Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2146 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Old Regina PW

Registered user.

Default Old Regina PW

Hi all, newbie here. Found my gran dads old Regina (Omega for Canada) pocket watch. It's in sad shape. It winds but doesn't run. Gears move and can set time (even though hands are missing). Damaged dial at the 4. I believe it's from the mid 1920's with Mira gold filled case. Has sentimental value, so is it worth restoring? Images are posted on my album. Or you can see them on the web site url listed below.

Thx, Roland.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Old Regina PW (RE: Snowunder2feet)

Hi, Roland, welcome to the message board. I am going to move your thread down to the European Pocketwatch forum for better exposure. Good luck with it
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Smile Re: Old Regina PW (RE: harold bain)

Hi Roland:

Your "gran dads old Regina" (which you mentioned elsewhere as "5549052 and is also adjusted 2 positions, but only 7 jewels") is a modest watch. It is normal to compare the cost of servicing and repairing a pocket watch to the value of that watch as a collectable in order to decide whether or not to have the work done. However, when the watch is a family heirloom, the issue is much more difficult to judge, and depends upon one's sense of family history. It is one thing to have and display grandfather's watch (perhaps in an inexpensive glass watch dome). It is quite another to be able to wear it (running and keeping reasonable time) on important occasions, especially family occasions. Whatever it costs to service and repair a watch today, it will cost more (with parts being a little harder to find) ten, twenty or thirty years from now when you might want to pass it on to the next generation. Nobody can really advise you which way to go on this subject. Of course, personal financial circumstances must be considered. Each person must decide on his/her own.

Omega documentation* shows these serial number ranges ans dates:
    1,000,000 = 1907-1910-1912
    2,000,000 = 1904 - 1916
    3,000,000 = 1906 - 1919
    4,000,000 = 1910 - 1919
    5,000,000 = 1916 - 1927
    6,000,000 = 1923 - 1927
    7,000,000 = 1920 - 1935

* Omega memo:
    Bienne la 16 Fevrier 1970
    Concerne Annees de fabrication

It seems that, like Hamilton and, to some extent, Hampden and Seth Thomas, Omega may have pre-assigned huge blocks of serial numbers to different models or grades. This would account for overlapping series' of numbers, spanning a number of years.

Since your watch falls in the range of 1916-1927, family history might be the best way of narrowing down the date of the watch. Your belief of it being from the 1920s is probably as good as its going to get.

Please try again to post the pictures.

Thanks,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Registered user.

Default Re: Old Regina PW (RE: Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Hi Roland:

Your "gran dads old Regina" (which you mentioned elsewhere as "5549052 and is also adjusted 2 positions, but only 7 jewels") is a modest watch. It is normal to compare the cost of servicing and repairing a pocket watch to the value of that watch as a collectable in order to decide whether or not to have the work done. However, when the watch is a family heirloom, the issue is much more difficult to judge, and depends upon one's sense of family history. It is one thing to have and display grandfather's watch (perhaps in an inexpensive glass watch dome). It is quite another to be able to wear it (running and keeping reasonable time) on important occasions, especially family occasions. Whatever it costs to service and repair a watch today, it will cost more (with parts being a little harder to find) ten, twenty or thirty years from now when you might want to pass it on to the next generation. Nobody can really advise you which way to go on this subject. Of course, personal financial circumstances must be considered. Each person must decide on his/her own.

Omega documentation* shows these serial number ranges ans dates:
    1,000,000 = 1907-1910-1912
    2,000,000 = 1904 - 1916
    3,000,000 = 1906 - 1919
    4,000,000 = 1910 - 1919
    5,000,000 = 1916 - 1927
    6,000,000 = 1923 - 1927
    7,000,000 = 1920 - 1935

* Omega memo:
    Bienne la 16 Fevrier 1970
    Concerne Annees de fabrication

It seems that, like Hamilton and, to some extent, Hampden and Seth Thomas, Omega may have pre-assigned huge blocks of serial numbers to different models or grades. This would account for overlapping series' of numbers, spanning a number of years.

Since your watch falls in the range of 1916-1927, family history might be the best way of narrowing down the date of the watch. Your belief of it being from the 1920s is probably as good as its going to get.

Please try again to post the pictures.

Thanks,
    Hi Kent, thank you for the time to answer my posting. I'll have to at least get a quote to repair and put a cap of say 100, which might not get it done, we'll see.
    I have images at www.doneright.ca/regina.html

Thx, Roland.

Smile Re: Old Regina PW (RE: Snowunder2feet)

For repair work, you might try contacting Doug Sinclair in Calgary (you can send a post to Doug by clicking on his name in the upper left-hand corner of his post and viewing his Public Profile). If that doesn't work, contact me and I'll give you his contact information (you can send an email to me by clicking on my name in the upper left-hand corner of this post and viewing my Public Profile).

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old Regina PW (RE: Kent)

Hi Roland that is a nice old watch.like said if it is important to you because your grand dad owned it perhaps you would like to see it run again.It looks to me like the movement is not original to the case, screw marks on case dont line up to screws that hold movement into case.
    There are NAWCC chapters in Ontario, quite a few actually.maybe someone locally can help you if you decide to get this restored.
    I noticed too the dial is in sad shape, too bad, it can be repaired some but will not look as good as it was before.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: Old Regina PW (RE: Kevin W.)

Thanks Guys for the encouraging words. Do any of you know if there's a chapter in Toronto? Do they have a web site? Thx, Roland.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old Regina PW (RE: Snowunder2feet)

There is a Toronto Chapter.if you go to the main page and look on the left side at Chapter info.No website but there is contact info for the secretary there.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Old Regina PW (RE: Kevin W.)

Roland, go to
    www.torontochapter33.ca
    The next meeting is January 11, 2009.
    I would be happy to sign you in, if you would like to attend.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"