Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2136 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Schatz 50 Cuckoo Movement

Below are three photos of my Schatz 50 Cuckoo movement (before cleaning).

There is a wire connected to the back plate and it goes under that one lever as shown. Where does it extend to on the front plate - through the hole of the black lever or under the black lever in that groove?

I have been trying to get all those levers on the front in the right position to start testing. Any hints are much appreciated!!!

Thanks a million!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Side w Arrows.jpg   Back w Arrows.jpg   Front w Arrows.jpg  

Default Re: Schatz 50 Cuckoo Movement (RE: MuensterMann)

That wire is a spring, and probably goes under the lever, in the groove.

Default Re: Schatz 50 Cuckoo Movement (RE: shutterbug)

I have it in the groove now, after having in the hole. When in the hole I was wondering why they have that groove there - perhaps that is where it belongs. Of course, now I am wondering why they have that hole there!

I have the movement with weights on the clock stand now and the time is working! Now, I just must figure out how to get strike drive in order. I cannot get the sequence right. Any help!?

What's it doing? Can you describe what you see as it approaches the hour?

Well, as I move the minute hand manually - it does not start the striking on the hour. Every once in a while I notice the sound of the warning - but nothing follows.

If I lift the lever near the fly, it starts the fly and the striking (counting as the counter moves down the rack) - but seems to strikes the same amount each time. If I move the hour hand, I can get the strike count to change.

May be it's not lifting high enough to go from warning to strike, as it does so manually. Strikes the same hour every time? GREAT! It should. That's the beauty of a rack 'n snail strike system. It will ALWAYS know what hour to strike. Look for inadequate lift perhaps.

Default Re: Schatz 50 Cuckoo Movement (RE: Scottie-TX)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie-TX View Post
    May be it's not lifting high enough to go from warning to strike, as it does so manually. Strikes the same hour every time? GREAT! It should. That's the beauty of a rack 'n snail strike system. It will ALWAYS know what hour to strike. Look for inadequate lift perhaps.
    That sounds right. Check the lift area, to see what is preventing adequate lift. Could be the lift cam worn or the lever. When you find the problem and fix it the clock should work You're getting close!

Yes, the snail and rack system seem to be working. One thing that I have noticed is that the levers associated with the pull string (the string that connects to the loop at the front right for advancing) do not so freely move up (when string is pulled) and then does not fall freely with gravity. I must push it down. This does not seem to be right - and could be the problem, since the strike moves when I play around with that lever.

Yeah, frankly I was wondering about that string. I can't see a purpose for it unless someone wanted to hear the strike again. It might have a benefit for a blind person, but I see no other use for it on a rack and snail movement.
    That lever must move freely and easily. If it won't move, the clock will stop due to lack of power to push it up. You should be able to remove it, and find what is binding it up. I agree, that's the likely cause of your problem. Of course, what it's pushing against could be the problem too. You'll have to check out each part individually.

The movement looks a tad dirty, you are probably fighting dirt and not a mechanism problem.

Default Re: Schatz 50 Cuckoo Movement (RE: al_taka)

Quote Originally Posted by al_taka View Post
    The movement looks a tad dirty, you are probably fighting dirt and not a mechanism problem.
    Yeah, but he mentioned that those pictures were dated BC (before cleaning)

The string is there to make it easier to trigger the strike train whilst trying to get everything adjusted when it's in the case. That's all. Once everything is running right, it's not needed.

Some possibly useful info may be found at these threads.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...ghlight=schatz

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t...ghlight=schatz

And yes, the unlocking lever (the one with the string) needs to be able to fall freely. Check for a sticking pivot pin (somebody oiled it?) or for rubbing on something.

bangster
    Last edited by bangster; 01-04-2009 at 12:03 PM.
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.

Default Re: Schatz 50 Cuckoo Movement (RE: al_taka)

Al: The first sentence of the thread states the photos are "before cleaning." It looks super now! I just didn't take any photos of it in the super condition.

Anyway, that lever was a problem. It was rubbing near the rack, thus the friction would not let it fall. I bent the lever out a bit and it is functioning now.

However, I still must figure out to make it function well! The minute hand points to minutes 22 and 52 when it strikes. How does one tweak that to make it strike on 00 and 30?

Another problem is that it is striking okay for the 52 position (the number of times for the hour), but it is not striking just one time for the other position - for the half hour. How do I adjust that?

Getting closer!!

I just read the other posts on Page 2 AFTER posting message. Thanks for the links to Schatz cuckoo information!

Getting it to strike when the hand points to 12?
    If the minute hand has a brass bushing with a square hole, the adjustment is easy: Turn the bushing in the hand so that, when the strike starts, the hand is pointing straight up.
    If the minute hand does NOT have a bushing, the adjustment may not be so easy. First, try turning the hand over, front to back, and see if that does the job. If not, get back to us.

bangster
    1. Check out the REPAIR HINTS & HOW-TO's forum! Click Here.