Month's Goal: $300, Received: $230.00 - (77%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2101 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default What happens overnight??

I got out of my bed this morning and went down to the living room were my Schatz midget and my Kern 354 are, both of them were running exactly on time yesterday night when I left the room to get some hours sleep.
    Room temperature was 21 degr. C. and I put the thermostat at 18 Degrees C. before I went to bed.
    This morning both clocks were running 4 minutes fast!
    I cannot imagine, the temperature change can cause such a big difference to make this change or can it? I do this every night, never had this thing happen before!
    The Kern has a factory assembled suspension unit mounted and the Schatz has a Holorovar suspension spring.
    Regards,
    Paul T.

Default Re: What happens overnight?? (RE: Paul Tummers)

Hi Paul

Did you set the clocks last night, or were they just running on time?

My Kern & Link has taken a few weeks to get it to run on time, but finally it appears to be running just great.

Still canot get my Schatz 53 to run for any lenght of time so will PM you later to find out how you solved your suspension bracket problem.

EliTom

Default Re: What happens overnight?? (RE: EliTom)

Quote Originally Posted by EliTom View Post
    Hi Paul

Did you set the clocks last night, or were they just running on time?

My Kern & Link has taken a few weeks to get it to run on time, but finally it appears to be running just great.

Still canot get my Schatz 53 to run for any lenght of time so will PM you later to find out how you solved your suspension bracket problem.

EliTom
    The Kern was running and giving exact time for 2 months now, the Schatz is just running for a couple of days since I actually found out the correct? hight for the anchor bearing which is located in the saddle unit recently, I am waiting for another dial and hands Shutterbug has sent to me some days agoo, might take a while for them untill they arrive
    I was thinking of binding mainsprings against the bottom- or top lid of the drum, but this should cause the clocks to run slow-or- perhaps there has been the co-incidence , the both of them were regulated when the mainspring was rubbing against the drum somewere and last night this obstruction was gone in the uncoiling movement of the mainspring, I really do not know, everything goes so very slowly in these movements.
    Please place some photos in the forum of your clock in the actual situation, there are people around in this forum,who have forgotten more about clocks than I ever learned about them!
    Regards,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Tummers View Post
    The Kern was running and giving exact time for 2 months now, the Schatz is just running for a couple of days since I actually found out the correct? hight for the anchor bearing which is located in the saddle unit recently, I am waiting for another dial and hands Shutterbug has sent to me some days agoo, might take a while for them untill they arrive
    I was thinking of binding mainsprings against the bottom- or top lid of the drum, but this should cause the clocks to run slow-or- perhaps there has been the co-incidence , the both of them were regulated when the mainspring was rubbing against the drum somewere and last night this obstruction was gone in the uncoiling movement of the mainspring, I really do not know, everything goes so very slowly in these movements.
    Please place some photos in the forum of your clock in the actual situation, there are people around in this forum,who have forgotten more about clocks than I ever learned about them!
    Regards,
    Paul.
    I can't see it being the mainspring binding. These clocks have such low power loss that is the mainspring was binding I would expect them to run erractically and possibly stop. Also if both clocks gained the same time its almost an impossiblity that both had the same mechanical fault in the smae night.

Must be an external influence - a ghost perhaps! See if the same happens tonight

I will start a new thread about my Schatz 53 and see if I can get some help.

I have just tried another theory and its ran for 15 minutes and now has stopped. I have some nice clear photos to post.

EliTom

Blog Entries

Default Re: What happens overnight?? (RE: EliTom)

I know all my anniversary clocks run faster in the winter.
    But i suspect there may have been some flutter on your clock.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: What happens overnight?? (RE: Kevin W.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin West View Post
    I know all my anniversary clocks run faster in the winter.
    But i suspect there may have been some flutter on your clock.
    Could be, but on both clocks, same amount?
    A temperature difference of only 3#Cels. cannot cause this, and both clocks are in places not subject to vibrations.
    Regards,
    Paul.

Is there a proper way to time these clocks? I have used trial and error- letting the clock run for at least a day before trying a new adjustment.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: What happens overnight?? (RE: sderek)

Quote Originally Posted by sderek View Post
    Is there a proper way to time these clocks? I have used trial and error- letting the clock run for at least a day before trying a new adjustment.
    Sderek, what you are doing is the best way to achieve fine tuning unless you have a Microset timer hooked up to a computer so you can track the performance.

One thing I've mentioned many times before on this forum, is to BE SURE you are making adjustments starting with the clock running too fast, then adjust toward slowing it down. That ensures the pendulum parts are well seated and eliminates that source of error. Also, you should record how much time is gained after each adjustment, that allows you to "calibrate" how much you can turn the rating nut for a given result. If you overshoot, you need to start over with the clock running too fast and try again.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Tummers View Post
    Could be, but on both clocks, same amount?
    A temperature difference of only 3#Cels. cannot cause this, and both clocks are in places not subject to vibrations.
    Regards,
    Paul.
    Paul, I agree a 3º temperature change should not have caused the clocks to speed up. The only advice I can give is for you to do a controlled experiment, set the clocks and leave the temperature the same overnight, then the next night lower the temperature and see what happens.