Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2091 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Waltham 37 size car clock identification

Hello Everyone,
    This question pertains to Waltham 37 size car clocks. In the NAWCC Bulletin dated April, 2002 volume 44-2 #337, there are some pictures of Waltham car clocks.
    On the cover is a picture of a triangle shaped clock with a Doler-Zink case.
    Does anyone know what type of car this clock is from?

Any help would be appreciated

Default Re: Waltham 37 size car clock identification (RE: Scott Martinez)

Can you send me a picture of this clock? I have a catalog that shows some car clocks and the make of car they went in. Maybe that will help. You can post it or email it to me by PM.

Default Re: Waltham 37 size car clock identification (RE: Dennis46)

Ok, here are some pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d79e_12.jpg   dcb2_12.jpg  

Hi Dennis, Here are a couple of pictures of the clock. Recently on ebay, a seller had a similar clock which was missing the bezel and glass.
    The seller indicated that the clock was from a Hudson TerraPlane. The serial number of my clock is 26,800,763 which dates the movement to 1928. According to wikipedia, Hudson did not start making the TerraPlane until 1932. I did some research into this and I noticed that the clock looks similar to the Hudson Motors logo design. So far I have not found a Hudson car on the internet with this clock. I would appreciate any help you can offer.
    Thanks, Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d211_12.jpg   db6d_12.jpg   e1e8_12.jpg  

Try your question over at the pocket watch section too. Folks over there know everything Waltham

Default Re: Waltham 37 size car clock identification (RE: shutterbug)

Hello,

Waltham made 1.8 million of these size 37 movements over the years in runs of 500 to several thousand. It is very conceivable that the movement could have been manufactured in 1928 and not used until much later.

Often a run of pocket watches within a serial number database shows an approximate manufacture date, but we have no idea (70-100 years later) what Waltham actually did during that manufacturing run. They could have manufactured half one year and another half of a run years later.

Regarding the correct clock for a certain model - there are alot of antique car enthusiasts out there who find and restore old vehicles I am sure original or reproductions of old sales catalogs probably exist.

Andy

Default Re: Waltham 37 size car clock identification (RE: Andy Dervan)

Scott,
    I looked in the "Waltham Catalogue of Automobile and Desk Clock Case Parts" and did not see a picture of anything similar to your clock. They did show two cases for a Hudson but both were round with a mounting bracket for the dash. This, of course, does not mean that your clock was not made for a Hudson.

Try contacting one of the Hudson car clubs on the web.

I share your frustration in finding information on the size 37 clocks. If you find any information on how to repair them, please let me know.

Default Re: Waltham 37 size car clock identification (RE: Dennis46)

Hi Dennis, Thanks for looking. I have contacted a couple of car clubs. So far , no response. Hopefully someone on this forum will know about this clock. As to repairs, I have successfully repaired these clocks. What are you having trouble with?

Banned

When I was a kid, one of the neighbors had an old Essex. I think I remember the clock looking like that. It was mounted in the center of the dashboard. It would make sense if they were used in Hudsons, as well, because Hudson bought out both Essex and Terraplane (which was by then a subsidiary of Essex Motors) in the mid-thirties.

Default Re: Waltham 37 size car clock identification (RE: Dave B)

Thanks to Dave B. for that little tidbit.

I have been told by the people who should know, that there is no such thing as a Service Manual or Military Manual or any other type of manual for repairing Waltham 37 size clocks.

Well, I found one.
    Unfortunately, it is missing the sections on clocks and only covers Waltham speedometers.

Here are some pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   app list.jpg   parts list.jpg   20-l.jpg   1930.jpg  

1939.jpg  

Hello Scott and Dennis;

Waltham published periodically parts lists the last one was 1954; there is a section on these size 37 movements and there were 2 models (pre/post 1926), so you have to know which time span the movement falls into. I believe company changed the escape wheel.

Finding springs is becoming difficult, because it takes two of them.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: Waltham 37 size car clock identification (RE: Andy Dervan)

Hello Andy, The serial number of the movement is 26,800,763 which dates it to 1928. I am trying to figure out what model of car my clock was used in. I think that it is probably from a Hudson. Maybe a Terraplane or an Essex. If you look at the pictures I posted, you will see that this clock is different from most of the other styles of clocks that Waltham made. I believe that this service manual originally had some data about the various car models that the speedometers and clock were used in. If anyone in this forum has some information about this clock or this service manual, please let me know. Thanks, Scott