of you have any idea how I can get my watcg working again?

I cannot find anyone willing to work on "dollar" watches.

Thanks

AllenO

You might try The Escapement, but the cost may surprise you.

[This message has been edited by Kent (edited 01-16-2001).]
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia